Non constructible garden land pricing

Jaymo

We purchased a simlar size piece of land 34yrs ago and it was about a 5th of that price. I would say shake hands and enjoy. Believe me there is nothing like have a bit of land which acts as a buffer between you and everybody else.   We are very lucky here to have 12 acres , 10 of which are woodland to wander around in and harvest fruit from and it has been a joy during these lock downs.  Seems a lot of money now but even in five years time it will not.

Just now, Walker570 said:

We purchased a simlar size piece of land 34yrs ago and it was about a 5th of that price. I would say shake hands and enjoy. Believe me there is nothing like have a bit of land which acts as a buffer between you and everybody else.   We are very lucky here to have 12 acres , 10 of which are woodland to wander around in and harvest fruit from and it has been a joy during these lock downs.  Seems a lot of money now but even in five years time it will not.

That’s my next target- the woods beyond....can’t purchase to the right though as that’s the Churchyard- some very quiet residents live there. 

44 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

£10k sounds very reasonable to me, I sold similar for £70k.

You only get one chance at these things and it sounds worth it. Get in there before farmer offers £20k

She has a dislike of the farmer so that won’t happen 🙂 ( well I hope not) 

I bought a strip of land adjoining my plot off the council. Long story short, I paid 2.5k plus fees, for a 4x50m strip, no use to anybody else, and had been used as additional garden by previous occupiers since the 70s.
The council wanted a lot more, but I got a independent valuation off a firm who told me I was in a “unique purchaser position” and therefore it was of no use to anybody else. 
We have since built an extension on the house that would have been impossible had we not bought the additional bit. I would say go for it, if it’s not massively overpriced (as ours was when the council put their first price to us was), then go for it. 👍

I bought a triangular plot from my neighbour last year. Weirdly the little patch (20m x 20m / 2 - it’s a triangle!) was adjoining my garden but belonged to the guy across the road so not attached to his plot. Literally useless to anyone but myself and my immediate neighbour on my side of the road.

I offered him £10k plus costs. He said he couldn’t accept it but would take £7k if I covered the fees. Proper nice old boy, felt my starting bid was too high! He sadly passed a few months after the deal was done.

So as a guide I paid £20 p/m for land that was pretty useless to anyone else. Land is worth what you’re willing to pay. For you, knowing the farmer has eyes on it I’d say £10k is a no-brainer.

Get in there while you can 10k might sting now but in a few years that will all be a distant memory it will add money to your property and give you peace of mind  although you say she doesn’t like the farmer and wouldn’t sell if anything awful happens to her over the next couple of years I don’t think her family would give a toss who buys it and you could miss out   Offers like this don’t hang around long 

50 minutes ago, nobbyathome said:

Get in there while you can 10k might sting now but in a few years that will all be a distant memory it will add money to your property and give you peace of mind  although you say she doesn’t like the farmer and wouldn’t sell if anything awful happens to her over the next couple of years I don’t think her family would give a toss who buys it and you could miss out   Offers like this don’t hang around long 

That underlined is the best advice. She lives next to you. She knows you so knows the purchase won't be abused. The family if they don't intend to keep her property will not care who buys it as long as it gets the best price.

7 minutes ago, scolopax said:

Buy it now

What, this minute? It’s a Sunday dear chap!

Well, we have verbally agreed on the sum suggested.

She is selling her house and had initially told her agent it was to include this piece, so I await to see if her agent tries to convince her otherwise?

Hopefully our conveyancer will get back to me tomorrow? 

8 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

What, this minute? It’s a Sunday dear chap!

Well, we have verbally agreed on the sum suggested.

She is selling her house and had initially told her agent it was to include this piece, so I await to see if her agent tries to convince her otherwise?

Hopefully our conveyancer will get back to me tomorrow? 

Well I almost typed...buy it first thing  Monday mornings...but it was too much keyboard tapping.

Edited by scolopax

37 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Easy for us to all say buy it however £10k is a lot of money if you don’t have it and as we all know the chemtrail industry is just about hanging in there 

if you can afford it go for it but not at the cost of everything else 

The Chemtrail industry is indeed on its knees and we’ve been sent home once again on ‘gardening leave’ due to the latest restrictions.

Ten large, is a lot at anytime- esp for a piece we prob won’t ever use or need.

Fortunately we still have some ‘rainy day’ pennies available, even though I’ve gone stupidly over on the renovations and extension of our place (don’t get me started on green energy and air source heat pumps). 

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Come on, get it done and dusted!:cool1:

You will only regret it if you miss this opportunity.:rolleyes:

Yes boss.

Chatting with lady Jaymo about going back and offering less, but that comes with the risks of withdrawal of the opportunity. 
Maybe I should have counter offered? Will see if I can get a few extra m2 out of her to square it up to our plot and not have an offset!

One thing I haven’t factored in is that it’s use was originally for driving cattle back and so is actually concrete- bit short for a runway though 🙂