410 kill range

So I have a little yildiz single barrel  410 that the youngest has been pointing at clays and learning to become gun safe.

Landed a slab of 410 3 Inch number 6s  16 gram as my permission is coming into lambing season I was Thinking this might be good for keeping the corvids down rather than the rather loud clear pigeon extreme 12 bore. The sheep keep the distance but better safe than sorry.

so over to you lot any idea of kill range for these ? 

Thanks Agriv8 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I know exactly the answer to your question because I have the very same yildiz and shoot the same game bore carts 16 grm no6 .73 mm case .

Although I have a screw on mod on the end of mine which quietens it down loads and is highly  recommended  .

Oh and yes and  I believe they are 1/2 choke. 

The range for these is a solid 30 yds .35 at push with a dollop  of luck .

If you shoot the hullcart high pheasant  18 grm no6  then they do kill out to 35 yds .

I've yet to find any .410 cart that I can push to 40 yds .

Hope this helps .

I would think 30 yards with a 3 inch No. 6 on a pheasant.  My guns are only 2 1/2  inch chambered, shooting 14 grams. I am very happy between 25/30 yards with No. 7’s.

edit: I find even 14 gram of No. 9’s very effective to 30 yards on pigeon or crows.

Edited by London Best

1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

So I have a little yildiz single barrel  410 that the youngest has been pointing at clays and learning to become gun safe.

Landed a slab of 410 3 Inch number 6s  16 gram as my permission is coming into lambing season I was Thinking this might be good for keeping the corvids down rather than the rather loud clear pigeon extreme 12 bore. The sheep keep the distance but better safe than sorry.

so over to you lot any idea of kill range for these ? 

Thanks Agriv8 

Pattern the gun at 25 yards and see what it does on paper, I would suspect at half choke it will do fair to 25 yards. It would also be worth measuring the choke if you have a caliper to asertain the final muzzle width.

3 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Thanks fellas Mmm choke it’s fixed so suspect about 1/2 will take a look at barrel markings / box when next up in loft. 

So assuming I am right what do you reckon on 16g number 6’s 20 - 25 yards on a 410

About right, depending on choke, No7 or 7.5 will give you up to 35yds though.

11 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

20200721_184117.png

Wow good shooting will have a go plan to have a couple of evenings this week when They are coming into roosts interested to know about your moderator

Quote ....”Although I have a screw on mod on the end of mine which quietens it down loads and is highly  recommended “

as a rat infestation near the farm house barn / feed store  has been added to the list of can you have a look at when i have time. 

Thanks and all best chaps and thank you for your time taken posting !

Edited by Agriv8
Added woods to make sense

I like to shoot my pige or crows between 15 and 25 yds though , any bird hit  in this area is very very much  dead .and to be fair even with my 20b I like my birds between 20 and 30 yds .I find 40 yds is starting to stretch the distance .

The mod is the 9 inch from saddlery and gun room  .it actually makes the very light  front end of the gun balance and swing better .

I'm a bit of a good shot with this little single it fits me very well .

I have photos of loads of crows piled up too taken with this wee .410 .

If you want to shoot rats quietly  in a barn have a look at the layvale magnasonic  .they are very quiet .(not enough punch  for pige .but fine on rats closer in ) 

Screenshot_20210125-221221_Gallery.jpg

As most of you know I rarely shoot anyhting else but a 410 these days. I reload my own shells mainly but have shot the excellent Hull High Pheasant in #7s and recently the new Lylevale 18g s as well and found them also capable.  Actually when you take a tape and stretch it out to 40yrds it is quite a long way and I am sure many shooters belive they are shooting at that range when it is quite a bit closer. I have killed partridge and pheasants out to 35-40yrds no problem with my home loads of 18.7g of #7s and through full chokes from my 30 inch Yildize barrels  i think that is the sensible range for the 410 although on occasion I have fluked a 50yrder witnessed.

I shot a few of the Bornaghi 3 inch as well and yes they did the job.    Factory shells  I would buy Fiocchi or Hull High Pheasant both in #7s.

I have tried a variety of chokes but have now gone back to full/full. Yes it means I have to be a bit more accurate at 20-25yrds on partridge over the hedges but that is up to me.  the patterns I get at a measured 35yrds are excellent so that is why I stick with them.

On a dedicated 410 driven day there is more talk about cartridges and chokes than on any other day shooting. Lots of enthusiasm amongst devotees..

Chaps thanks Again. I would have had a play with the 410 at the clay ground I normally shoot with pattern plate but it’s shut !  but breaking a clay at 25 to 35 yards does not mean that you would expect a humane kill at that distance ( of course this also relies on the lead ending up in the right place ). 

good to see a general agreement it looks like the 410 will be coming out to play more often ! Pacing out 30 yards I expect that to be the max distance from my chosen shooting hide to where they roost 

ultrastu I have some more questions re the 410 moderator as the saddlery and gun room seem to offer 2 for the 410 when I was looking bleary eyed last night.

Also how does yours attach to the barrel ?

is it easy to remove ? Is my youngest going to fall out with me for pinching his gun !!

have you had to modify the anyway you fit the moderator ?

regards Agriv8 

10 hours ago, London Best said:

Nice to see that all the replies have come up with basically the same answer.  (Must be  a PW first!). 
Too many shooting men think of the .410 as a useless toy. Experience proves otherwise.

Yep, it's all interesting reading. Extended range driven shooting is a relatively new introduction, whereas traditionally the vast majority of shooting up until the 70s when shooting really took off was still driven at the more usual 25 to 35 yard ranges. It makes me wonder why the 12 bore became the norm.

13 minutes ago, London Best said:

@wymberley I always understood that the 12 bore became the standard gauge because basically it was the heaviest gun a man could carry all day without undue fatigue. This before O/U’s became popular, of course, hence the popularity of the 20 bore O/U firing a traditional 12 bore load.

Yep, makes sense. But back along the vast majority of shooters didn't walk anywhere except, perhaps, to a peg to play a part in the major sporting activitry that driven shooting was. From what we read, the venerable .410 is a perfectly capable tool for cleanly killing game at the ranges prevalent at the time. It's worth bearing in mind that many of these fellows shot several times a week firing countless cartridges through a gun which was made for,and fitted to, them in a season and probably therefore would qualify as 'competent'.

3 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Yep, makes sense. But back along the vast majority of shooters didn't walk anywhere except, perhaps, to a peg to play a part in the major sporting activitry that driven shooting was. From what we read, the venerable .410 is a perfectly capable tool for cleanly killing game at the ranges prevalent at the time. It's worth bearing in mind that many of these fellows shot several times a week firing countless cartridges through a gun which was made for,and fitted to, them in a season and probably therefore would qualify as 'competent'.

With respect, I think you are on the wrong tack there. I don’t believe many .410 guns would have been used for driven shooting in it’s Victorian/Edwardian heyday. More likely used by the likes of gamekeepers/farmers for rabbiting (especially ferreting the countless thousands of rabbits) and vermin control. That is not to say that some of the ladies and many of the youngsters did not use the little gun, but the men, I think not.

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

With respect, I think you are on the wrong tack there. I don’t believe many .410 guns would have been used for driven shooting in it’s Victorian/Edwardian heyday. More likely used by the likes of gamekeepers/farmers for rabbiting (especially ferreting the countless thousands of rabbits) and vermin control. That is not to say that some of the ladies and many of the youngsters did not use the little gun, but the men, I think not.

Exactly, that's my point. I asked why the 12 bore became so popular when in the main sporting thrust at that time it seems that the 410 was perfectly capable of performing as would have been necessary.

3 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Exactly, that's my point. I asked why the 12 bore became so popular when in the main sporting thrust at that time it seems that the 410 was perfectly capable of performing as would have been necessary.

The .410 was never going to perform as well as a larger gun and people wanted the most effective gun they could carry. Not all shooting was driven, even for the wealthy many days would be walked-up. When I use my .410 I do not expect it to perform like a twelve, that would be silly, but it is not the “dangerous toy” I have heard them called by some.

3 hours ago, theshootist said:

Agreed. It is an expert's gun rather than a gun to introduce children to shooting.

The 410 is an excellent beginners gun when set up properly with the right cartridges and choke.

The issue is the lack  of understanding of those who buy a 410 and try to emmulate the use of their 12 bore by applying 12 bore solutions to the 410.

Ideally for the 410 3 inch you want 18g no7  and Imp cyl and Light Mod and this will kill pigeons, pheasants, partridge etc to 30 to 35 yards and is no more difficult to use than any other gun.

For the 2.5 inch with same chokes 14g of 7.5 will give 25 to 30 yards range and similarly for the 2inch 9g of no8 will give 20 to 25 yards range.

The problem remains centred around using the size of shot you would use in a 12 bore with loads from 28g to 36g (no6.5, no6, no5.5, no5 etc) which pellets have a great deal of individual excess energy and then having to inordinately tighten the 410 choke to Full to try and maintain a pattern when using 18g or less but which means that you have to be very accurate at close range to hit the target.