Ups and downs

lampro

Whilst in the military you have your mates to keep you going and to be there in the good times and the bad times. Since out on civy street there seems to be nothing there other than your own self discipline to keep you motivated. I have a family and there my motivation but man it's hard during these covid times to.keep my chin up keep pushing and cracking on. Is it me or is there no sense of community any more self preservation society of looking after no1 and sod your neighbor's 

I moved from a row of 9 houses in a village where everybody would go round to each others on a weekend for a one pot meal, a few drinks and some music. Everybody looked out for each other and in the summer it wasn’t uncommon for an impromptu “street party” to get going. Now we are in a semi where the neighbours look terrified if I say hello. 

That's great I cook my neighbor her tea every day since the first lock down as she carnt go anywhere but everyone else seems not wanting to know

1 minute ago, lampro said:

That's great I cook my neighbor her tea every day since the first lock down as she carnt go anywhere but everyone else seems not wanting to know

Sorry meant for Dave's post 

I’m thankful for the community my parents live in.  A small village in Wales. Today they were taken for their vaccine 20:miles away by a young farmer while “young” Margaret 50 at least got their shopping.  Neighbours check in on them.  They are active at 86 yrs and do drive still but short journeys.   When this is all over and they allow me back in Wales I will be doing something for every one of them that have helped.  

23 minutes ago, lampro said:

Sorry meant for Dave's post 

We are similar. We look out for a lady in her eighties. Wife cooks meals when needed, cut her hair this week and shops. I have fixed bits and pieces that have bust and dropped fire wood in. Everyone shares what they have. We have a neighbour help scheme whether it’s collecting shopping or medication or just helping with advice or support. Great to be part of.

34 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Depends where you live. We are part of an unbelievable small rural community here in Scotland. I have never known anything like it. There are the odd ones but generally everyone helps each other expecting no reward.

Spot on Dave. I live in a small hamlet, maybe 150 max and we have been inundated with kind offers right from the start of this corvid deal and we have returned favours.  We get an occasional townie buys a place but they soon learn the country ways of greeting folks with a "Good morning"   or "Good afternoon".  Youngsters tend to take a bit of training but soon pick up the idea.  We have lived in a city location and have to say our imediate neighbours where pretty good but after over twenty years there where some whom never looked, never mind spoke. 

44 minutes ago, lampro said:

Whilst in the military you have your mates to keep you going and to be there in the good times and the bad times. Since out on civy street there seems to be nothing there other than your own self discipline to keep you motivated. I have a family and there my motivation but man it's hard during these covid times to.keep my chin up keep pushing and cracking on. Is it me or is there no sense of community any more self preservation society of looking after no1 and sod your neighbor's 

Times are different,  a few years back my street was hit by floods and everyone was out helping which was great to see.

Get yourself involved with a sports team, we haven't played rugby since last March, some training has gone on but there's still been loads of banter and Micky taking and a mate to chat to if needed.

And think of your family, most folk probably only get time for work then home, especially during winter, never mind with the hassle of lockdown. 

Just now, Mice! said:

Times are different,  a few years back my street was hit by floods and everyone was out helping which was great to see.

Get yourself involved with a sports team, we haven't played rugby since last March, some training has gone on but there's still been loads of banter and Micky taking and a mate to chat to if needed.

And think of your family, most folk probably only get time for work then home, especially during winter, never mind with the hassle of lockdown. 

Hi mate I coach a ladies rugby team.in stafford Tuesday and Saturday but havmt done anything for months, snows gone and looking forward to getting the ferrets working Saturday with my lad I'm.hapoy just carnt work people out sometimes

When we went into first lockdown I continued working in my main job but became very very productive in the studio.
I don’t know if it was because the weather was nice, everywhere was quiet; we were applauding the NHS every week, and there was a sense we were all in this together, and optimism thrived as we could see a way out. 
With this lockdown it’s been much different in my opinion. 
The virus has grown worse and the news dwells far too much on the negatives and appears to not only relish the doom and gloom but promote it also; it’s almost like negative propaganda! 
I took December off to not only go beating and shooting but to get back in the studio, but the shooting season is trashed and I just can’t get motivated to paint. It’s slowly coming back, but I’m really struggling to get out of bed each morning. Perhaps it’s a combination of the weather and second lockdown, but it’s much different than the initial lockdown. 
No shooting/beating to look forward to, I can’t see my kids, can’t go for a coffee or a pint. ******🙂

The community spirit is still there, only virtual....it’s not like we can meet up in reality. 
We are social beings; we need the interaction. 

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

When we went into first lockdown I continued working in my main job but became very very productive in the studio.
I don’t know if it was because the weather was nice, everywhere was quiet; we were applauding the NHS every week, and there was a sense we were all in this together, and optimism thrived as we could see a way out. 
The virus has grown worse and the news dwells far too much on the negatives and appears to not only relish the doom and gloom but promote it also; it’s almost like negative propaganda! 
I took December off to not only go beating and shooting but to get back in the studio, but the shooting season is trashed and I just can’t get motivated to paint. It’s slowly coming back, but I’m really struggling to get out of bed each morning. Perhaps it’s a combination of the weather and second lockdown, but it’s much different than the initial lockdown. 
No shooting/beating to look forward to, I can’t see my kids, can’t go for a coffee or a pint. ******🙂

The community spirit is still there, only virtual....it’s not like we can meet up in reality. 

Would be great to see some of your work love painting and art 

12 minutes ago, Scully said:

Be better when you can get up to Westlands as well. I am fortunate that I have three days work a week and can still get out on the shore for a shot if I choose to. A few months and I will be out fishing so life’s not all bad despite everything. I do have friends who are really struggling to get on with life and just trying to keep their spirits up.

My next door neighbour (83yr old) slipped on the ice yesterday and cut his head open. Within minutes he had received first aid from another neighbour, another one sat with his wife (who has Alzheimer's). My daughter contacted me at work, I got in touch with his son, who lives abroad. After work I was straight round to see him. Other neighbours are calling in regularly. My daughter made them some cakes and took them around today with a card.

(All of this was socially distanced, of course)

I'd rather live in a small house with great neighbours than a large house with neighbours who are not great. If I ever sold, not that I would, I would vet the purchaser. I wouldn't let anybody inflict themselves on my friends on both sides of my house.

Good neighbours are out there, certainly where I live.

17 minutes ago, lampro said:

Hi mate I coach a ladies rugby team.in stafford Tuesday and Saturday but havmt done anything for months, snows gone and looking forward to getting the ferrets working Saturday with my lad I'm.hapoy just carnt work people out sometimes

Nowt stranger than folk, but I really do think its winter + lockdown.

Some of our lads are doing a running challenge starting 1st of Feb.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/run56challenge-faqs

That's got the banter going with lads doing warm up runs.

Hope the nets are bulging at the weekend 👍

2 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Nowt stranger than folk, but I really do think its winter + lockdown.

Some of our lads are doing a running challenge starting 1st of Feb.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/run56challenge-faqs

That's got the banter going with lads doing warm up runs.

Hope the nets are bulging at the weekend 👍

I have just posted the link onto my teams wats ap to get them.involved great idea and fingers crossed plenty of bunnies 

5 minutes ago, lampro said:

I have just posted the link onto my teams wats ap to get them.involved great idea and fingers crossed plenty of bunnies 

Excellent stuff, not my thing, I hate running but it's for a great cause. I was going to say I'll walk it, but they'd rip me forever 😄

17 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Be better when you can get up to Westlands as well. I am fortunate that I have three days work a week and can still get out on the shore for a shot if I choose to. A few months and I will be out fishing so life’s not all bad despite everything. I do have friends who are really struggling to get on with life and just trying to keep their spirits up.

True. Can’t wait to get back up there. 
I can go out on our rough shoot of course, which is grand, and am trying to arrange a ferreting day where we can bolt the rabbits to guns, it’s just the combined effects of the whole thing I think....short days and very little interaction. 
Am enjoying immensely getting out with pup, and it’s worth mentioning that if anyone IS  feeling a bit down in the dumps, getting out in daylight hours is a major boost to your mental health wellbeing. 
My work is generally fairly quiet at this time of year anyhow, which is fine if I can get motivated at the easel. 👍

My neighbours are anti social, my missus locked herself out once and the neighbour opposite was in the garden she completely blanked my missis and went in, cold and wet day although the postman offered to climb the gate and break in for her, community seems very distant

25 minutes ago, old man said:

MHO, FWIW, the news hounds seem to have an inbuilt desire to either bore the population to death by repeatedly asking the same stupid questions or trying to give the population clinical depression by the repeated carping on about doom and gloom?

A disgrace!

That was the massive problem they created when first reporting this virus 🦠 for months & months people thought it’s the news crying wolf again, it’s all ******** now it’s backfired. It has come to a point now I don’t watch the news.

shame on the media 

Edited by blackbird

38 minutes ago, blackbird said:

That was the massive problem they created when first reporting this virus 🦠 for months & months people thought it’s the news crying wolf again, it’s all ******** now it’s backfired. It has come to a point now I don’t watch the news.

shame on the media 

:good:

On the whole the nation is down in the dumps and fed up.of lockdown.

Many fond it hard, and to help others is kind many could do with help themselves.

I'm surprised at how many I talk to who are getting depressed especially having to.isolate and have shopping brought to them.

Vent on here fella, I'm sure you'll get the support and chin up.