Gun cabinet security

I was watching a true life detective program the other night, where a shotgun was stolen from one home and used in a robbery at another. The shotgun was stored in a gun cabinet, which was inside a wardrobe, but apparently was only screwed down into the floorboards. The detective pointed out how the thief/thieves just cut around the floorboard where the cabinet was attached to.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I was watching a true life detective program the other night, where a shotgun was stolen from one home and used in a robbery at another. The shotgun was stored in a gun cabinet, which was inside a wardrobe, but apparently was only screwed down into the floorboards. The detective pointed out how the thief/thieves just cut around the floorboard where the cabinet was attached to.

Last time mine was checked by the FEO, he checked that it was bolted to a (solid outside in my case) wall.  Floor only I doubt would have been allowed.

7 minutes ago, Rupert said:

Mine is not fixed to anything

When I had handguns mine just sat on my bedroom floor, not fixed to anything. No one ever called to inspect it nor even asked if I had one. A mate kept his revolver on a shelf inside his wardrobe, under some clothes. 
I can’t ever remember a FEO checking to see if my shotgun cabinets could be moved, but they’ve always looked to see where they were. 

38 minutes ago, Scully said:

When I had handguns mine just sat on my bedroom floor, not fixed to anything. No one ever called to inspect it nor even asked if I had one. A mate kept his revolver on a shelf inside his wardrobe, under some clothes. 
I can’t ever remember a FEO checking to see if my shotgun cabinets could be moved, but they’ve always looked to see where they were. 

On my initial grant he gave  the cabinet a pull, when i swapped from a 3 to a five he just looked at it. When i swapped to a 3.5 ton free standing safe in my attached garage he was a bit fuzzy when i said it wasnt fastened to the wall, he came, asked me to open it and then gave it a shove. He was a bit befuddled with the gravity concept.

2 hours ago, Scully said:

The trick is to stuff it with so many guns it’s to heavy to move.  I knew a guy that would throw change in the bottom of his safe.  After a few years he had to put a board up to stop the change from spilling out.  Then after another few years he had to put another board.  He only had hand guns and the bottom on the 5ft tall safe was change.  It got to the point he had to put a jack under the floor to hold it up.  

Edited by NoBodyImportant

Ours had the plaster removed on the other side of a wall from the safes position. Bolts through the wall through from the safe to a steel plate otherside of the wall. Plaster replaced and wall repainted. FEO couldnt move it.

He couldnt find the safe either when he was told what room it was in till he was shown where it was.

43 minutes ago, Scully said:

I like your thinking! 👍

How? 

A lost set of keys a year or so ago was overcome in about 90 seconds with a battery angle grinder.

If I had needed to I could have probably welded the section of cabinet back in too demonstrating just how cleanly they can be opened with simple kit.

Edd

41 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

A lost set of keys a year or so ago was overcome in about 90 seconds with a battery angle grinder.

If I had needed to I could have probably welded the section of cabinet back in too demonstrating just how cleanly they can be opened with simple kit.

Edd

Fair enough. I got a locksmith to open mine, on the basis I thought an angle grinder ( I’ve used quite a few ) would make a mess of what I had inside. 
There’s the noise to consider of course, plus the odds against an opportunistic burglar having an angle grinder with them. 🙂

2 hours ago, Scully said:

There’s the noise to consider of course, plus the odds against an opportunistic burglar having an angle grinder with them. 🙂

True enough, but they’re nowhere near as noisy as they used to be. My cabinet at least has a bit of plate over the back of the door to protect the lock+bolt mechanism. I suspect  less than 2 mins grinding would gain you access, with the contents unmarked.

Ok so that’s at the very least ‘going equipped’ if not targeted, but the advent of good cordless tools has changed the game and n favour of the thief

That’s the thing, portable tools have improved so much and cabinet regs are not keeping up.. Don’t forget that scum bags don’t  care about how much the grade 5 wood will make it worth and so it that’s gets knocked they won’t care, it will still make a good noise and a big hole in someone ..

My Inspection was asked how long coach bolts were and if they were into a beam ( floor )yes and showed him

asked how I secured wall bolts and showed him chem fixing kit and lest over anchors he was happy.

my locksmith mate does a few every year ( mostly lost keys or deceased cert holder ) it does not take him long at all ! 

regards Agriv8 

My big cabinet is in a cupboard at the top of the stairs and my FAO tried to pull it off the wall LOL after i looked at him wide eyed i said its bolted to the wall and floor he said thats fine , Then i opened the loft and said my other cabinets up there with the big ammo cabinet next to it as   i wouldn't be popular  putting them away in there after coming in from lamping he just said "fine "

Funnily enough I moved by cabinet and ammo safe yesterday, I've just emailed my firearms team to advise what I've done, how they are fixed and where it's now located.   When I moved into the house a few years back, they were happy with an email rather than inspecting it based on the fact that they were satisfied with how I'd installed it at my previous home.

I don’t think I’ll be losing any sleep over cordless tools! If anyone decides to break in, they’ve got to do it unseen, then get past the dogs 🙂 then cut into it as quietly as possible ( if they happen to have a cordless angle grinder on them!) then get out unseen. 🙂