Advice, What Flat Head pellets for ratting ( up to 25 yards ) or similar rat stopper pellet,

oldypigeonpopper

Just buy flat head wad cutters, and failing that in a break barrel try putting the pellets in backwards. Test for accuracy at ten to fifteen yards. Used to shoot like this decades ago if didn't have flat heads.

My fave was a odd looking half flat head half hollow dome, made a nice smack on rats and pigeons in buildings.

Closest I can find today is the H&N hollow point, though these have a straight sided hollow cone on top rather than curved dome with hollow point I remember. May just be a design change over the years but they worked well.

Edited by figgy

18 hours ago, figgy said:

Just buy flat head wad cutters, and failing that in a break barrel try putting the pellets in backwards. Test for accuracy at ten to fifteen yards. Used to shoot like this decades ago if didn't have flat heads.

My fave was a odd looking half flat head half hollow dome, made a nice smack on rats and pigeons in buildings.

Closest I can find today is the H&N hollow point, though these have a straight sided hollow cone on top rather than curved dome with hollow point I remember. May just be a design change over the years but they worked well.

Thanks  figgy, have a new to me 22 PCP as my Vermy is going for a complete service, HW110 22 and seller used JSBs , I will look at wad cutters and some Bisley pest control , cheers

Try a sample selection of wadcutters and see what your rifle chooses.  I have a CZ that loves RWS wadcutters, but they don't group well in other rifles.  

I have had pass throughs using AAField in .177 but tbh, a thin skinned soft pellet does dump its energy well, and they seem to kill OK.  Heavyweight 'magnum' pellets pass through with far less deformation.  

End of the day, your rifle chooses the pellets, not you; whatever the design.

• 3 weeks later...

I have done a reasonable amount of rat shooting usually with fac air. I have found range judgement particularly at night difficult so I started shooting them long ways either through the chest face on or a texas heart shot generally aiming for the spine left to right seems easier to get spot on its a little non intuitive but works well for me. Same with pigions, between the shoulders or up the chuff if you want to nail them. It all depends how they present themselves hades pellets seem good. 

On 27/01/2021 at 08:04, Fisheruk said:

The most important thing is accuracy. It’s accuracy that kills, just make sure that whatever you use groups well when used in your rifle.

This. +1.

I've tried Accupell .177 flat heads (sold mostly to the six yard airgun guys) and found them accurate but still the most accurate in my regulate (by Ratworks) BSA Scorpion T-19 in .177 are .177 Bisley Magnum. Springers work well with flat head pellets.

Edited by enfieldspares