Central heating

Bigbob

Just before my central heating comes on I make sure all the windows are shut and draw the curtains or drop the blinds , Most of the radiators are under the windows and any programme  ive seen about thermal images   of a house the most heat lost is out a window . But with double glazing is shutting curtains etc a waste of time or does it help ?.

A few points; 

Double glazing does stop a lot of loss - but an additional layer, even if only curtain helps ......... but ......... and it is a BIG but - IF your radiators are under windows, the curtain should hang behind the radiator so that the warm air rising from the radiator comes into the room - not the windowsill area.  If not, the heat from the radiator will be trapped between the curtain and the window, where there will be losses even through double glazed windows.

It has always been popular to place radiators under windows because it is a piece of wall space that is not likely to be wanted to place an item of furniture - and it did help (in pre double glazing and cheap fuel days) to prevent condensation on the windows.  I prefer (where possible) to place my radiators away from windows and ideally on an inside wall where heat loss will be minimised.

Radiators aren't really doing much of their work by 'radiation', but by convection - in warming the air that flows over them, so stopping the air flow reduced the effectiveness of the radiator.

My curtains are tied in the middle and just hang each side of the window , but its the blinds i drop but you can still see some movement in them 

We only put the heating on for 2 hours in the morning 7am till 9am , then 5pm till 7pm then only November till April  then she who must be obeyed will switch it off and the annual comment of ," Well put a jumper on "  Will be heard threw out the house once more LOL 

15 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes indeed.

Mine are set up like this;

IMG_20210125_165820.jpg

That though has the heat rising between the backing and the curtains though?? Think about a hot air balloon. Our winter curtains are actually the perfect length to tuck behind the radiator in the living room - all the other windows with radiators below have blinds on them. 

1 minute ago, Agriv8 said:

There was a trend to put a small shelf the length of the  radiator to deflect heat into room

It does work, but needs to be a few inches above the radiator to allow for the natural convection.  There are also small axial fans designed to boost the air flow - particularly through the centre of double radiators.  Again - I believe they do work to a degree - but don't seem to get that good reviews.