Unexpected day

muncher

Friday morning I missed a call and the voicemail message was just can you give me a call. I duly rang back and was asked if I could shoot a field of rape( not my permission) as I’m to busy to have a go. I met the kind gent on the said field to be see about 100 pigeons down, I agreed to help him out as it was local and I didn’t have anything else on.  I said I would probably be lucky to get 20 but I was quite thrilled to have my first go of the year. I arrived at the field just before 8 and went as light as possible to the far end of the field by a big thorn bush with a light wind behind me. I set the rotary 20 yards in front and 8 half shell decoys that must be 20 years old and pretty faded and dog chewed. I put two on the rotary and sat down. Well it didn’t take long for my first customer to arrive and straight in and I missed. Birds came from all directions and decoyed so well I probably needed to move the rotary further out, I had big groups decoy and ones and twos. I kept thinking it will stop soon but I keep a count on what I shoot an hour and from 11 to 12 it’s slowed right down so I picked up hoping for 50. I was very happy to pick up exactly 70’ brilliant morning that on a normal year I would have been after wildfowl. 
69 in the picture the dog found another just after I took it. I also shot a recent image.jpeg.f951d4740f46fe330bf3b9a4ddf02c11.jpegyounun. 

20435285-F4C8-4813-8D48-326E941BBC81.jpeg

Edited by muncher

51 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Great start to this years Pigeon ( season ) , where was the other half of the M+M duo , wildfowling ?, good luck on the last weeks fowling inland .

Not sure where M was, not my call as it wasn’t my permission. My fowling has finished as all the clubs grounds are closed. 

2 minutes ago, muncher said:

Not sure where M was, not my call as it wasn’t my permission. My fowling has finished as all the clubs grounds are closed. 

Sorry to hear your fowling  have already closed for this season , we were lucky in that we have got marshes scattered about so most local people haven't got any distance to travel so as long as they stick to club rules they can still go , but for how good it is with just about every marsh flooded and the duck are now staying in the no shooting area on the estuary plus  with all what is going on around us I wouldn't be shedding any tears this time next week when we close the curtains on another season , today should have been our last day booked game shoot with two days this coming week booked in for a beaters day and another one classed as a helpers day , sadly for the first time in my lifetime it isn't going to happen .