Advice, What Flat Head pellets for ratting ( up to 25 yards ) or similar rat stopper pellet,

oldypigeonpopper

I really like bisley pest control in 22, like you've said with the AA field I've had that with accupells,  they zip clean through, in some cases that's fine but you obviously aren't using the full stopping power, and you need to be careful with the background.

8 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I really like bisley pest control in 22, like you've said with the AA field I've had that with accupells,  they zip clean through, in some cases that's fine but you obviously aren't using the full stopping power, and you need to be careful with the background.

Hello, yes that is another problem with back stop, tin sheet, will look at the hobbies/ RWS and Bisley, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

10 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, yes that is another problem with back stop, tin sheet, will look at the hobbies/ RWS and Bisley, 

I can send you some pest control to try if you want? They are a big heavy pellet but well made and hit hard, like a flying bucket. 

29 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I can send you some pest control to try if you want? They are a big heavy pellet but well made and hit hard, like a flying bucket. 

Hello, how heavy are they, ? Compared to AA fields, I looked at hobbies which are flat , another back stop are concrete blocks and AAs can lodge in , 

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, how heavy are they, ? Compared to AA fields, I looked at hobbies which are flat , another back stop are concrete blocks and AAs can lodge in , 

Hello, as happens my FX PCP has to go for a service so have a wanted for a BSA / or FX Cyclone but failing that I have got a SMK PR 900 in 22 I can set up, 

I had the same 'over penetrating' problem with JSB Diablo. A few years ago I bought a secondhand .22 gun that came with half a tin of RWS Super H points.

Not expecting much , I thought I would try them on the Rats as I already had them , and they grouped surprisingly well at 15-20 yards..

They stopped within the rats , and punched them really hard!    All over the place at 30+ yards though.

The pellet with the lowest bc and the highest velocity will penetrate  the least distance in soft rat tissue and create  the widest wound channel (as long as the distances aren't too great - so up to around 20 yds ) that would be a .177 flat head or hollow point .

The opposite  of this equation  .is slow heavy and round head . Ie a heavy .22 bis mag or jsb 16 grn   the .22  bisley pest control  is slow and heavy at 18 grns its only redemption  is the hollow point there are much better options at sub 12  for rats .

39 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The pellet with the lowest bc and the highest velocity will penetrate  the least distance in soft rat tissue and create  the widest wound channel (as long as the distances aren't too great - so up to around 20 yds ) that would be a .177 flat head or hollow point .

The opposite  of this equation  .is slow heavy and round head . Ie a heavy .22 bis mag or jsb 16 grn   the .22  bisley pest control  is slow and heavy at 18 grns its only redemption  is the hollow point there are much better options at sub 12  for rats .

The most important thing is accuracy. It’s accuracy that kills, just make sure that whatever you use groups well when used in your rifle.

19 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

The most important thing is accuracy. It’s accuracy that kills, just make sure that whatever you use groups well when used in your rifle.

That's my theory too, I get mostly through and through  sub 12 on rat and squirrel at close range anyway.

I think the issue the op is finding is that the pellet passes through the rat .irrespective of shot placement .this means you have a pellet bouncing about in the dark in a shed 

Which can then damage walls ,roof,and people .

So limiting this pass through is very important  

Probably  more so than accuracy  .but if you can have accuracy and no pass through then why not .

11 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I think the issue the op is finding is that the pellet passes through the rat .irrespective of shot placement .this means you have a pellet bouncing about in the dark in a shed 

Which can then damage walls ,roof,and people .

So limiting this pass through is very important  

Probably  more so than accuracy  .but if you can have accuracy and no pass through then why not .

That's the issue,  if I'm shooting at 15m-20m then I know the accupells through my rapid will go straight through a rats head, I've got holes in plant pots to prove it, now shooting from above into the ground that's not an issue. 

But I've shot rats in public places, and with windows nearby so knowing my pellet isn't going to be stopped means the most accurate pellet in my gun isn't the one I use.

I've never actually put any Pest control over my chrono now I think about, if I have I don't remember it, but they must be going slower?

The best option for close range ratting would probably be a lower powered gun, maybe 8-9ft/lb but I've never had enough rat shooting to justify buying something.

I've shot more rats in my life with a 5.5 fpe pump up carbine using flat heads than I have with 12 fpe gun .

Ranges up to 20 yds and no pass through.

The key is to dump all the energy you hit it with in the rat .

Its point less hitting a rat with say 9 fpe and imparting only 3 fpe into it .(heavy .22 ) 

When a 4.5 fpe .177 flat head will impart 4.5 fpe into the rat  .

There is also another point to consider .

Rats  are capable of jumping out of the way of slow pellets .so a big old .22 21 grn doing 425 fps say could be dodged and no amount of accuracy  is going  to make up for this .

I've never seen a rat beat a 800 fps pellet yet .

15 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, as above, finding the Air Arm Field goes straight through some rats and they do a runner so I cannot pick up,  suitable for FX PCPs,  BSA and a SMK 900, cheers

Hello, going to try the Bisley but has anyone tried the BSA Interceptors ?