Farmers alert!

dead eye alan

Today I have received two texts from farmers informing me that there's loads of pigeons on he rape! One even went out and put a couple of shots up to move them on.

So I have asked them both to refrain from putting gas guns out until I have had a go to reduce the numbers. Out in the morning on the easiest to get to, went at 2.30 and took some kit

ready for morning, sorted carts and put in airing cupboard, put shield on truck screen to protect from frost. PS at 2.30 I must have put up at least 150 on my chosen spot.

So I will leave home at 7am to be set up and ready for the hordes by 7.45. WISH ME LUCK.

50 minutes ago, Edenshooter said:

Good luck dead eye. I too am out first light, there must be a thousand or more on my permission. It's a pheasant shoot so I normally don't get chance to hit them before February. Is that your experience hawkfanz on early osr? Just so I can set my expectations lol

Set your expectations at zero when out at first light on OSR.

Good luck DEA.

GOOD LUCK for tomorrow , if your weather forecast is the same as ours , very little wind and a frost you might need a bit of luck .

I no longer go in the mornings but when I did I found decoying on rape that was covered in frost was very similar to decoying on a field covered with a light fall of snow , hard work , once the sun got up and melted the frost it was a different story and decoying was back on . a lot will depend on how long the pigeons have been feeding on the rape , if only a few days then you might move them on after the first few shots , if they have got used to being undisturbed after a week or more then you might get them come back that much better , still there is only one way way to find out and hopefully you have caught it right :good:

9 hours ago, the hitman said:

Good luck tomorrow Dead eye. Perhaps consider not rushing onto the field at first light- possibly give them time to start moving, find your spot to set up - pushing them off before your begin shooting. In my experience if you are in the right place then a magnet works a treat on OSR.

Thanks HM the magnet and battery are already in place just got to put the birds on it and off we go.

12 hours ago, JDog said:

Set your expectations at zero when out at first light on OSR.

Good luck DEA.

Every birds a bonus. Just hope I don't run out of CARTRIDGES!

17 hours ago, marsh man said:

GOOD LUCK for tomorrow , if your weather forecast is the same as ours , very little wind and a frost you might need a bit of luck .

I no longer go in the mornings but when I did I found decoying on rape that was covered in frost was very similar to decoying on a field covered with a light fall of snow , hard work , once the sun got up and melted the frost it was a different story and decoying was back on . a lot will depend on how long the pigeons have been feeding on the rape , if only a few days then you might move them on after the first few shots , if they have got used to being undisturbed after a week or more then you might get them come back that much better , still there is only one way way to find out and hopefully you have caught it right :good:

I am back after an early morning start. Hard frost and -4 degrees, no wind. Set up first light. Magnet and some shells on  field of OSR that has been hard hit for over a fortnight. However, Birds started to move onto another field in view. Cannot reason why that happened! But nothing much else moved for a while, until as you said, the sun shone and melted a bit of frost! But it was noon and I couldn't feel my toes.. so I packed up. At least I have learned a bit of field craft - winter osr and hard frost, have a lie in and wait for things to warm up!

Well it didn't turn out to well, thick fog on the field could only see about 45 yards at 7.50am all set up and having a brew. First bird in 8.01 2 shots put it on the deck, followed by 2 more fairly quickly then a lull, had 6 in the first hour and the fog was getting thicker. The fog started to clear about 10ish but the shooting never really got going, packed up 11.45 with 11 for 18 shots. So a little disappointing but some fresh meat for the week. 

23 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

Well it didn't turn out to well, thick fog on the field could only see about 45 yards at 7.50am all set up and having a brew. First bird in 8.01 2 shots put it on the deck, followed by 2 more fairly quickly then a lull, had 6 in the first hour and the fog was getting thicker. The fog started to clear about 10ish but the shooting never really got going, packed up 11.45 with 11 for 18 shots. So a little disappointing but some fresh meat for the week. 

Well you were out longer than I expected, in the past I have had a go at decoying at first light but never done any good as after the first few birds they usually head off for safer feeding ground.

Top marks for having a go, you must be a youngster.

2 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

You did well to shoot 11 from 18 shots. We will be calling you Dead Eye Alan next.

2 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

That would have been a good few hours out for me with a reasonable return. Like others, I very rarely go out first thing these days.

If you go out with low expectations, then you will not be disappointed, but I do understand the anticipation of a potentially good day.

As Old`un above said "Shoot before 10am and you`ll be home by 11am" and you very nearly were.

Good shooting nevertheless.

OB

3 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

Well done mate - a respectable bag give the time of year and the conditions that you were shooting in.

Experience is so important in this sport, gone are the days when I would be out regardless of the weather conditions.

Keep an eye on the same area as you probably haven’t done much damage, and they could well return and give you another crack in the near future.

Hitman