Right wind, wrong direction.

JDog

Today was the day when Jacko hosted me on the land I passed over to him. It is over 500 acres of rape in one block. Not easy at the best of times.

The wind was from the East blowing at 20mph and it was very cold. Amazingly I could only see two places where we could set up. Jacko had first dibs and chose a single Ash tree. My choice was to go and see the owner of the only house anywhere near to ask if I could shoot from an Ivy covered Hawthorn hedge around his garden. If he refused I couldn’t see any other options but he readily agreed with one condition, not to shoot any Crows!

There were good numbers of pigeons but with so much choice they could go anywhere. Hide positions were the limiting factor. I estimate that the we saw 600 pigeons or so and between us we shot 27. They were still pouring into our chosen field at 4:15 but in a place we couldn’t have shot from due to the well walked adjoining road.

B8077811-438E-421A-B336-434AD546D572.jpeg

An expectant Spaniel's face peeking around the hide there. I hope you gave him something to do! You wouldn't have ventured out in our neck of the woods today...driving wind & snow all day. Hoping they will get onto the rape around here soon, they are still on acorns & ivy berries & still difficult to pin down. 10's & 15's roost shooting is all we have managed since Xmas. 

Thanks for posting as per usual..always a good read.

Nice report and a photo to match , I did warn you to put some warm clothing on as today was bitterly cold with the strong N / East wind .

Seeing pigeons and getting pigeons off rape don't always come up with the expectations when you see good numbers going on certain fields , as you rightly know , the bigger the area , the harder it become , one consolation is , you did see good numbers of pigeons and 27 is not to be sneezed at .

We had a similar wind in the South of the county ... on Friday on my recce I saw a good flight line of crows flying headwind into the end of a cover strip. It had turned 180 degrees by yesterday morning and I thought I'd be in for some good sport, with them arriving at great pace and turning to land. It ended up being an exciting few hours and I decided at 9 to pack up with 40 down (plus I did treat myself to a high downwind woodie 😁).