2021 Chilli Growing

roadkill

We’ve planted ours but I think the seeds must be too old as the tomato and basil is growing well but the chillis aren’t even showing. Will get some new seeds and try again. 

3 hours ago, Pangolin said:

I was supposed to do mine at the start of Feb, got distracted and lazy, planted these on 28th Feb, Paper Lanterns have started to come through.

Planted a few different chillies, was only going to do two types this year but ended up with more. Found some herbs in the seed box so put them in for the sake of it.

Chucked them in the lightbox to help them catch up, just a polystyrene box lined with foil and a 6500k 85w lamp on a timer. It works really well.

List of plants in the trays -

Trinidad Scorpion, Kashmiri Mirch, Paper Lantern, Mirasol, Purple Marconi, Thai Basil, Lemon Grass, Marjoram, Basil, Italian Parsley, Roma Tomato, Vintage Wine Tomato.

20210308_161812.jpg

20210308_161838.jpg

Might copy that - got a box just like that in the garage. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, oscarsdad said:

We’ve planted ours but I think the seeds must be too old as the tomato and basil is growing well but the chillis aren’t even showing. Will get some new seeds and try again. 

Might copy that - got a box just like that in the garage. 

Do it, thats a frozen fish delivery box off a friend.

Some of the herbs that have just come through are from seeds that were meant to be sown by 2015.

Ive had some chillies show after about 7 days and some have taken a good 20+ days.

Daft question, but bear with me!!

Having spent an absolute fortune on seeds this year because i can't find my leftovers from last year, is there any reason why i can't just buy a bag of mixed chilis from Tesco, harvest the seeds and dry them out?

Do they need to be dried or can they be planted fresh out of the plant?

2 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Daft question, but bear with me!!

Having spent an absolute fortune on seeds this year because i can't find my leftovers from last year, is there any reason why i can't just buy a bag of mixed chilis from Tesco, harvest the seeds and dry them out?

Do they need to be dried or can they be planted fresh out of the plant?

I did that with some big sweet romano peppers from sainsburys, i dried the seeds out, left the seeds in some damp kitchen towel and they grew.

Some plants will, some wont, i think it depends if theyre a stable hybrid etc.

Try it though.

So, I’ve done my usual window cill full of tomatoes and chillis.

The weird thing is I have a chilli shaker full of California reaper chilli seeds from last year and when planting out I put a couple of these seeds into a seed tray. They were the first out and doing the best.

If anyone wants any, PM me your address and I’ll just sling them into an envelope. Oh and after handling, lick your fingers for the full sense of what’s coming 😆

70C7EE9C-F9A9-4C7E-86FD-2E7AD3139C44.jpeg

Edited by Mungler

4 hours ago, Mungler said:

The weird thing is I have a chilli shaker full of California reaper chilli seeds from last year and when planting out I put a couple of these seeds into a seed tray. They were the first out and doing the best.

If anyone wants any, PM me your address and I’ll just sling them into an envelope. Oh and after handling, lick your fingers for the full sense of what’s coming 😆

I have a jar full of the same ones, very pungent when you open it isnt it. I have some dried Dorset Naga x Habanero if you want some.

4 hours ago, Mungler said:

Was it you who sent me some plants about 6 years ago addressed to “ Anal thunder returns department .” I did have a laugh I freeze dried the crop which was huge and am on the last tub in the freezer ! 

I germinated mine indoors in early Feb. then moved them into the greenhouse in a small propigator. Temp. was fine but I reckon short daylight hours was the cause of them being slightly streached, they are on their third leave now but with the increase in daylight I think they will come on fine. Next year I"ll try the light/box method. 

6 hours ago, deershooter said:

Was it you who sent me some plants about 6 years ago addressed to “ Anal thunder returns department .” I did have a laugh I freeze dried the crop which was huge and am on the last tub in the freezer ! 

😆😆😆 yes, that was me.

Let me know if you need any more seeds - these are quite amazing. One chilli will turn a whole pot for 6 into a madras from a standstill 

18 hours ago, Pangolin said:

I have a jar full of the same ones, very pungent when you open it isnt it. I have some dried Dorset Naga x Habanero if you want some.

Very kind offer squire and whilst I give 90% of what I grow away to try and get more people into it, I’ve still got about 200 plants more than I need.

• 2 weeks later...

But late to the party this year, but seedlings doing well. Lord knows I’m probably on some drug squad watchlist after ordering a grow-lamp from Amazon!

My usual selection - big fruity warm Basque chillies, long thin Palivec goatshorn chillies, and some Apache that Des on here sent me a few years ago.

I don’t know why I don’t just sow one to pot, because my germination rates have got to be 80-90%, and I cannot bear to pluck out any to throw away. I reckon there must be 50 seedlings that’ll need potting on tomorrow!

This year, I’ve also sown some unspecified sweet peppers. Amazingly, these came free with a heated propagator that my wife bought me 10 years ago, and they have all come up (bar one). No idea what they’ll turn out like, but I just love growing stuff :wub:

LS

On 30/03/2021 at 23:00, lord_seagrave said:

But late to the party this year, but seedlings doing well. Lord knows I’m probably on some drug squad watchlist after ordering a grow-lamp from Amazon!

My usual selection - big fruity warm Basque chillies, long thin Palivec goatshorn chillies, and some Apache that Des on here sent me a few years ago.

I don’t know why I don’t just sow one to pot, because my germination rates have got to be 80-90%, and I cannot bear to pluck out any to throw away. I reckon there must be 50 seedlings that’ll need potting on tomorrow!

This year, I’ve also sown some unspecified sweet peppers. Amazingly, these came free with a heated propagator that my wife bought me 10 years ago, and they have all come up (bar one). No idea what they’ll turn out like, but I just love growing stuff

LS

welcome to the party .hope the apache grow alright for you i did well with the basque you sent me last year. got a few different ones to try this year not doing to well at moment though .hope you are well to.

My little corner of Seagrave Towers featuring all sorts of goodies - including a beech seed and a conked I found on a walk that had started to germinate.

My favourite are about half-a-dozen Basque seeds that seem to have crossed with something, as they have purple cotyledons and a purple blush to the leaf edges as they are coming through. They grew next to some “Vampire” chillies that were 100% black, so maybe they were pollinated by those 🤷‍♂️

LS

image.jpg

Basque x ???

image.jpg

always veiwed the chile threads with interest as i do like chile...more the taste and not too much heat...........

one thing i should point out.......is the pain hot chile's can aspire to if handled incorrectly.............perhaps they should come under the same umbrella as high explosive ....and to handle them you should be liecensed............

it all seems a bit of a dark art....the names of chile plants...and how they are nutured.....surprised there isnt a sub forum somewhere on the dark net being monitered by GCHQ.........

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

always veiwed the chile threads with interest as i do like chile...more the taste and not too much heat...........

one thing i should point out.......is the pain hot chile's can aspire to if handled incorrectly.............perhaps they should come under the same umbrella as high explosive ....and to handle them you should be liecensed............

it all seems a bit of a dark art....the names of chile plants...and how they are nutured.....surprised there isnt a sub forum somewhere on the dark net being monitered by GCHQ.........

Not so much a dark art, but you can increase the heat produced  by stressing the plant in dry / hot weather. 

if your into heat and flavour try some of the less common (in the shops) baccatum species, things like the aji lemon. 

still spicy but very fragrant.