Which Fryer.

fatchap

After years of burnt beyond recognition oven chips the wife has decided to get a fryer and given me the responsibility of the purchase (I have Amazon Prime)She has sort of pointed toward one of those Air Fryer jobbies but I'm not so sure, you can't beat a deep fat fryer.

So has anyone got an air Fryer and are they any good compared to a deep fat fryer?

I'm already watering at the mouth at the thought of chicken wings, Scampi, Onion rings. And decent crispy GOLDEN not Black chips.

Thats the main reason she is pointing toward an Air Fryer, is the smell and the clean up. Getting rid of the old oil is a nightmare round here the council do eventually collect it but its judging when they are going to turn up.

When I was living at home me mum had a big old saucepan with a mesh basket inside, The amount of times that caught fire!!!. She used to pour the old oil onto the bonfire my dad regularly had at the bottom of the garden obviously before he had lit it. I remember that used really get the fire going.

We don’t bother with either. Cut the chips dry and place in a bowl. Sprinkle over a little oil and toss them to make sure they are coated. Likewise sprinkle on a little paprika and make sure coated. Put them on a tray with aluminium foil lining in the oven, 200 for about 30 mins. Save yourself a fortune on gadgets and nothing to wash up.

Edited by Dave at kelton

I have a halogen oven which we have had for years and it’s pretty good, back end of last year I got a ninja smart grill / air fryer and since then we have barely turned the main oven on it is great, especially the grill. Stick the clever probe in a steak and tell it how you want it cooked and it beeps at you to turn it over and tells you when it’s done and you get a really nice griddle / grilled outside and perfect middle. Does chicken breast great too in the same way with the probe. 

My wife bought me a deep fat fryer for my birthday. We have restricted it to the weekends as you could go mad every night.So far I have done loads of chicken wings,fish,chips,wedges and even some snipe (as an experiment- they were lovely).

I keep it outside under cover beside the bbq so it doesn't stink out the house and change the oil after about 5 or 6 uses.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2021 at 11:12, D_shooter said:

I’ve got both, Air fryer produces better than ‘oven’ chips but if your after the deep fried taste then you can’t beat a deep fryer! 

I don’t use the deep fryer inside as the smell ruins it for me, however in the summer it’s ace with a BBQ

Same for me.

I find if you add more oil to the air fryer than recommended and sprinkle with salt at the start you get better chips.

Variety of spuds makes a difference but I'm not learned enough to say which variety is best.

We were bought the ninja air fryer by my Son 2 chrismases ago, it's great, does great chips, they will never be as good as deep fried  chips, but they are very good, and the ninja has a pressure cooker built in, cook and crisp a chicken in no time at all, and i cook my steak in it comes out perfect.