Adnams ghost ship

the hitman

Hi Folks 

I much prefer to drink beer/ales in the darker months, Newcastle brown, speckled hen etc. Today while in my local Tesco I found a reduced Adnams ghost ship keg for £8, and I am looking forward to cracking it open this weekend. I have had the Adnams broadside which is quite a potent brew.

Any tried the ghost ship?

Hitman 

Cannot comment on the kegs as I don`t drink much beer these days (even before lockdown when the pubs were open) but my absolute favourite is Adnams Broadside on draught. Another favourite in the autumn by our local Brewers Shepherd Neame is Late Red. Not a particular lover of bottled beer though.

OB

6 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Cannot comment on the kegs as I don`t drink much beer these days (even before lockdown when the pubs were open) but my absolute favourite is Adnams Broadside on draught. Another favourite in the autumn by our local Brewers Shepherd Neame is Late Red. Not a particular lover of bottled beer though.

OB

Late Red is a truly excellent brew. Over 10 years since I left Kent and it would be one of the things I miss. I most definitely do not miss the old S n N Masterbrew though, we used to joke that we would be less ill if they re-routed the pipes from the pond - except it was not really a joke. Then along came Spitfire and we no longer had to drive miles looking for a well kept pint of Bass.

With Adnams and Greene King we are truly blessed in East Anglia for some good ales.

I have cracked open the chilled keg of ghost ship and I must say it’s rather nice. 
It has floral notes of elderflower, mango & orange peel. It tastes like what I would describe as a summer beer - very citrus and tangy, and reminds me of a real ale called Creel ale which I enjoyed about 2 years ago in a small village pub near Stranraer in S/W Scotland.

If I seen this on draught I would definitely have a pint.

Hitman 

20 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oh well, too late now!

I will go to my local Tesco and buy the remaining kegs -(£8 bargain) and try it at room temperature next time.

To be honest I kept the keg in my conservatory which is cool rather than chilled - hopefully I haven’t ruined it .

Unfortunately it has become de rigeur to drink beer at lager temperatures. One of the reasons I will not drink in most pubs pre lockdown.

I enjoy drinking for the flavour as well as the effect.

If you do get another keg, try it the traditional (old) way, you may find you can taste the flavour more.

Do you eat cheese straight from the fridge or do you allow it to warm up a little?

To get the flavour I slice it and leave it to come up to room temperature and get much more enjoyment.

13 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Unfortunately it has become de rigeur to drink beer at lager temperatures. One of the reasons I will not drink in most pubs pre lockdown.

I enjoy drinking for the flavour as well as the effect.

If you do get another keg, try it the traditional (old) way, you may find you can taste the flavour more.

Do you eat cheese straight from the fridge or do you allow it to warm up a little?

To get the flavour I slice it and leave it to come up to room temperature and get much more enjoyment.

Fair point Tightchoke- although I do normally drink all my bottled beer -Newcastle brown, speckled hen chilled.

Real ale in a pub is in a different  league and can’t be replaced by a home served keg .

1 hour ago, the hitman said:

I have cracked open the chilled keg of ghost ship and I must say it’s rather nice. 
It has floral notes of elderflower, mango & orange peel. It tastes like what I would describe as a summer beer - very citrus and tangy, and reminds me of a real ale called Creel ale which I enjoyed about 2 years ago in a small village pub near Stranraer in S/W Scotland.

If I seen this on draught I would definitely have a pint.

Hitman 

I had a night in my local a few years ago, the landlord kindly put on Adnams Ghostship and Timothy Taylor Landlord, I must have had 7 or 8 pints of each...good times.

13 minutes ago, the hitman said:

Fair point Tightchoke- although I do normally drink all my bottled beer -Newcastle brown, speckled hen chilled.

Real ale in a pub is in a different  league and can’t be replaced by a home served keg .

Do you use your fridge as just a cupboard with a light in? My beer sits in the pantry and will be brought out to warm up a couple of hours before I intend to drink it. It really is a different experience.

I have been in to pubs with my eldest son and have asked for bottled beer only to find it is kept in a fridge. I then ask if they have any that has not been chilled to the point of negating the flavour and the wonderful experience that is beer drunk at a proper temperature.

I quite agree, but surely to get the flavour out by allowing the temperature to reach a couple of degrees below room temperature is worth the wait with a little planning?

15 hours ago, 243deer said:

Late Red is a truly excellent brew. Over 10 years since I left Kent and it would be one of the things I miss. I most definitely do not miss the old S n N Masterbrew though, we used to joke that we would be less ill if they re-routed the pipes from the pond - except it was not really a joke. Then along came Spitfire and we no longer had to drive miles looking for a well kept pint of Bass.

With Adnams and Greene King we are truly blessed in East Anglia for some good ales.

Greene King are one of the worst around, shockingly bad beer.

11 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Do you use your fridge as just a cupboard with a light in? My beer sits in the pantry and will be brought out to warm up a couple of hours before I intend to drink it. It really is a different experience.

I have been in to pubs with my eldest son and have asked for bottled beer only to find it is kept in a fridge. I then ask if they have any that has not been chilled to the point of negating the flavour and the wonderful experience that is beer drunk at a proper temperature.

I quite agree, but surely to get the flavour out by allowing the temperature to reach a couple of degrees below room temperature is worth the wait with a little planning?

Depends on the beer is suppose, you dont want cold cask, but you dont want all beers room temp, I've had some very dank IPAs that benefit from a slight chill and some that dont, especially some of the cryo hopped ones.