100gr Sierra Prohunters

Hi All, I'm not looking for grief, or other bullets etc but can anyone with better knowledge than me about this bullet shed light please.

I've been using Sierra 85gr hpbt gamekings with great affect on the Roe and have a cracking load for this out of my Howa 243.

Meat damage is plenty enough on the far side with boiler room shots, so thought I'd try the above and run it as slow as I could, but fast enough to let it open up as it should and do it's job. Am I looking for the Holy Grail, probably! 243's are fast anyway, but has anyone any info on, or experience with these please.

I have steered clear of head and neck shooting for my own personal reasons, and although consider myself well able too as I do on other quarry,don't want to start on the Deer. Many thanks for any replies.

I used 100g Federal Power shock in my .243 Mauser and they were excellent and wanted to replicate them with a home load. When I started reloading with Sierra Game King and Hornady BTSP interlock. Neither would stabalise sufficiently for good accuracy, both boat tail.  I then tried 100g pro hunter and they give excellent performance and grouping, flat bottom. I am using Ramshot Hunter loading at 43g, which should give in the region of 3000 fps.

Edited by oowee

5 minutes ago, tonker said:

oowee, I remember the thread, on another forum, as I read it at the time you were asking. I fancy using vhit 160 as I have a lot of that, that I reload a .270 with.

:good:I would guess that would work just as well. I just stick to the same powder when I know it works.

I have plenty of Sierra Game King and Hornady BTSP interlock boat tails if you want to give them a try, your welcome to them. 

8 minutes ago, oowee said:

:good:I would guess that would work just as well. I just stick to the same powder when I know it works.

I have plenty of Sierra Game King and Hornady BTSP interlock boat tails if you want to give them a try, your welcome to them. 

Thanks oowee, I'll remember that if I fail miserably.

• 2 weeks later...