2021 Chilli Growing

roadkill

when i worked in africa.....some of the rice dishes came with a bowlful of roundish chile peppers about the size of a gobstopper....these peppers were to be eaten with the rice and meat .....cukoo-wali......they were raw and very ...and i mean very full of flavour...and i love the taste of chile....but virtually no heat in them     ...so you got the full chile flavour.............

i do like a hot chile now and again.....but i dont see any point eating chile that is 15 million on the Zeiglar scale......and when you report to the loo in the morning ...and your bottom says hello to what feels like an RNLI magnesium distress flare.......

well thats not my scene

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

when i worked in africa.....some of the rice dishes came with a bowlful of roundish chile peppers about the size of a gobstopper....these peppers were to be eaten with the rice and meat .....cukoo-wali......they were raw and very ...and i mean very full of flavour...and i love the taste of chile....but virtually no heat in them     ...so you got the full chile flavour.............

i do like a hot chile now and again.....but i dont see any point eating chile that is 15 million on the Zeiglar scale......and when you report to the loo in the morning ...and your bottom says hello to what feels like an RNLI magnesium distress flare.......

well thats not my scene

The heat really is about tolerance, much like alcohol. What I think is full of flavour would ruin some one else’s meal. Having said that there are thousands of peppers that people can enjoy, I try to grow a large enough variety that everyone can enjoy them. 

last year I grew some “big bombs” a plump round red variety that is no doubt a commercial cross. They had little to no heat for me , around the pickled chilli heat from the kebab shop? Perfect for stuffing with cheese. 

A couple of this years. 

7E4766CC-A1AF-425C-B91E-6C32B7CB6513.jpeg.8ca0a2cf803d525a011d559c7865e379.jpeg

4290D399-19AD-4532-B750-B84461E3C926.jpeg

E89E88BB-2DC8-47C7-9177-E7B78230E325.jpeg

Edited by D_shooter
Photo

13 hours ago, ditchman said:

well thats not my scene

Then south african peppadews are like that, lovely things, you can sometimes get the patented seeds online.

Yellow Trinidad Moruga Scorpions are my favourite, hot af but have a massive citrus aroma, I love them diced in pico de gallo or use them to marinade chicken thigh fillets.

My Mrs hates them, she would die, but as @D_shooter said, its about tolerance and that tolerance builds pretty quickly.

Edited by Pangolin

10 hours ago, Pangolin said:

Then south african peppadews are like that, lovely things, you can sometimes get the patented seeds online.

Yellow Trinidad Moruga Scorpions are my favourite, hot af but have a massive citrus aroma, I love them diced in pico de gallo or use them to marinade chicken thigh fillets.

My Mrs hates them, she would die, but as @D_shooter said, its about tolerance and that tolerance builds pretty quickly.

I have a soft spot for chocolate habaneros,  quite warm but have an amazing earthy taste. Some great plants being grown this year from the pw guys.. 

What do you all plan to do with the produce?

12 hours ago, roadkill said:

I have a soft spot for chocolate habaneros,  quite warm but have an amazing earthy taste. Some great plants being grown this year from the pw guys.. 

I usually dry them to keep for stews or to give away to people, I freeze them to make pico de gallo most of the time.

I like growing them so dont mind giving them away.

21 hours ago, roadkill said:

Scotch bonnets mostly get made into jerk marinade and frozen. 

Everything else normally gets powdered or frozen fresh depending on types. 

I’ve tried making hot sauces over the years but to be honest I just haven’t found many I like more than the chilli itself. 

Can’t get my head around adding bucket loads of vinegar etc to a good tasting pepper. 

54 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Same old Same old for me this year, got 4 baskets of fire going, they look amazing in the flower beds and at the end of the season I cut the chillies off and cut into 4-5 pieces and freeze them, great for adding heat to curry, burgers etc.

Did you get plugs or grow from seed?

I love the taste of chilli's, some are very fruity and fragrant without stupid heat.

It's too hot for me when my throat closes and I think I'm going to choke.

I once tried some Mr Vikkie's in Keswick market, out a good chunk on a bit of cracker said to my wife that's lovely try it, had a good chunk more, I mean a nice big blob on a chunk of cracker. Tasted lush, then the heat started my throat started and I took if for the ice cream shop. Wife was amused and said it's Naga chilli on the jar is it hot. My tongue turned blue like if eaten a child's sweet. 😊 

I've had some home made caravan hot sauce dip that was quite hot but so moreish, I've not tried the reapers yet but will at some point.

10 hours ago, figgy said:

I love the taste of chilli's, some are very fruity and fragrant without stupid heat.

It's too hot for me when my throat closes and I think I'm going to choke.

I once tried some Mr Vikkie's in Keswick market, out a good chunk on a bit of cracker said to my wife that's lovely try it, had a good chunk more, I mean a nice big blob on a chunk of cracker. Tasted lush, then the heat started my throat started and I took if for the ice cream shop. Wife was amused and said it's Naga chilli on the jar is it hot. My tongue turned blue like if eaten a child's sweet. 😊 

I've had some home made caravan hot sauce dip that was quite hot but so moreish, I've not tried the reapers yet but will at some point.

found the best heat killer which knocks the burn out...is pineapple and juice

11 hours ago, Lampwick said:

Disaster with mine, none have  germinated!!

Im going to buy some plants!  

Any thoughts on a good supplier?

Cheers 

Depends what you are after, B&Q often have ornamental types later on in the season. 

They did a good F1 Apache last year.

internet for plugs at this time of year or nursery’s later on! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Didn’t have any germinate so I bought plugs online and got them up a running!! 

They are a bit small but looking healthy.  Fingers crossed. 

I bought these bad boys and a couple of others. 
https://www.worldofchillies.com/recordbreakingchilli/worlds-record-breaking-chilli-plants-morouga-bhut-jolokia-trinidad-scorpion.html

Edited by Lampwick

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Total disaster. Wouldn't germinate. I now think there may have been something Moody in my water sprayer. Ended up,ditching all the compost with the ungerminated seeds into one big pot and threw it in the garden. 10 germinated BUT I have no idea what they are!

next year will be better as wife has just bought a 6x5 green house, heated, lights, power, auto vent. Apparently since I assembled it I may be allowed a corner

• 4 months later...
On 30/01/2021 at 11:28, roadkill said:

So who's taking the plunge this year and growing their own Chilli plants? My plan is to go from seed to sauce and make a nice hot sauce at the end of it. So far I have sown the following 

Piri piri

Cayenne 

Chocolate habanero 

Scotch bonnets 

Curry chilli

Padron peppers 

Yellow bhut jolokia

Fuego 

IMG_20210130_112100_482.jpg

IMG_20210130_112100_522.jpg

IMG_20210130_112100_542.jpg

Are you starting the 2022 thread?