Hexagonal greenhouse

Mungler

We’re looking at pulling a fir tree out that sits in the corner of our back garden and sticking a hexagonal greenhouse in the space (8x8 or 9x9 or thereabouts).

I like the look of the wooden ones and in an ideal world I would go the route of dwarf brick walls and a hardwood frame on top , but it’s a damp corner of the garden, it will be nestled in a corner next to fencing and I can’t but think that the timber will need a lot of maintenance. I’m guessing it’s also pricey.

So, being practical, I’m guessing that the sensible route is something metal framed.

Anyone got any ideas or recommended suppliers? Cheers all.

F922DD5E-19E6-4D94-9180-70A6A79548BD.jpeg

A slight tangent but we have had a hardwood table and chairs in our garden for around 16-17 years that gets an occasional coat of teak oil and is still in pretty good condition. It has sat out on the decking in all weathers including the cold winters of 2010 and 12 with a foot of snow on top and down to -20. Just a thought.

2 minutes ago, henry d said:

A slight tangent but we have had a hardwood table and chairs in our garden for around 16-17 years that gets an occasional coat of teak oil and is still in pretty good condition. It has sat out on the decking in all weathers including the cold winters of 2010 and 12 with a foot of snow on top and down to -20. Just a thought.

Cheers H.

I would like to go the wood route - it will look a lot nicer and it will give local trades a job. 

As you say that the corner is damp I'd be more concerned about if that infers if the greenhouse gets very little sun in the position intended? Corners can be good if they are such that, south facing, they get full sun most of the day but OTOH they can be dark and shady if north facing. Otherwise it is maybe throwing good money away when the structure might be better positioned elsewhere?

Edited by enfieldspares

Good point, but we’ve been here before - different house but same issue.

We put a greenhouse up in a sunny spot and everything just got blasted by the sun. I used the greenhouse whitewash and then ran trellis up one half to grow stuff up and restrict sunlight / scorch.

As long at the greenhouse is well constructed, has power and a sufficient glass in it, that corner will be fine and dandy.

Before you take a chainsaw to it, check there is no TPO on it. Not sure if Fir trees are covered but its worth a check.

Bloke a couple of doors from me when we lived in Chafford Hundred lobbed one down and he got in all sorts of strife with quite a few different groups, council, Forestry commission. Got quite a substantial fine.

I would certainly go for the quarter wall and a cedar wood top. If you give it a good coat of preservative every three or four years it will last forever.  We put in a 'garden room' just a large glazed room where we could keep some attractive plants, orchids  year round but move large containers of geraniums etc., in for the winter. The front is made from hardwood and it gets a coat of quality wood preservative every couple of years .... if we remember....  It has been there for over 20yrs now and is as good as new ..

We just have an electric heater/fan in their set just above freezing which kicks in and keeps it ok during the winter.  It is about 10ft by 25ft floor area.  All of our geraniums are in large pots which we can wheel out every summer and saves buying and replanting.   A garden room is worth it's weight in gold.   I make it clear this is not a 'conservatory'

Edited by Walker570

Something about Cedar Greenhouses that you just cant get with aluminium they generally have a good guarantee normally 10 years,  with treatment they would last a life time, if its a damp corner then probably a dwarf wall would be a good idea, plus bricks will help retain heat. Obviously footing to be dug etc, if you do i would recommend a concrete path inside while your putting in footings. 

We had where i used to live they just look loads nicer and something about the smell. 

2 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Would also recommend using engineering bricks to reduce water uptake in the wall.

Yes, forgot that . A row of blues will also look professional.  Make the wall high enough to accomodate a wide shelf all round to put plants/seedlings on.

Built properly it will also add value.

Hiya

If 'Locals' get wind the tree is going down a TPO doesnt take long to put in place - just saying - seen plenty done to thwart 'development'!

For footings/foundation a 'raft', with reinforcement-mesh, is an option to weigh up. Agree completely with a couple of courses 'engineering bricks' ground level to dpc. Rockwool in any dwarf-wall cavity probably better for thermal efficiency than cavity-batts - cost/benefit analysis.........

Recommend first check is what you can/cant do under 'permitted-development' - you can do a lot more now but size/dimensions and whether considered 'temporary' (read timber-shed) applies to designs/construction narrowed down to - neighbour could not build anything 'substantial' or not considered 'temporary' within Gubbernut rules, within 2m of any boundary, whereas I, albeit 20yrs ago, could go right up to my boundary.................recommend checking with Local Planning Authority to avoid down-tools if questions raised/asked when you start - just saying - been there with a 'good' neighbour!

Enjoy the journey!

L

PS - sorry about the 'book'!

Edited by Loki

If building on a raft all thoughts of planting direct into the soil in the green house will be gone, and you will always have water egress, not that its a problem with a green house mind. I would go the harder more complicated route of footings as per green house foot print and incorporate steel fixing within the footings, then mini wall and then secure the Green house with steel fixings. 

Just read sales details, they erect it for you, easy peasy, ask them what do they recommend. 

Edited by Dougy

2 hours ago, Mungler said:

Cheers chaps.

Some great ideas here.

Edit:

I’ve plumbed for this one, with the aluminium roof add on. Glass top to bottom but sitting on / off 2 courses of engineering bricks.

https://www.woodpecker-joinery.co.uk/round-greenhouses/dagdale-8ft6-x-8ft6.html

That looks great, not letting my wife see it though we've been pondering sunroom extension, veranda, garden room, etc and combinations of them and that might tip her over the edge