Dilemma

Sussexboy

Ladies and gentlemen, I have a first world problem which is causing me a dilemma. Let me first confess something. I have never watched any of the Star Wars films. My youngest daughter (aged 25, still living at home) has now got a Disney Plus subscription which we have installed on my nice new TV. I notice that it has all the SW films available. So here is the dilemma.

a) Do I even bother to watch them?

b) If the answer to “a” is yes, which order do I watch them in? First one first, or later prequels first? 

As you can see, a tricky issue. Over to you guys........

I had free subscription with a new TV, it wasnt my thing so did not bother to subscribe. 

We're all different you may find it OK, documentary type programmes are OK 

Sorry, the answer to your question LOL 

never really got into these space ship flying around sort of films. TC when i was a kid was to watch BBC2 wildlife programmes, the news and Blue Peter. 

Edited by Dougy

Get them watched you may like them.

this is the order to watch.

• Star Wars: Episode 1 – The Phantom Menace.
  • Star Wars: Episode 2 – Attack of the Clones.
  • Star Wars: Episode 3 – Revenge of the Sith.
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story.
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
  • Star Wars: Episode 4 – A New Hope.
  • Star Wars: Episode 5 – The Empire Strikes Back.

when you have watched them you can watch Mandalorian too.

1 minute ago, SPARKIE said:

Get them watched you may like them.

this is the order to watch.

• Star Wars: Episode 1 – The Phantom Menace.
  • Star Wars: Episode 2 – Attack of the Clones.
  • Star Wars: Episode 3 – Revenge of the Sith.
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story.
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
  • Star Wars: Episode 4 – A New Hope.
  • Star Wars: Episode 5 – The Empire Strikes Back.

when you have watched them you can watch Mandalorian too.

You missed:

Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Episode VII The Force Awakens

Episode VIII The Last Jedi

Episode IX Return of Skywalker

The trouble with watching them all in story order is that you start with by far and away the worst! Episode I is a dreadful, dreadful, ruinous mess of a film that should never have been allowed to darken the screens of cinemas. But they pick up. Episodes IV, V and VI (the original three) are still the best. I like Rogue One, but VII - IX are simply rehashes of the originals - sometimes even just stealing exactly the same shots and sequences!

If you're really struggling in the first trilogy (Eps I-III) skip to IV and pretend that's where it all kicks off.

There is a particular order and that is 

None, never and don’t even think of doing it!!!!!

My wife is a SW addict, she has even been to Tunisia where they filmed some scenes.

Ive lost count of the times she puts them on and I wasn’t even allowed to dispose of the old tv as it is 3D capable which she uses some 3D SW blurays on!!!!!

Each time I just annoy her and ask who is who etc.

59 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

There is a particular order and that is 

None, never and don’t even think of doing it!!!!!

My wife is a SW addict, she has even been to Tunisia where they filmed some scenes.

Ive lost count of the times she puts them on and I wasn’t even allowed to dispose of the old tv as it is 3D capable which she uses some 3D SW blurays on!!!!!

Each time I just annoy her and ask who is who etc.

Next time, start asking her which one's Jean-Luc Picard and whether the Klingons/Romulans are on the side of the the Emporer, or if the Vulcans are Jedi...

image.png.df3a23e22d35da63a14232321bf74121.png

14 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Now that one I didn’t mind...

I'm aware of certain characters from the star war films, watched the last 3 recently, but didn't have a clue who was in this or what is was about and still enjoyed it. When everybody around was gushing like 12yo girls at a Bieber concert because so and so made a appearance, I didn't have a ****in clue who they were on about and I still enjoyed it for what it was. 

Would say I can't wait for season 3 but that sounds far to desperate for somebody my age, but it was a good series so far 

The first 3 (4,5 and 6) were ground breaking - class. The prequels (1, 2 and 3),with Ewan McGregor, were garbage, with Christopher Lee stealing the limited show. The last three ( 7,8 and 9) were decent and would have been better if I hadn't already watched the originals.

It's all about what your taste is. Best film I have ever seen is Once upon a time in America, but I can't watch The Green Mile. Rated by many, but awful in my book.

18 hours ago, Sussexboy said:

The robot C3PO was quite amusing as well.

Don't go saying things like that in front of hardcore fans of the films!  They'll beat you with sticks shouting "DROID!  He's a DROID!" :D

FWIW I thought Episode 1 "The Phantom Menace" was just about watchable, only because knowing the story timeline you can accept it's setting things up for later in the series.  Episodes 2 & 3 get better as you follow Anakin Skywalker's descent towards the Dark Side, and also more plot set-up for later.

I think a lot of the enjoyment of watching the prequel and sequel trilogies comes from knowing certain characters and events which were not fully explored, or only briefly mentioned, in the original films.

Solo, I found pretty good... Rogue One I thought a very credible film indeed in Star Wars context.

Funny this topic should come up as I'm currently working my way through watching the whole suite of films right from episode 1.  Managing one film every night or two, only got 8 & 9 to go!

Either you understand Star Wars and love it for what it is, or you just don't gel with it. Your choice :)