Light weigh 12 bore O/U

grahamch

A solid rib will weigh less than a ventilated rib (sounds as if it shouldn't but a "solid" rib in fact is hollow) and any butt extension in rubber will weigh more than an identical extension in wood. I think that you may well struggle if you want twenty-eight inch barrels to find an O/U in 12 bore that weighs under 7lbs.

The problem is that on nearly all modern factory made guns their barrels have thicker walls than bespoke made guns that are struck off to give lighter barrels by virtue of those barrels having thinner walls. Also AFAIK multi-choke guns will likely weigh less than the same gun in an otherwise identical fixed choke configuration.

However there is at least one small detail to consider. Wood, walnut, does vary from blank to blank in weight. So unless the maker has a policy of inserting a weight into the butt you may find that two identical guns may vary as much as two, or even three, ounces in weight solely due to the wood  This is why not all pairs of best guns will weigh each exactly the same.

Lastly a good stocker will be able to drill a stock from the back and remove some weight and will more easily do this where that stock does not have a screwed on buttplate or buttpad as obviously he can't holes to lighten the stock in an area where there needs to be wood for the buttplate to screw into.

Finally a well balanced 7lbs (with that weight properly distributed) gun will always feel lighter and handle better than an ill balanced 6 1/2 lbs gun (with that weight not at all well distributed) and, of course, that's why even a heavy Purdey, Holland or Boss S/B/S will feel "alive" between the hands whereas a lighter but cheaper gun will often feel like a weaver's beam. 

Edited by enfieldspares

10 hours ago, London Best said:

Have a look at Chapuis Armes. A friend has one and it feels nice to me and I hate heavy guns. Also Vernay Carron.

The French do a lot of walked up shooting hence the weighht of many of their guns. Yep, no contest, look no further, Chapuis all day long and steel proofed with 3" chambers. I have one, and it's breaking my heart to have to sell it. It weighs under 7lb but now the arthritis has struck even that is too much to swing. However, not all doom and gloom as I have managed to find a 6lb plus a tad W&S which fits like a glove which I can handle most of the time and a Beretta S56E 20 bore at c5&1/2lb when I can't.

On 26/01/2021 at 09:54, Dave at kelton said:

Macnab highlander will fit the Bill exactly.

Especially in 20 bore

On 27/01/2021 at 20:49, Zimtrout said:

Get a 16g......

Yep, super gauge in side by side, or O/U if less than 7 lbs