Last Will and Testament (kits).

Lloyd90

25 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

There was a man who used to come shooting with us a few years back. He seemed very wealthy, nice car, two sons at expensive private school etc all the trappings. But he never seemed to be "at work", always free to go shooting and he did a lot of the time. Well out of our league in that respect.

I wondered for ages what he did for a living, it turned out he owned a care home or two

I know a few who took the money they had earned in The City and invested in Care Homes. Probably second to those who became property developers. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, AVB said:

I know a few who took the money they had earned in The City and invested in Care Homes. Probably second to those who became property developers. 

Its ring fenced, with an aging population and an almost captive workforce its hard to see what could go wrong

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, AVB said:

Apart from Covid wiping everybody out

Yes but that was only a glitch in the grand scheme of things. There are always more oldies coming down the pipe line.

The business in retirement homes, as opposed to care homes, is huge and growing exponentially. Its wrong to think of these places as gods waiting rooms for the incontinent ga-ga oldies.

We enquired about one of these places for my mother, she is not short of a bob or two but the prices quoted are extortionate.

We could book her on a 120 day world cruise with P&O or Cunard in a balcony cabin with fabulous food, entertainment every night, gyms and activities galore etc for a lot less per day than staying in some of these overpriced death camps.

And I mean a LOT less. nearly  HALF!

I could spend a year at sea going three times around the world in exquisite luxury, eating lobster and smoked salmon, drinking champagne and watching cabaret every night and having access to gyms and sauna's every day for around £36,000 to £40.000 per year

Or I could spend £70,000 a year living in a characterless box room with a rickety old bed being fed scrambled egg and propped up for hours in front of a TV I can't change the channel on wearing a nappy because the staff can't be bothered to take me to the toilet. Unable to speak to most of the staff you just get ignored

you choose    

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

Yes but that was only a glitch in the grand scheme of things. There are always more oldies coming down the pipe line.

The business in retirement homes, as opposed to care homes, is huge and growing exponentially. Its wrong to think of these places as gods waiting rooms for the incontinent ga-ga oldies.

We enquired about one of these places for my mother, she is not short of a bob or two but the prices quoted are extortionate.

We could book her on a 120 day world cruise with P&O or Cunard in a balcony cabin with fabulous food, entertainment every night, gyms and activities galore etc for a lot less per day than staying in some of these overpriced death camps.

And I mean a LOT less. nearly  HALF!

I could spend a year at sea going three times around the world in exquisite luxury, eating lobster and smoked salmon, drinking champagne and watching cabaret every night and having access to gyms and sauna's every day for around £36,000 to £40.000 per year

Or I could spend £70,000 a year living in a characterless box room with a rickety old bed being fed scrambled egg and propped up for hours in front of a TV I can't change the channel on wearing a nappy because the staff can't be bothered to take me to the toilet. Unable to speak to most of the staff you just get ignored

you choose    

Why don’t you just book your relatives on a cruise then? Why doesn’t everyone? Or yourself when your old?  

Oh yes, because people take a lot more looking after than you suggest.

Some people (who are able to look after themselves) do just that and book onto cruises for their retirement. 

But surely that defeats the point, if they are able to look after themselves they don’t need to be living in a care home do they? They’d just live at home in their own houses ...  

Whilst there are a lot of poor care homes there are a lot of good ones who give good standard of care to their residents. 

The only people living in care homes are those that are unable to live at home alone. Good luck booking them onto a cruise... 

3 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Why don’t you just book your relatives on a cruise then? Why doesn’t everyone? Or yourself when your old?  

Oh yes, because people take a lot more looking after than you suggest.

Some people (who are able to look after themselves) do just that and book onto cruises for their retirement. 

But surely that defeats the point, if they are able to look after themselves they don’t need to be living in a care home do they? They’d just live at home in their own houses ...  

Whilst there are a lot of poor care homes there are a lot of good ones who give good standard of care to their residents. 

The only people living in care homes are those that are unable to live at home alone. Good luck booking them onto a cruise... 

No you are either deliberately or unintentionally missing the point. Why do **** poor bland, mind numbingly boring care  homes  get away with charging vunerable residents ridiculously high fees for couldn't care less "care" in circumstances that compare very badly against other benchmarks? 

eathat is  int

5 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

No you are either deliberately or unintentionally missing the point. Why do **** poor bland, mind numbingly boring care  homes  get away with charging vunerable residents ridiculously high fees for couldn't care less "care" in circumstances that compare very badly against other benchmarks? 

eathat is  int

I already answered why, in order for them (private organisations) to invest the huge sums needed to open the care homes in the first place, they must make a certain % profit (return on investment).

If care homes don't return a healthy return on their investment, then they don't get built, and they invest there money elsewhere, which provides a better return. 

If one bank is giving you 1% on your savings and the bank down the road is offering you 10% why would you take the 1%?! 

Again as I already said, the Government and most local authorities have closed down their care homes, they were too expensive to run, and they didn't want to spend the money to build new buildings that were suitable, especially after all the regulations updated and a lot of the old homes were classed as not fit for purpose. 

If you can find a load of companies who are willing to invest many many millions of pounds without wanting the same high return then as I have already said, point them to the industry. I am failing to see the companies queueing up to get in on the game out of the goodness of their hearts. 

But the comparison that an individual who is 100% able to look after themselves booking onto a cruise, is not the same as someone is needs 24/7 supervision and support with everything.

If they did not need 24/7 care and support they could have remained in their own homes with carers coming in throughout the day ... 

And as I said, many homes do a very good job working with vulnerable complex people with high care needs.