Dog transit box woodworking

Shearwater

Although expensive I have seen some of those Lintran and similar ones looking almost brand new when they are very old. 

Would a wooden one hold up as good?

Potentially damp and if they can the dogs might try and chew it (hopefully no corners to get into). 

Just food for thought ...

what vehicle, what sized dogs, how often will you need to remove, what budget do you need to work to, how long are you hoping your box will last for that budget, do you have any wood/varnish/brushes/screws/waterproof wood glue/hinges/catches/bolts/plastic trays/horse mat already?

7 hours ago, 243deer said:

what vehicle, what sized dogs, how often will you need to remove, what budget do you need to work to, how long are you hoping your box will last for that budget, do you have any wood/varnish/brushes/screws/waterproof wood glue/hinges/catches/bolts/plastic trays/horse mat already?

Honda CRV, 2x Labs, removed very seldom to be honest, no budget really but say all in £80-£100 and would expect a few years out of it, I don't keep all the bits in stock as usually just buy what I need as and when

10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Although expensive I have seen some of those Lintran and similar ones looking almost brand new when they are very old. 

Would a wooden one hold up as good?

Potentially damp and if they can the dogs might try and chew it (hopefully no corners to get into). 

Just food for thought ...

I would agree, it's the prices that are off-putting

15 hours ago, lampro said:

Surely there will be some plans kn internet some.where some sheets of ply hinges and mesh shouldn't be to difficult

https://www.instructables.com/Wooden-car-crate-for-dogs/ 

That looks about right, cheers

6 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Just use a metal crate, cheap as chips. Cut to suit your requirements. Much cheaper, lighter and more durable than wood. My friend built a wooden base for his truck and mounted two crates above. Works very well, he was quoted £2400 for it to be built but made it himself for under £100. 

May I ask, what kind of metal crate ( one from petsRus or the likes ) ?

Many moons ago I built one for an estate. Just used good quality waterproof ply, screwed and glued. Hinged upwards with sliding bolts either side to secure. 

personally I would keep an eye out for a good second hand one. Not always expensive. Favourites would be Transk9, lintran, portapet, in that order.

I have never made one of these so this is just how I would take a stab at it. With every day a learning day I am sure there will be some improvements suggested.

One advantage of going wood is that you can fit in the biggest possible crates for your labs. I think that you can get reasonably close to budget - depends on what tools you already have.

So overall dimensions will be length of biggest dog +4 inches, height sitting +4 inches and hopefully for overall width height to shoulder + 4 inches x2 plus a further 1 inch for 2 boxes side by side.

I would build 2 separate boxes as far easier to handle and at some point you might only have one dog.

1/2 inch softwood ply (make sure it is well stored and flat to start with otherwise your doors will warp when you cut them out)

2 x 2 cut in half corner to corner to make straight quadrant

2 x 2 cut in half to make 2 x 1 for door framing

I would make the boxes to shape required for the car by first cutting the 6 panels out of the ply

join the floor, sides, front and back panels using waterproof wood glue and I would use brads every 4 inches from an air gun nailer but drill and screw if you do not have air tools. 

Glue and fix the quadrant between the sides and floor and the sides and back. Between the front and floor use 2 x2 as a strengthner as this is going to take a fair bit of abuse over time.

Now cut your door out of the front, drill a series of small holes so you can insert a jigsaw or reciprocating saw and cut around the shape you have drawn. Personally I would make rounded rather than square corners. The base of the door needs to be level with the 2 x 2. Strengthen the door surround sides and top with 2 x 1 glued and attached to the inside of the box overlapping by 1/4 inch so the door closes onto the jamb. With the door closed draw a line around the inside of the door jamb on the door, open door and bring this line in 1/2 inch all round then make a door strengthening frame out of 2 x 1 with 4 sides and 1 diagonal.

Attach the door, I would use 2 hinges and 2 bolts to help keep the door straight over time.

On the roof draw a line around each side using a piece of quadrant - the outside of this will be a varnish exclusion zone

Attach the reinforcing quadrant for the roof to the sides back and front but do not attach the roof yet.

Now with a hole cutter you need to make ventilation and weight reducing holes plus a hand hole at the point of balance in the roof. I cannot really make a recommendation how many or where, I would just judge it. The most you think you can get away with for air flow and keep the strength.

Sand everything down.

varnish everything inside and out except the top of the roof quadrants and the exclusion zone on the roof.

I would apply 3 thin coats but you have to allow each coat to fully dry as the solvents in the varnish are harmful to the dogs (and us but we count for less)- I would expect this process to take at least a week in a warm room

Finally attach the roof making sure you remember to wipe off the excess glue on the inside.

good luck with whatever you decide to do

I built my own. Just used normal 6mm i think ply wood and made sure it was well painted. I constructed the main wooden box by gorilla gluing the sides together and using some lengths of triangular wooden strips in the corners to add strength. For the front i welded up a frame from 10mm steel and cover the door with mesh from a fire screen.

I bought the door locks and side handles from ebay. They were the most expensive bits !

All in it looks really good and wouldnt pay for another Trans K9 as i have in the past

35 minutes ago, worrall26 said:

This is what I done. As walkedup quoted.

Thats in old car, going to do similar  in next.

Screenshot_20210203-210039_Photos.jpg

I use a small ratchet strap at back of cages to keep them in. Then some beading in front too stop movement.  No drilling  was required  into  back of cab. 2 pieces of 3*2 wedged in ,then plywood on top and cages above. 

1 hour ago, worrall26 said:

This is what I done. As walkedup quoted.

Thats in old car, going to do similar  in next.

Screenshot_20210203-210039_Photos.jpg

You’ve done a lovely job there! 

Need a box for the X-trail I just bought, refuse to pay £595 for a Trans-K9, my mate bought one fee years ago said they were like £300. 

The box companies prices seem to have gone through the roof. 

I am keeping an eye on ebay and FB market. 

51 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

You’ve done a lovely job there! 

Need a box for the X-trail I just bought, refuse to pay £595 for a Trans-K9, my mate bought one fee years ago said they were like £300. 

The box companies prices seem to have gone through the roof. 

I am keeping an eye on ebay and FB market. 

Well over top on prices. Dogs and puppies the same. Refuse to pay it.