debenhams

armsid

The Debenhams in Romford is huge 4 massive floors, wonder what will happen to that? Can't see them turning it into flats as they would have to pretty much close the shopping center to demolish it and rebuild. Doubt any other chain would take it on what with internet shopping being the cause of Debenhams demise in the first place.

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

met my wife in Debenhams...she was running the Gloria Vanderbilt franchise..

wonder what will fill those buildings now ...when the bug is managerble

We done a huge amount of work in the main one at Yarmouth when the Debenhams group bought it off Arnolds , the first job was putting in a sprinkler system and then escalators to all floors , lovely old building which is now shut and the new Debenhams that moved into the precinct went ages ago , now we are left with no big stores and very few small ones .

It’s a shame, I worked at their head office just off Oxford St for six years. They were proper jobs with a career structure and so on. They also took on loads of graduates each year to work in their buying teams.

12000 jobs gone. I know things change over time but I do think the various governments could have done something to help high street retailers compete with the internet giants. I find it difficult to believe that shoppers won’t miss the high street shopping experience.

Thats what the one in Romford will probably end up being flats. All these flats being built especially in London, but who's buying them? Riverlight a multi million pound project built next to the Thames. 15 of the right type of people bought flats there. The rest stayed empty until the developers reluctantly done a deal with the council and its now full but not with the type of clients the developers original aimed at.

And not nice for the original residents as well. I remember the MOD Copper at Brize Norton telling me about the problems affordable housing was causing on a big new estate there. People had bought £300k houses (17 years ago) and had people next door who had the sofa in the front garden!!!

2 minutes ago, fatchap said:

15 of the right type of people bought flats there. The rest stayed empty until the developers reluctantly done a deal with the council and its now full but not with the type of clients the developers original aimed at.