Inland pinkfoot shooting.

motty

1 hour ago, motty said:

Not strictly wildfowling, but I thought some might like to see some film of a recent foray shooting some pinks inland in Norfolk.

ย 

Brilliant Motty you donโ€™t mind me asking could you give us a rundown on what cartridges you were using ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Fantastic calling by the way ๐Ÿ‘

50 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Brilliant Motty you donโ€™t mind me asking could you give us a rundown on what cartridges you were using ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Fantastic calling by the way ๐Ÿ‘

Thanks!

In the 12 I used TSS 30-32gm 7s.

In the 10 I used steel B, BB and BBB, around 42gm i would say.ย 

In the 20 i used 36gm hw13 4s. I don't know whether these loads don't pattern well or if I just shot poorly.

The calling was done with a fairly cheap canada goose call.

37 minutes ago, JDog said:

Quite remarkable Maestro.

Thanks, J.

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

great stuff! what were the distance of the most extreme birds would you say [they looked well beyond my comfort zone๐Ÿ˜„]

They always look a bit further when using a gopro camera, but some were in the 60 yard bracket, I would say. That is not an unreasonable range for a medium sized goose like a pink.

38 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

TSS 32g 7โ€™s.ย 
ย 

I did wonder if your were using TSS with those shots, they were mega.ย 
ย 

That stuff is going to change the way wildfowling works if it carries on.ย 
ย 

ย 

I first used TSS about 5 years ago. It is good stuff. It is expensive, but if used in small loads it isn't too bad. The right steel loads are also very capable.ย 

21 minutes ago, 243deer said:

A good friend of mine calls inland goose shooting 'carpet slipper wildfowling' just coz he has spent most of his life armpit deep in marsh mud. Each to their own I say. I have an invite to the foreshore but not until they are allowing guests again.

I much prefer shooting on the marsh, but that wasn't possible at the time.

Also, it isn't all that often that I get pinks feeding on land that I have permission on.

I'm sure you'll agree that these were more like flighted marsh birds than those hovering over decoys.

Just now, motty said:

Also, it isn't all that often that I get pinks feeding on land that I have permission on.

I'm sure you'll agree that these were more like flighted marsh birds than those hovering over decoys.

I agree entirely and the shooting was far better than I can do as have not done much wildfowling, the comment was only made as it brought fond memories of someone.

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

๐Ÿ‘

Nice work mate .... not the same as a foreshore flight, but still some fun to be had.

I did manage one on New Year's Day but not been able to get since ....

Yes, I enjoyed it. I really wanted to get down the marsh, but alas it wasn't to be.

Not a vintage season, but I'm sure you have made the most of your opportunities!

2 hours ago, shakin stevens said:

Nice sporting shots ! Like you mentioned not hovering over decoys, as good as you are going to get with the short fowling season down your way on the shore .ย 

Yeah, I'm not jealous of you lotย up there! ๐Ÿ˜

19 hours ago, islandgun said:

great stuff! what were the distance of the most extreme birds would you say [they looked well beyond my comfort zone๐Ÿ˜„]

Chris Green did a bit on one of his DVD's showing the difference between a go pro and a 'professional' camera ย looking at a goose silhouette at 40 yards.... with the go pro it looked far further away!

ย 

18 hours ago, motty said:

Yes you were shooting them in a true wildfowling style. Not the Goose shooting you see inland at all.

Nice video and Good sportsmanship.

3 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

A reasonable question, but given the circumstances of lockdown I think 8 in the last 2 months of the season is fine in my book.

I agree in what your saying , although we have been in lockdown like everyone else we have been able to carry on fowling on club land if you keep it to ( local ) , this was left up to the individual what he termed as what local was with most of the local members having some marshes to shoot on within a few miles from there home , members from outside the area would be advised not to travel until the restrictions have been lifted , which for them now is the season is all but over .

ย 

27 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I agree in what your saying , although we have been in lockdown like everyone else we have been able to carry on fowling on club land if you keep it to ( local ) , this was left up to the individual what he termed as what local was with most of the local members having some marshes to shoot on within a few miles from there home , members from outside the area would be advised not to travel until the restrictions have been lifted , which for them now is the season is all but over .

ย 

If you noticed marsh Man boris johnson said the other day we might see an easing on the lock down mid February. It would be brilliant if we could safely get the last week of the season on the coast.

I would be happy with the evening flight on February the 20th. ๐Ÿ˜€

2 hours ago, MARSH GUN said:

If you noticed marsh Man boris johnson said the other day we might see an easing on the lock down mid February. It would be brilliant if we could safely get the last week of the season on the coast.

I would be happy with the evening flight on February the 20th. ๐Ÿ˜€

I don't think for one minute we will see any relaxations until well into March , with some areas seeing a slight decrease in numbers , others flattening out and sadly a few still seeing an increase in numbers of people catching the virus , this time Boris will wait till it is safe and for most of the public in the fist four tiers have had there jab , and at the moment with me being well past 70 I am still waiting for that phone call , or letter to come through my letter box .

We now do very little coastal fowling even though we still have places to go , since the first lockdown we have seen a huge amount of new people using the public footpath around the estuary , both day and night with people catching the train to watch the wildfowl on the reserve and then walking the six miles back , Saturday night will be my last evening flight on what have been a very dismal season , yes we have a nice lot of duck and geese , but with the virus and what seem like neverย ending rain , it will be the only one I won't be sorry to see the back of .ย 

4 hours ago, marsh man said:

ย 

Unfortunately MM You hit the nail on the head my driving distance to lough neagh is 17 miles my coastal fowling 25-30 miles one way so my season was practically over when this new lockdown came into affect I agree the restrictions will probably move into March I also contacted BASC AND they confirmed it regarding travel distance for shooting Roll on next seasonย