Easy Money.

fatchap

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, D_shooter said:

With the exception of only fans (Something I know nothing of) the people who actually make good money are really working to make it a full time job, some of the people I watch post 3-4 episodes around an hour long each week.

With how much time it takes to film and edit that sort of content it should be worth doing!! 

The clever ones make real money from product placement and merchandise etc rather than just google add revenue. 

Indeed, it's the very opposite of easy money.  

As the OP has found, production time to actual video time can be massive, a ratio of 16:1 is not bad, and 12:1 is good (i.e. for every hour of video, you spend 16h shooting, editing, b-roll, etc...)

15 hours ago, D_shooter said:

Intros and outtakes can fill a few minuets while being fairly easy to produce, especially showing off the knife you have just made. 

For gawd's sake ignore this advice!!! Nothing worse than interminable intros waffling on - will have the viewer switching off immediately.  Brief intro and then get on with it.  As for out-takes....if you must, but at the end.

Don't confuse out-takes with showing your mistakes.

16 hours ago, Scully said:

His name is going to bug me now! 

Ben H?? 😂 - Sorry - couldn't resist

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Bait, more like. 🙂

Jail???

@Scully My son in his teens was in around the top few thousand FIFA online players, but wasn’t interested enough to take it further. He outgrew it basically.

My 17 year old son is a Sim Racer and is extremely good - only last night he won in a race that had a Professional Sim Racer in it (drives for one of the F1 Sim teams), he was the DHL Fastest Lap at Silverstone F1 and also owned 6 F2 drivers losing out to a pro eSporter in the final who in a real race would have been black flagged!! - Can I get him to take advantage of it - meanwhile he is failing at 6th form, hasn't a clue what he is going to do with life 😞

37 minutes ago, discobob said:

My 17 year old son is a Sim Racer and is extremely good - only last night he won in a race that had a Professional Sim Racer in it (drives for one of the F1 Sim teams), he was the DHL Fastest Lap at Silverstone F1 and also owned 6 F2 drivers losing out to a pro eSporter in the final who in a real race would have been black flagged!! - Can I get him to take advantage of it - meanwhile he is failing at 6th form, hasn't a clue what he is going to do with life 😞

I wouldnt worry too much; it’s not easy being a teen, and he’ll come right in the end; they usually do. 

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

As the OP has found, production time to actual video time can be massive, a ratio of 16:1 is not bad, and 12:1 is good (i.e. for every hour of video, you spend 16h shooting, editing, b-roll, etc...)

For gawd's sake ignore this advice!!! Nothing worse than interminable intros waffling on - will have the viewer switching off immediately.  Brief intro and then get on with it.  As for out-takes....if you must, but at the end.

Some good advise there. I spent a good 3 hours yesterday editing a video of me making a filleting knife, I made it quite some time back, I know 3 hours is not that long but you see my point when all I managed to get was 4 minutes of usable flowing video. Its seems to be common Knowledge on the You Tube and instagram forums that for better video's and easier editing you need a Mac. I have a gaming computer with windows 10 and Cyber Link Power director editing software, This software is pretty much what everyone uses but is far more useable on a Mac than windows.

I try to keep my intro's short with a shot of the finished knife the first thing the viewer sees. I do add a bit of comedy here and there. Did one where I am moving something on the workbench and I disturb this monster of a spider we looked at each other and I spliced in the Run neme and me decamping the shed very quickly which went down quite well. A few probably don't know what the Run neme is. But its used to good effect on a lot of You Tube video's.

5 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Some good advise there. I spent a good 3 hours yesterday editing a video of me making a filleting knife, I made it quite some time back, I know 3 hours is not that long but you see my point when all I managed to get was 4 minutes of usable flowing video. Its seems to be common Knowledge on the You Tube and instagram forums that for better video's and easier editing you need a Mac. I have a gaming computer with windows 10 and Cyber Link Power director editing software, This software is pretty much what everyone uses but is far more useable on a Mac than windows.

I try to keep my intro's short with a shot of the finished knife the first thing the viewer sees. I do add a bit of comedy here and there. Did one where I am moving something on the workbench and I disturb this monster of a spider we looked at each other and I spliced in the Run neme and me decamping the shed very quickly which went down quite well. A few probably don't know what the Run neme is. But its used to good effect on a lot of You Tube video's.

Planning what you are going to shoot is a good idea - like a story board - even if it is just a bullet point. I try to tell my youngest this (except for his livestreams which is in the hand of the gods). Also, sometimes keeping the clock ups in are good for viewer participation - even the toung tied garbage that comes out - 10 minute workshop tickles me when he looses it for some reason :D

Keeping the video interesting is key. Filming the heat treat for instance show the quench, they love that the more flames you get the better and if the blade is still on fire and you can't put it out is also quite amusing but don't show the tempering cycle, boring. yes show them it going in the oven and coming out afterwards. Thats another thing that slows me down is the temper cycle. I had a small oven in my workshop but it kept popping the fuse everytime I fired it up so had to use the main one in the kitchen. This does not bode too well with the wife so usually have to wait till she is at work. More time wasted.

Ok to show the balls ups but don't swear. I do a lot of swearing especially when nothing is going right and I should just stop and go indoors. Sometimes when you have edited out the swearing there is not a great deal left to work with.

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

For gawd's sake ignore this advice!!! Nothing worse than interminable intros waffling on - will have the viewer switching off immediately.  Brief intro and then get on with it.  

I gave this same advice recently to someone who posted a video and asked how it was. 

The intro was a bit long and I felt quite overdone and as you say I was switched off before the main content even started! 

I felt this was fair feedback, everyone just grumbled and said “ignore the above” 🤣🤣🤣

There are an increasing number of people who only want the advice they already had in their head (normally how good it is). 

People seem to be afraid or unable to give negative or constructive reviews these days. Not sure how anyone is supposed to improve if all they ever get is ‘be nice feedback’ ...

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Easy to say ignore it, without knowing how the OP presents himself and his ‘brand’. 

ALL of the successful YouTube stars have a ‘brand’ which is normally pushed heavily in the intros and out takes. 

Some for example show snips of previous videos / projects etc which provides a back story or ‘brand’ that ultimately you are probably interested in if your watching their videos. 

I’m not talking about babbling on in front of a camera about how your day is going....

The thing to remember is that you’re selling yourself. If your product is good and you are good at producing it, and it’s popular, and you yourself are good craic and enjoy having the craic, then just talk to your audience like they’re your mates. It has to be entertaining.
Have a good think of what you look for in a good video, and especially which things make you turn off or skip to the end. 
Music in general but especially loud rock music does it for me; like the type you typically find in American programmes. No amount of music will save a bad film or product. 
Don’t be afraid of making mistakes and letting people know you made them; as long as your videos don’t consist of bumbling along from one mistake to another. 

32 minutes ago, Scully said:

The thing to remember is that you’re selling yourself. If your product is good and you are good at producing it, and it’s popular, and you yourself are good craic and enjoy having the craic, then just talk to your audience like they’re your mates. It has to be entertaining.
Have a good think of what you look for in a good video, and especially which things make you turn off or skip to the end. 
Music in general but especially loud rock music does it for me; like the type you typically find in American programmes. No amount of music will save a bad film or product. 
Don’t be afraid of making mistakes and letting people know you made them; as long as your videos don’t consist of bumbling along from one mistake to another. 

I cannot stand the music available for You Tube video's there are many sites that offer the music free. You can't use copyrighted material at all. Not even a snip. Its a shame because most of the music you can use is so bad. They all seem to have been sung by Pinky and Perky. The others the singer makes full use of Autotune.

Getting aspiring bands to send thier music to you to use in your video's is a good idea. Colin Furze does it all the time but he is pretty much a You Tube celebrity. I doubt many bands just starting out would send me thier music, as my subscriber count is...........lets not go there!!!!

Just watched the latest DIRESTA upload on You Tube the second part to his truck referb. And the music was dire!!! Sounded African tribal or something but I thought straight away this music does not go with the video at all, And just turned the volume down.

On 28/01/2021 at 19:18, Zapp said:

My ex's daughter is one of the biggest UK YouTube/instagram "influencers" and she has made enough at 19 to have two houses paid off and before coronavirus lots of very expensive stuff, holidays etc.

Fair play I think, I wish I'd had such an eye for an opportunity at her age.

Ain't that the truth?

My 14 year old lad makes about £5 a day just posting stuff about building houses on bloxburg - nice bit of pocket money for him, but he told me that you need a minimum of 1,000 subscribers and then a serious amount of watch time, plus you need to target what you do to meet what advertisers will pay. For example if you do youtubes on investing in gemstones then a pension company advertiser might pay more revenue per advert than say a camping supplier would on a hiking youtube.

On 30/01/2021 at 11:43, oowee said:

My Daughter in law posts video's of whispering on you tube. They too make decent money from what looks to me to be complete tosh. My son  has a meter on his phone that shows the views and cash generated from each of the vid's. This is the sort of tosh :- 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhpBIKNf9A

Nearly 3million views!!

I watch a chap on U Tube, 2 channels, Shaune James and My self reliance,. He lives off grid in Ontario and builds his own cabin plus workshops outside kitchen,etc. ,all using hand tools. He has a beautiful Golden retreaver who is star of the show and has over2 million  subscribers. I find his info really interesting and learn something new every day. He is very infomative and exceptionally humble. He hunts ,fishes, cooksand has a real love of his environment,  lots of emulators but non anywhere as good as him. Says it takes him hours to edit but the quality is superb.

From Auntie.