firewood

foxnet22

4 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

I have one, feel free to bring some down when you're allowed haha 

I will 😎😀

1 hour ago, Duckandswing said:

Flog it. You’d be surprised how many people would want it. 

I do for £15 a wheelie bin normally but I prefer giving it away to close friends or family . My girlfriends parents have had 4 bulk bags full in the last 3 months 

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I hauled 29 loads of oak out from a farm this year and have it split and stacked under cover and with what I already had I think I have five to six winters warmth.  I have burned many different woods but ash and oak throw the best heat. Henry V111 I think it was who said ash would warm theheart of the coldest woman and he had a few.

The trick is that all you burn should have stood under cover but able to breath for a good two years from cutting and the lowest layers above the ground.

010.jpg

I've got log shed envy.

12 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I hauled 29 loads of oak out from a farm this year and have it split and stacked under cover and with what I already had I think I have five to six winters warmth.  I have burned many different woods but ash and oak throw the best heat. Henry V111 I think it was who said ash would warm theheart of the coldest woman and he had a few.

The trick is that all you burn should have stood under cover but able to breath for a good two years from cutting and the lowest layers above the ground.

010.jpg

What's the sustainability of using wood for heat? How much land/trees would you need to be able to re-plant after felling, with enough time to grow before being required again?

I’m burning mostly beech this year, but that’s only because a massive old beech keeled over in the small wood last winter and has provided me with a huge amount of timber. It dried beautifully during the summer and is burning equally as beautifully now. 

My log pile also has ash, sweet chestnut (good, but keep the door shut if you like your rugs without holes!), oak, apple, birch & hazel in it; basically, a selection of what grows on the farm and either fell over or needed dropping in the last year or so. 

8C17C450-F20C-408E-976E-5FC6D3FBF7F6.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

What's the sustainability of using wood for heat? How much land/trees would you need to be able to re-plant after felling, with enough time to grow before being required again?

The answer may lie in the old art of coppicing.  My house was a farm house originally and the farm grew hops.  In order to have poles to train the hops, coppiced ash plantations were used.  These were mainly on areas that were not well suited to other farming activities, notably the railway embankments which extend to several acres.  Until quite recently these still grew ash with the 'stump' showing evidence of old coppicing.  In the last 10 years the railway have cleared all of the ash and 'banked up' the embankment - which now grows bramble and scrub.

I cannot answer with 'how long, how much' etc., but it is a tried and tested management technique for sustainable wood sourcing.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppicing

Bit of mix with us, some ash and 2 year old Oak, and the last bit of Scotch Pine which we felled 3 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised as to how well the dried pine and burnt as when we were splitting and stacking fluid was pouring out of it. 18 months later it was good. 

Cheers

Aled

4 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The answer may lie in the old art of coppicing.  My house was a farm house originally and the farm grew hops.  In order to have poles to train the hops, coppiced ash plantations were used.  These were mainly on areas that were not well suited to other farming activities, notably the railway embankments which extend to several acres.  Until quite recently these still grew ash with the 'stump' showing evidence of old coppicing.  In the last 10 years the railway have cleared all of the ash and 'banked up' the embankment - which now grows bramble and scrub.

I cannot answer with 'how long, how much' etc., but it is a tried and tested management technique for sustainable wood sourcing.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppicing

That's fascinating! Thanks John, down the rabbit hole I go!!

Regarding sustainability then I would say a ten acre mixed wood could keep a home in plenty of wood year on year.  I planted a ten acre plot with poplar 25yrs ago and set them in 4mtr rows 2 mtrs apart. After eight years i started thinning timber 40ft high and eight nine inches thick. I had so much that I started retailing some just to move it.  In between times I planted 400 hazels which are now approaching coppicing and provide some smaller hardwood logs.  The remaining poplars are now close to 90ft high and almost 2ft in diamter and there are still 1500 growing there. I was advised to thin 8mtrs by 8 mtrs but left them at 4tr spacing so should I run out of wood I could easily drop one or two and I still do if a nice oak tree springs up or walnut, chestnut just to give them space. The thousands of natural ash seedlings have been hit hard with the ash die back but I would say there is almost a years supply of dead ash standing ready to be harvested this summer. Problem is I am running out of covered storage.

Having even a small wood takes a lot of managing to do the job properly...ask Mel .... but is most enjoyable and rewarding.  We almost say daily how fortunate we are to have it, particularly in these lockdown times.