Another lovely Baikal overview. IZH54 is now mine !!!

Velocette

https://en.performancegunworks.com/1454-the-legendary-double-barreled-gun-izh-54.html

At last the final Baikal in my collection has arrived at my RFD, though I'm not allowed to collect it yet! A Baikal IZH 54 from 1964 which is as scarce as hens teeth and nearly resulted in importing one from Denmark. Its as hand made as a Baikal can be and is the posh forerunner of the IZH26 which we do see more often. A small aside, I just found out that you can de-cock the IZH26 simply by opening the gun, pulling and holding both triggers at once and closing the gun. Simple, and no need for snap caps.

Very, very nice. The engraving reminds me of a Vostok trap gun, which I nearly bought at an auction in about 1989. I dropped out around the £500 mark. I regret it to this day. Possibly the nicest gun I have ever picked up. Mention Russian guns and some people turn up their nose. They can make them with the best.

Very nice. I always like to see the more obscure, or something other than the run of the mill type of gun being used. 
This is a Baikal I took a shine to some years ago now; previously I hadn’t known such a thing existed. I mentioned to it’s owner that it would be just the job for bolting bunnies, and he told me that that was exactly what he used it for. 🙂Cracking bit of kit.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Scully

2 minutes ago, Velocette said:

Good Lord,,,,,,is that a double rifle ? I had a look at a breach loading single barrel .308 a while ago  but have seen some .243/12g double guns. A wide and varied list of products from the Russians.

🙂 It’s a 12 bore shotgun. Fixed muzzle brake ( or ported ) and fixed choke at skeet and skeet. 
Yes, very varied catalogue! 

9 hours ago, Scully said:

Very nice. I always like to see the more obscure, or something other than the run of the mill type of gun being used. 
This is a Baikal I took a shine to some years ago now; previously I hadn’t known such a thing existed. I mentioned to it’s owner that it would be just the job for bolting bunnies, and he told me that that was exactly what he used it for. 🙂Cracking bit of kit.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow, I'm with you I like more obscure guns rather than run of the mill

That looks very similar to a Brno, not sure if that's how you spell it

25 minutes ago, button said:

Wow, I'm with you I like more obscure guns rather than run of the mill

That looks very similar to a Brno, not sure if that's how you spell it

I could well be wrong, it’s been a few years since I bumped into the bloke. I’m pretty sure he said Baikal, but like I said, I could be wrong? 

10 hours ago, Scully said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

What year was that made.  I think I was loaned one back in the 70s for a days partridge shooting when my gun was playing up.  I tried to buy it off my friend but he wouldn't let it go.  Superb handling litle gun as I remember.

9 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

What year was that made.  I think I was loaned one back in the 70s for a days partridge shooting when my gun was playing up.  I tried to buy it off my friend but he wouldn't let it go.  Superb handling litle gun as I remember.

Don’t ask me....I can’t even get the make right! 
I’m sorry, I really don’t know. A bloke was putting it together in the car park outside Malmö Guns when I approached him. It was some years ago and although I asked him about it I never asked it’s age.....and completely got the make wrong  too! 

• 2 weeks later...

Tula was known as the Russian Purdey. Love one but so would everyone else!

The Vostock o/u's are excellent. Used by the Russian olympic trap team way back when. Best damn trigger pulls I ever felt. Tuning fork style main springs.

Also came with two sets of barrels. Skeet and sporting/game. 

Chinese puzzle to work on. Well made. Definitely want one in my cabinet one day.

A friend of mine has the BRNO that Scully has. With both sets of barrels. The compensated choked ones and a long game style set. Mint it is.