Japanese rust buckets

islandgun

Just looking at Autotrader and was scanning the Landcruiser pages, put in a max of £10,000 and thought there might be something tidy turn up.  Without exception every MOT i looked at in that price range was suffering rust of the chassis. Im waiting for my old Colorado to be taken away and this morning attached the batteries and turned the key away it roared [it hasn't been started since the summer], so there we have it, fantastic engine carp chassis. Ive had 2 Landcruisers both needed welding !, question... are jap motors more prone to rust than Brit Landrovers, or Scandinavian and German models...By the way you can get a very nice Freelander 2 for that kind of money.

19 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

To be fair, that might be more a function of where you live

True but the example from Autotrader was UK wide. I wont buy a vehicle from Scotland tbh and would prefer to buy from the sunny shires that rarely get covered in ice/salt..🙂

Edited by islandgun

1 hour ago, ninjaferret said:

I used to buy at an auction outside of Dublin then fetch them over here , fresh imports from Japan. Never had any rust so soon as they arrived Waxoyled and never a problem. And also a new set of tyres as the jap one's are a harder compound and slip a bit.It could be worth looking at.

Sounds good, will look up importers.👍

Last year i bought a 3rd gen Suzuki Jimny that had previously spent 5 years on the Isle of Lewis,it was an MOT failure & mainly because of rust,i bought it as a project,luckily the previous owner on the island had gotten the chassis properly waxoiled but the sea air & road salt had certainly had a good feast on the bodywork & everything else on the underside of it!,as if Jimny's aren't bad enough for rust!,if it wasn't for the reasonably low mileage & well maintained motor i'd have walked away from it,so far it's been 6 months of relentless work,OCD = a complete nut,bolt & washer rebuild,judging by what i've had to deal with i think it's safe to say that the westetrn isles & older jap vehicles do not make a good combination 😆

8 minutes ago, 51/50 said:

Last year i bought a 3rd gen Suzuki Jimny that had previously spent 5 years on the Isle of Lewis,it was an MOT failure & mainly because of rust,i bought it as a project,luckily the previous owner on the island had gotten the chassis properly waxoiled but the sea air & road salt had certainly had a good feast on the bodywork & everything else on the underside of it!,as if Jimny's aren't bad enough for rust!,if it wasn't for the reasonably low mileage & well maintained motor i'd have walked away from it,so far it's been 6 months of relentless work,OCD = a complete nut,bolt & washer rebuild,judging by what i've had to deal with i think it's safe to say that the westetrn isles & older jap vehicles do not make a good combination 😆

I think your right..😄 any experience of landrovers, volvos, auldi's lasting longer ? 

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

I think your right..😄 any experience of landrovers, volvos, auldi's lasting longer ? 

ive had experience of hi-lux mk 4 and 5 owned both , landrover series 3 and defender owned both , going from landrover to toyota drive wise i would say the toyotas were better and less oily hands, just ask your self how many japense 4x4 20 yrs plus see knocking about compered to landrovers . the hi-lux that you see about 22-25 yrs old will have extensive chassis  and panel repairs , by the way ive had a 09 freelander 2 diesel 2.2 auto for over 6yrs 150,000mls and in all its MOTs its had one advisory for tyres and thats when i got it and the vehicle is used for my dogs and shooting and goes where the hi-lux and other japs goes in the shooting field , no rust showing on the panels  or chassis if your thinking of getting one i would highly recommend them , good ones dont come cheap but they are up there with the best , yes you will here the horror stories but thats with all makes ,

10 hours ago, redleg in kale said:

ive had experience of hi-lux mk 4 and 5 owned both , landrover series 3 and defender owned both , going from landrover to toyota drive wise i would say the toyotas were better and less oily hands, just ask your self how many japense 4x4 20 yrs plus see knocking about compered to landrovers . the hi-lux that you see about 22-25 yrs old will have extensive chassis  and panel repairs , by the way ive had a 09 freelander 2 diesel 2.2 auto for over 6yrs 150,000mls and in all its MOTs its had one advisory for tyres and thats when i got it and the vehicle is used for my dogs and shooting and goes where the hi-lux and other japs goes in the shooting field , no rust showing on the panels  or chassis if your thinking of getting one i would highly recommend them , good ones dont come cheap but they are up there with the best , yes you will here the horror stories but thats with all makes ,

Cheers good info, I loved my Landcruisers and after this one firing up after several months standing I thought i would have a look on AT. Jeez £9000 for a 2008 with an mot history of corrosion !  Iv'e got a 30yr old shogun that i use for local [limited use] and off road , bought in Leeds [ low miles garaged and solid] but the auto gear box sometime refuses to change up. Looking to buy a replacement for my van when lease runs out in March, Toyed with petrol more luxurious 4x4 as only doing low miles and occasional trips to Glasgow usually in the winter [highlands] but liking the reviews of Freelander2

9 hours ago, Wylye said:

Ten grand for a Freelander 2 will get you a great car. One of LR more successful ventures. I have a Disco Sport and I have a feeling I'm going to regret it. Nothing major, just niggles. Enough to make you feel uncomfotable.

Cheers as above, seems plenty of choice of lower mileage Freelander2's with good S/H and mot's well within the £10 thou bracket 

9 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

But luckily the US make the replace the first frame under a huge lawsuit 

2033B074-F93E-4C51-B97A-8FFF59456DEC.jpeg

Ah a Tipper

31 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Cheers good info, I loved my Landcruisers and after this one firing up after several months standing I thought i would have a look on AT. Jeez £9000 for a 2008 with an mot history of corrosion !  Iv'e got a 30yr old shogun that i use for local [limited use] and off road , bought in Leeds [ low miles garaged and solid] but the auto gear box sometime refuses to change up. Looking to buy a replacement for my van when lease runs out in March, Toyed with petrol more luxurious 4x4 as only doing low miles and occasional trips to Glasgow usually in the winter [highlands] but liking the reviews of Freelander2

Cheers as above, seems plenty of choice of lower mileage Freelander2's with good S/H and mot's well within the £10 thou bracket 

Ah a Tipper

Out of interest how do you check MOT history, sounds useful

26 minutes ago, Charliedog said:

Out of interest how do you check MOT history, sounds useful

I have found it indispensible simply google MOT then go on gov.uk website follow MOT testing,  just enter reg and it will display all past mot's and advisories, great for following trends as well, looking at several write ups for the same vehicle you can often see the same faults cropping up time after time i.e rotten chassis on Japanese 4x4's 😄

I wouldnt bother to look at a motor that has the number plate covered in the add

Edited by islandgun

The last two vans I've scrapped with a vehicle dismantler have miraculously come back from the dead.  One turned up on my neighbour's driveway, a year or so after I scrapped it, with a load of copper pipes on the roof rack.  The other, my mum happened to end up following it down the road somewhere local.... that was a proper rust bucket transit, definitely some shady business going on at the scrappie!  It needed basically rebuilding underneath, ££££'s worth of MIG work.  Just checked and it's still got a valid MOT, unbelievable!

• 2 weeks later...