2021 Chilli Growing

roadkill

So who's taking the plunge this year and growing their own Chilli plants? My plan is to go from seed to sauce and make a nice hot sauce at the end of it. So far I have sown the following 

Piri piri

Cayenne 

Chocolate habanero 

Scotch bonnets 

Curry chilli

Padron peppers 

Yellow bhut jolokia

Fuego 

IMG_20210130_112100_482.jpg

IMG_20210130_112100_522.jpg

IMG_20210130_112100_542.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got Birds eye seeds saved from last year

and plants overwintering

for exotic types have a look World of Chillies  somewhere near Manchester

They have seeds and plants  plus a very helpful website as to growing

plant feeding and pest control

They have been very helpful to me with plant ID

21 minutes ago, roadkill said:

So who's taking the plunge this year and growing their own Chilli plants? My plan is to go from seed to sauce and make a nice hot sauce at the end of it. So far I have sown the following 

Piri piri

Cayenne 

Chocolate habanero 

Scotch bonnets 

Curry chilli

Padron peppers 

Yellow bhut jolokia

Fuego 

IMG_20210130_112100_482.jpg

IMG_20210130_112100_522.jpg

IMG_20210130_112100_542.jpg

I'll be doing some in Feb, start in the prop and then into the light box. Will defo be growing Trinidad Moruga (my favourite) maybe some other super hots. Did about 8 types last year but thinking of doing 3 types with the Kratky method on big tubs.

Screenshot_20210130-114645_Instagram.jpg

20210130_114714.jpg

Screenshot_20210130-114905_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210130-114929_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210130-114802_Instagram.jpg

Looks like you have a nice selection of heat and flavour there for 2021 season 👌 

20 minutes ago, Ratlegs said:

I've got Birds eye seeds saved from last year

and plants overwintering

for exotic types have a look World of Chillies  somewhere near Manchester

They have seeds and plants  plus a very helpful website as to growing

plant feeding and pest control

They have been very helpful to me with plant ID

Will take a look, I watch chilli chump on YouTube,  he goes from the growing process all the way to fermenting the chillis ready for the hot sauce. Cant wait to see how these turn out.

17 minutes ago, Pangolin said:

I'll be doing some in Feb, start in the prop and then into the light box. Will defo be growing Trinidad Moruga (my favourite) maybe some other super hots. Did about 8 types last year but thinking of doing 3 types with the Kratky method on big tubs.

Screenshot_20210130-114645_Instagram.jpg

20210130_114714.jpg

Screenshot_20210130-114905_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210130-114929_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210130-114802_Instagram.jpg

Looks like you have a nice selection of heat and flavour there for 2021 season 👌 

Looks a good setup and that chilli looks quite cool also, will note that down for next year.

3 minutes ago, roadkill said:

Will take a look, I watch chilli chump on YouTube,  he goes from the growing process all the way to fermenting the chillis ready for the hot sauce. Cant wait to see how these turn out.

Looks a good setup and that chilli looks quite cool also, will note that down for next year.

A light box helps to really give them a headstart during these months, as soon as they sprout I put them in a polystyrene box thats lined with tin foin and massive 6500k lamp.

Edited by Pangolin

7 minutes ago, Pangolin said:

A light box helps to really give them a headstart during these months, as soon as they sprout I put them in a polystyrene box thats lined with tin foin and massive 6500k lamp.

I have something similar that I hope will work, at the minute it's on it's side so that the main T5s are an inch off the propagator lid

4 minutes ago, Mungler said:

I’m kicking my seeds off this weekend.

The key secret is clingfilm.

That is all.

Do share? 

FB_IMG_1612009345427.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, rosshouse said:

Your plants are looking great. What are the conditions  are you growing them in, temp. light?

I have them growing in a 5ftx2ftx2ft grow tent, no additional heat, T5 light unit which keeps the heat in the 20s, also have a mini fan for airflow 

Gave them a watering today, currently watering every 4,5 days from the bottom only 

20210308_120045.jpg

I was supposed to do mine at the start of Feb, got distracted and lazy, planted these on 28th Feb, Paper Lanterns have started to come through.

Planted a few different chillies, was only going to do two types this year but ended up with more. Found some herbs in the seed box so put them in for the sake of it.

Chucked them in the lightbox to help them catch up, just a polystyrene box lined with foil and a 6500k 85w lamp on a timer. It works really well.

List of plants in the trays -

Trinidad Scorpion, Kashmiri Mirch, Paper Lantern, Mirasol, Purple Marconi, Thai Basil, Lemon Grass, Marjoram, Basil, Italian Parsley, Roma Tomato, Vintage Wine Tomato.

20210308_161812.jpg

20210308_161838.jpg