French law protecting the countryside

scobydog

The French have introduced a new law to protect the smells and noises of the countryside from 2nd home/holiday home owners. 

The view is that if you buy a house in the countryside you should put up with the country ways.

I think it's a great idea and should introduce it here too. 

What are your thoughts folks.

S

I saw this posted elsewhere a couple of days ago as a friend lives and works in France, I think it’s a fantastic idea! I also think it should be rolled out further in the sense that I’ve heard of multiple facilities clay grounds/ speedway tracks etc being restricted or closed due to new arrivals to the areas complaining. If you move to an area that has pre existing venues/facilities/noises/smells - deal with it.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

great isn't it.

Used to laugh at the people who bought houses on a Saturday next to the airfield I worked on. They always complained loudly when our Harriers started up on a Monday.

I live very close to what was Woodford aerodrome,  never bothered me,  quite liked the sound of the Jets. Shame it's having a few thousand houses built on it now.

4 minutes ago, scobydog said:

I live very close to what was Woodford aerodrome,  never bothered me,  quite liked the sound of the Jets. Shame it's having a few thousand houses built on it now.

Yes indeed.

The other thing that they moaned about was when the wind direction changed and they found out there was a pig farm!

21 minutes ago, scobydog said:

The French have introduced a new law to protect the smells and noises of the countryside from 2nd home/holiday home owners. 

The view is that if you buy a house in the countryside you should put up with the country ways.

S

Agree entirely. Know of two diverse locations so affected. A sprint track and church bells. Go figure

Edited by old man

Lack of investigation. We have a plot opposite our house which has been under 'planning' for 30 odd years and eventually they managed to get three houses on it.  1.2 mill each so not council houses.  Locals complaining about the noise and mess at the moment but they are relatively newcomers, nice people but did not do their homework.

It will all settle once the houses are built.

I wonder how long before the new house owners start whining about the agricultural smells when slurry is spread  from cattle and also from green energy plant.

A couple bought a house across the lane from a friend’s farm. They purchased in Winter when his cows were indoors all the time. They complained bitterly when Spring arrived and my friend had to drive the cows up the lane morning and night to get to pastures and return for milking. Farmer friend thought it was hilarious and just laughed in their face. I think they only stayed one Summer.

My local had new neighbours a few years back who love to complain about everything but it is ok for there teenage brat to throw party's smoking pot and being abusive from the garden when mummy is away, he's a bit older now but still gets chopsy and has found himself upside down in a wheely bin a few times, compliments of some of the younger locals.

5 minutes ago, powler said:

My local had new neighbours a few years back who love to complain about everything but it is ok for there teenage brat to throw party's smoking pot and being abusive from the garden when mummy is away, he's a bit older now but still gets chopsy and has found himself upside down in a wheely bin a few times, compliments of some of the younger locals.

Marvellous!:lol:

7 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

There is a flip side to this .

If you move to the city from the country you have to put up with sirens all night and drunken idiots throwing up in your garden etc .comes with the territory .

I would expect nothing less, but why you'd want to live in a modern city God only knows.

From the rear of our house we had ( and to a lesser extent still have ) a fabulous view over a piece of rough scrub horses were grazed on, of the Pennines less than a mile away. 
A property developer built some bungalows on it which have mostly all been sold to incomers from urban areas. 
There is one more field remaining, which belongs to a local, and he has decided to build a big house for himself on it. 
One of the incomers  approached me before Christmas and asked if I was going to object ( he basically doesn’t want the house built because it would mean the cul de sac he now lives in would become a through road ) and when I said no, he tried to point out that it would totally ruin my view.
I replied that no one is entitled to a view, and as I didn’t object to the house being built which he now lives in, I would feel a tad hypocritical if I objected to this one. He just mumbled something and sauntered off. 

3 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I wouldn't want to live in the country, its different strokes for different folks.

Fair enough,  I have lived right in the centre of Manchester in the 90s, sold up when I realised how much I could make on the apartment.  Would never do it again though,  much prefer my current area.

1 hour ago, scobydog said:

S

id give my right arm to be able to wake up to the sounds and smells of the countryside.

2 hours ago, scobydog said:

S

No. English Law is firm. Moving to the nuisance does not protect the nuisance from being actionable. It's annoying but there it is. If you moved next to a motorway would you accept that your kids were going to possibly suffer from atmospheric pollution causing them asthma?

46 minutes ago, Scully said:

One of the incomers  approached me before Christmas and asked if I was going to object ( he basically doesn’t want the house built because it would mean the cul de sac he now lives in would become a through road ) and when I said no, he tried to point out that it would totally ruin my view.
I replied that no one is entitled to a view, and as I didn’t object to the house being built which he now lives in, I would feel a tad hypocritical if I objected to this one. He just mumbled something and sauntered off. 

That. Unfortunately true.