hikvision thermal

babs2020

Hi, I have tried one out on loan for a few weeks, it was a 15mm. 

It was easy to use straight out the box, I was used to a wider field of vision, so 15mm took a little bit of getting used to but the HikVision could spot hidden squirrels quicker than my older Pulsar.

The HikVision had one very annoying habit, in that green crosses would pop up all over the screen when it detected other minor sources of heat (leaves) etc as well as the main red, white or black heat source. Very distracting! Apparently there is a YouTube video showing how to switch off this annoying facility.

The HikVision is very good value .

On 28/01/2021 at 23:31, babs2020 said:

hi anybody got one using  it any reviews any   6 mm 15 mm or 19 mm

Hi, I should add that the battery life  is very good. they are about the size of a flir but far superior, quick recalibration and doesn’t switch off every minute!

The local full time red squirrel rangers have replaced their flirs with  Hikvision and speak highly of them.

On 29/01/2021 at 08:04, Sciurus said:

Hi, I have tried one out on loan for a few weeks, it was a 15mm. 

It was easy to use straight out the box, I was used to a wider field of vision, so 15mm took a little bit of getting used to but the HikVision could spot hidden squirrels quicker than my older Pulsar.

The HikVision had one very annoying habit, in that green crosses would pop up all over the screen when it detected other minor sources of heat (leaves) etc as well as the main red, white or black heat source. Very distracting! Apparently there is a YouTube video showing how to switch off this annoying facility.

The HikVision is very good value .

You can turn the green crosses off. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I recently purchased the 6mm Hikvision for use when Squirrel shooting.  It arrived last week during the cold spell so I took into our local park where there I know there are lots of tame squirrels.  I must admit I was a bit underwhelmed, if I looked at a squirrel in the tree I could just about make out where it was in the thermal picture.  The trees were white in the picture, with the squirrels showing as just a little brighter, had I not known where the squirrel was I don't think I would have picked it up in a general scan of the tree, however I thought to myself with use I may get a bit more tuned into the pictures and pick out the heat sources a little easier.

Fast forward to yesterday and the ambient temperature has increased and the camera has really come into its own.  I shot 6 squirrels yesterday with my Mossberg 410 and 3 were as a direct result of the camera.  I use the white hot setting and the heat of the squirrel now stand out reasonably clearly within the trees when I scan them.  I cannot make out a definitive outline but just a blob of heat, but that is fine for me as I am not working at great distances.

It is still early days but the unit was just over £400 and I am happy with it, I am sure the 9mm and 15mm models give a better picture but I cannot justify the cost of those for the type and amount of shooting that I do.  There are plenty of settings to mess around, the battery life is really good and the picture doesn't constantly freeze as it recalibrates.

Hi fiesta, glad you are making some headway with the HikVision. As you have found out, thermals don’t work well in freezing weather or sun. I was surprised the other week to get readings from a stream which was warmer than the frozen ground next to it. It’s all to do with the contrast with the ambient temperature. They work best on dull cloudy days. If there is some sun, it’s best to scan towards the sun, this way you are scanning the rear of the trees which have not been heated up.

Keep whacking those greys👍

2 hours ago, Sciurus said:

Hi fiesta, glad you are making some headway with the HikVision. As you have found out, thermals don’t work well in freezing weather or sun. I was surprised the other week to get readings from a stream which was warmer than the frozen ground next to it. It’s all to do with the contrast with the ambient temperature. They work best on dull cloudy days. If there is some sun, it’s best to scan towards the sun, this way you are scanning the rear of the trees which have not been heated up.

Keep whacking those greys👍

Thanks for he tip, I am sure the more I use it the more confident I will get with interpreting the picture.    At the minute I am walking quietly,  stopping and scanning the trees up ahead then moving on.  I also intend to use it when set up in the hide near my feeding station.  Any other tips on how best to use it will be gratefully received.

Matt

@fiesta14, Matt,  it sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Its a really good idea to practice in local park where there are plenty of greys, this will help you judge the shape and distance of the grey. Ie they will be red closer to you and white if they are further away. Also practice on woodpigeons and recognise their shape. 

Squirrels show a solid colour, red or white. If only their head is showing, it looks like a golf ball. Pigeons just show up as grey, possibly with a small reddish head.

The more you practise, the more you will see.

Being retired, I look at the weather forecast and don’t take the thermal out if it is sunny or clear skies. Like you, I often use a Mossberg .410 so I take binos to confirm the sighting or exact position of the grey. 

Enjoy your thermal.