Help us out here chaps....

fatchap

I am trying to get out in the shed but my wife who by default is always right is keeping up an argument that started last night about an old song. The song in question is Telestar by The Tornado's she is adamant that it was the theme tune to either an old Western TV show or film. I'm sure she has it confused with Bonanza which is similar. I totally disagree but so far have not found out what it was the theme tune to. I agree it was the theme tune to something but not a Western

So I call upon the PW Oracles of knowledge to prove me right so I can get on with some shed therapy.

For anyone who needs reminding of the song and it does sound very cowboy and yee hah here it is....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Scully said:

Wow! I actually have that record in vinyl, but no sleeve unfortunately. 
I know it was written to celebrate the launch of a satellite back in the 60’s sometime, but can’t recall it being a theme tune. I may be wrong. 
Is she confusing it with Apache by the Shadows? 

No she is 100% sure in her mind it was the theme to a Western TV show like Bonanza or the High Chaperel(sp)

I vaguely remember watching some sort of space related documentary,  it mentioned telstar and sputnik,  and also that it was the theme to something or other .   Pw has some really really really old members , one  of them is sure to remember. 

4 minutes ago, fatchap said:

No she is 100% sure in her mind it was the theme to a Western TV show like Bonanza or the High Chaperel(sp)

I’m afraid she’s wrong....be careful how you tell her or you may be in the shed for longer than you wish! 
There is mention of a theme tune to a film in 1979, or a video, but it’s never been used for a western as far as I can find. 

11 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I vaguely remember watching some sort of space related documentary,  it mentioned telstar and sputnik,  and also that it was the theme to something or other .   Pw has some really really really old members , one  of them is sure to remember. 

I am a recognised authority on this. "Really really old members, one of them is sure to remember", according to Marx would be a contradiction in terms on the grounds that the reality is is that the ability to forget is far greater. Now, what was the question, again?

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’m afraid she’s wrong....be careful how you tell her or you may be in the shed for longer than you wish! 
There is mention of a theme tune to a film in 1979, or a video, but it’s never been used for a western as far as I can find. 

I can't find any info on it at all. Just that it was a record back in the day. I even asked Alexa she told me it was a satelite asked her again and she gave me a five minute dictation on The difference between Tornado's and Hurricanes.

I have showed her the replies...typical woman stormed off muttering something about sticking to killing things.😁

Telstar is the name of various communications satellites. The first two Telstar satellites were experimental and nearly identical. Telstar 1 launched on top of a Thor-Delta rocket on July 10, 1962. It successfully relayed through space the first television pictures, telephone calls, and telegraph images, and provided the first live transatlantic television feed. Telstar 2 launched May 7, 1963. Telstar 1 and 2—though no longer functional—still orbit the Earth.[1]

29 minutes ago, fatchap said:

I am trying to get out in the shed but my wife who by default is always right is keeping up an argument that started last night about an old song. The song in question is Telestar by The Tornado's she is adamant that it was the theme tune to either an old Western TV show or film. I'm sure she has it confused with Bonanza which is similar. I totally disagree but so far have not found out what it was the theme tune to. I agree it was the theme tune to something but not a Western

So I call upon the PW Oracles of knowledge to prove me right so I can get on with some shed therapy.

For anyone who needs reminding of the song and it does sound very cowboy and yee hah here it is....

My gramaphone only plays 78's....... That is the tune played at the intermission and while your waiting for the film to start at any Odeon near you

12 minutes ago, fatchap said:

I can't find any info on it at all. Just that it was a record back in the day. I even asked Alexa she told me it was a satelite asked her again and she gave me a five minute dictation on The difference between Tornado's and Hurricanes.

I have showed her the replies...typical woman stormed off muttering something about sticking to killing things.😁

Well if you want my suggestion, just agree with her then you can get on with other things.

P.S. if you are proved correct and you go tell her so, she will not forget get that, it will be held in her memory bank for the next time.

1 minute ago, old'un said:

P.S. if you are proved correct and you go tell her so, she will not forget get that, it will be held in her memory bank for the next time.

Usually regurgitated with the phrase "You have always got to be right haven't you Mr Knowitall" or worse - when actually what is being said is "I can't be wrong because I am superior to you!!!"

Got to go - solicitors appointment awaits! :D

1 minute ago, fatchap said:

You mean Pearl and Dean. Think it was called Asteroid. That takes me back.

Waiting for a choc ice, eyeing up the birds whilst avoiding a crushed up no6 packets aimed at your head by rival boys with the same intention.. come to think of it, the Regent could have been pearl and dean..😄

10 minutes ago, old'un said:

Well if you want my suggestion, just agree with her then you can get on with other things.

There speaks the voice of experience 😅