Which association?

ReddZed

My SCT finally arrived this week. While I can't get out and buy a gun, I can sort out insurance/association membership. There appear to be a few options on the table (BASC, CPSA, SCTA, just insurance with someone like Gunplan, etc.), so thought I'd ask for some opinions here.

My primary use of the gun will be clays - local club and probably some pay&play further afield...some competitions perhaps?. I would like to be able to bring my family along to shoot with me. I have no current plans on shooting any game, but wouldn't want to rule it out in the future. I'm also based in Scotland.

So who/what would you recommend and why?

Why do you want to join any of them? Deciding that will help you decide which if any to join. 

What services provided by the organisations would you value?

If it is simply for insurance then make sure Insurance is provided rather than insurance of last resort.

Edited by oowee

54 minutes ago, clangerman said:

as the orgs have stuffed us with a so called voluntary lead ban (don’t laugh) unless you need the insurance don’t join any of them 

agree with this entirely - I did not rejoin any of the organisations on the list because they did not have the courtesy to ask their members opinions before going ahead with the statement. Despite raising concerns regarding .410 ammo I have never had any indication that they care a jot for anyone who does not have deep enough pockets to afford large number game days. They have also never given me a response when I have raised the evidence from New Zealand that lead shot is not actually harming the environment - where it occurs naturally - wetlands excluded. I have also asked individual members of organisations to give me definitive proof of even one game bird that has died of lead poisoning - shooting aside - no response. All adds up to no more money from me. I still get my insurance from Lycetts just via another organisation. 

23 hours ago, Scully said:

If it’s just insurance you want then Gunplan can do it as cheap as you want to make it ( which is who I’m with now ) but if you’re wanting to shoot comps, then maybe have a look at what the CPSA have to offer? 

I am with Scully, I was a member of BASC for around 20yrs till I needed their help then they just did not want to know. Have a look at Gunplan but what they are like if you have to claim I can’t tell you.

Edited by blackbird