Light aircraft

AVB

3 hours ago, blackbird said:

Nothing to do with light aircraft but if you have never seen the ISS it will be visible tonight @ 7.21pm for approximately 1min.

It visible quite often. When Tim Peek was up there my Mrs would often drag us all outside to watch him  (I think she has a soft spot for him). Once we were in Portugal and she called me out to see Tim fly over. I wandered outside, looking upwards, and walked straight into the pool (fully clothed of course as we were about to go out for dinner). If Tim was watching I reckon he had a right laugh 

24 minutes ago, AVB said:

It visible quite often. When Tim Peek was up there my Mrs would often drag us all outside to watch him  (I think she has a soft spot for him). Once we were in Portugal and she called me out to see Tim fly over. I wandered outside, looking upwards, and walked straight into the pool (fully clothed of course as we were about to go out for dinner). If Tim was watching I reckon he had a right laugh 

😂😂😂

7 hours ago, Eyefor said:

I've sat in several aircraft cockpit's arriving at the old HK airport and watched the marker boards on the hill align before "Sharp right NOW"! No direct ILS approach in them days.

Put "Kai Tak" in to YouTube for some interesting approaches.

Also (allegedly) a plane out of Kai Tak landed at Heathrow with a washing line attached to its tail where occupants of the high rise flats used to string their washing between buildings!! 

I used to live in HK and loved flying into Kai Tak. Looking at the people in their apartments watching TV as you flew between them was something else. I remember once landing in a typhoon and was probably the most frightening (and exhilarating) landing I have ever experienced.  

Touched down in Riga during a particularly cold January, plane literally kicked its back end out just like tail sliding your truck in the mud.  That sorted out the constipation.  At the bottom of the steps my feet went straight out from under me.... I think it was so cold they'd given up with de-icing the runway as it wasn't having any effect!

Coming back in to Stansted one time the pilot must have thought the plane was a tennis ball, he bounced it that many times along the runway.

I hate flying.

On 23/01/2021 at 10:35, AVB said:

I remember reading that the Red Bull Air Race champion was a BA pilot. I always worried about getting on a BA flight and him being the pilot in case he forget what plane he was flying. 

I know what you mean.  I have a good friend who now flew for BA.  Previously he flew Tornadoes in the gulf and I’ve seen in cockpit go pro footage of him causing my wife to throw up in his camera bag 😀 in a small stunt plane.  If I ever got on a flight and heard his voice come over the tannoy I’d be asking a steward to knock on the cockpit door just to remind him what he was flying that day.

9 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

My little lad used to fly Tornado. How about a sheep strike in Scotland? That's low. Or digging grooves in the Afgan desert sand with the airflow from your wingtip!

How the **** can you hit a sheep in a Tornado? Was it during landing or did somebody throw it off a mountain as he flew past? I’m intrigued. 

43 minutes ago, AVB said:

How the **** can you hit a sheep in a Tornado? Was it during landing or did somebody throw it off a mountain as he flew past? I’m intrigued. 

Wing tip caught it on a hillside. Tornados dont always fly straight ad level, sometimes cranked right over on their side.

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Go on write us a story or two!:good:

Thankfully I always walked away but it got a bit hairy once or twice.   In evitable over 42 years of flying and a career that went from piston engines to jets and navigators with sextants to satnav and autolandings. 

Never bent one though or damaged a passenger, except parachutists and they don't count because they are totally doolally anyway.

One thing does amuse me.   Stories in the pub where the narrator says "and the Captain told us it was the worst conditions he'd ever flown in".   How many times I have used that expression over the PA I just couldn't count.   All adds to the excitement of the holiday and ensures they got their moneys worth...

Was a crop duster and bush pilot for some years. Had shaky knee syndrome after flying through a wire with my duster. Had a few friends die on the job. 
      Every duster pilot I know has had a wreck.

I paid for my license and owned my planes. There is too much bs from people in military who didn’t fly their own plane or pay for their licence. 

I was sponsored by Maersk at one point they provided the BA short haul service. Coming back into Birmingham one night from Germany I managed to get a seta in the cockpit on some booster seat between the two pilots for the landing. It was awesome, except I had to stay in the cockpit whilst all the other passengers got off first.

48 minutes ago, Grandalf said:

One thing does amuse me.   Stories in the pub where the narrator says "and the Captain told us it was the worst conditions he'd ever flown in".   How many times I have used that expression over the PA I just couldn't count.   All adds to the excitement of the holiday and ensures they got their moneys worth...

I waited on a pontoon with my suitcases for a sea plane to land and pick me up in the Maldives. It was rough and I feeling queasy just waiting. Plane landed and captain got out to load the luggage. I was sitting just behind him and said something like, this rough sea must make the job more interesting. He said 'I just hope we can get off the water'. From that moment on I was praying for the same ???

Edited by oowee

54 minutes ago, dogone said:

Was a crop duster and bush pilot for some years. Had shaky knee syndrome after flying through a wire with my duster. Had a few friends die on the job. 
      Every duster pilot I know has had a wreck.

I paid for my license and owned my planes. There is too much bs from people in military who didn’t fly their own plane or pay for their licence. 

Crop dusting was my aim when I started flying, then life got in the way.