Laser Pointers.

fatchap

I have just had my nuts chewed off on Facebook by a vet. I posted a video of my dog chasing a laser pointer. He loves it. Thinks its a great game. However this vet told me its extremely bad for dogs. A dog needs closure from a chase. It goes into prey mode and if it does not catch its prey, it can have a profound physiological effect on your dog.

I'm inclined to think B*******!!!!!!.  

2 minutes ago, fatchap said:

I have just had my nuts chewed off on Facebook by a vet. I posted a video of my dog chasing a laser pointer. He loves it. Thinks its a great game. However this vet told me its extremely bad for dogs. A dog needs closure from a chase. It goes into prey mode and if it does not catch its prey, it can have a profound physiological effect on your dog.

Probably depending upon what you want the dog for 🙄

im inclined to agree with the vet 

throwing a ball is probably the best idea 🤔

Its kind of like getting your dog to fetch something thats not really there, when the day comes you want him to actually fetch something ie; a bird,

he may just turn round and tell you to fetch it yourself.

We have done it with cats though but they didn't go picking up game. 

12 minutes ago, fatchap said:

It's something that I've never considered.  You'd think that if it was somehow triggering the inner wolf , then the dog wouldn't be affected if it didn't make the kill every time . I can see how it might effect a dog that was used as a retriever though.

4 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

It's something that I've never considered.  You'd think that if it was somehow triggering the inner wolf , then the dog wouldn't be affected if it didn't make the kill every time . I can see how it might effect a dog that was used as a retriever though.

He's not a working dog in any shape or form. He's still basically a pup and just likes to play and chew things. If it is indeed bad for a dogs mental health then I will stop but the fact is he loves the game. The laser pointer is on my office desk and everytime I sit at my computer he thinks its laser time. Going to be difficult to get him to forget about it. 

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i can understand what the vet says...................i feel like that when im on the pull every saturday night...and end up with nothing..

Thats lockdown for you.

6 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The worry to me would be that the dog looks back at you and accidentally looks into the pointer beam.

I keep it low to the floor so he can't look into the beam.

18 minutes ago, dodgy dave said:

you woudnt know what to do with it if you caught it or have the staying power so dream on ditchy

look you.......................i may be an old ex army ****.............but im still on active service.....if you get my drift..

4 minutes ago, dodgy dave said:

when i train my lab i dont let him have every retrieve anyway steadiness is more 

anyone can do a dry hump you wanna see me at chrstmas

Ah but the ditchmeister is like a gypsies Jack Russell,  he's a world class leg humper 😅.

57 minutes ago, fatchap said:

57 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Just ask him for the evidence..

However I wouldn't use one by my dog if I still had one.

28 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

How do you know?

22 minutes ago, dodgy dave said:

yea thats a point

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

A VERY important one!

did none of you see the pictures of xxxxxx  post  hump fat white leg ? , it looked like something that youd see hanging in a butchers window when the ditchmeister had finished humping it.:innocent: