Dog kennel security

webb1982

Hello...

After a break of a couple of years away from shooting (kids, divorce) i am looking to get back into it.  Especially the dog side.

So.... I have an outdoor kennel but with the recent spate of thefts can anyone recommend additional security to the kennel apart from padlock and a shed alarm???

Thanks

It's always been to.me that a good visual deterrent works, fit some movement lights up some CCTV you can get a half decent set up cheap these day, as some signage to say cameras operating ect decent fencing around your yard padlock all ladders up so carnt be used by the intruders keep hedges cut back tidy so no one can hide up in them. But there gain what ever you do wont always stop the most determined thief I had mine stolen years ago and had 8ft terrace garden walls all of the way around and good lights but they still managed to get in and steal my plumber dog with out me hearing a thing at night. These days I have my German shepherd living outside 247 and he wont let anyone in with out letting me know

As said if determined they will get them! 

Recent reports of thieves breaking into houses or just pulling up mob handed to people out walking the dogs etc. 

For starters I would try and be discreet so no one knows you’ve got dogs at your place to begin with. Can you make it so passers by cant spot dogs out in the yard etc? 

Then I would make sure I’ve got good flood lights on motion sensors. Being lit up they won’t like. And then a decent alarm on the kennels. I’d be looking for a professional alarm type thing myself but depends how your kennels are built. 

When we move and I get kennels up I think I will try and move away from the wooden smaller kennels and if possible I’ll be looking at a block built kennels or similar type setup. 

Something like a proper building that you can secure. 

A guard dog can be a deterrent for some but for others they can just injure the dog whilst out of reach.  

It really is a sad state of affairs at the moment we have scum going around stealing peoples pets 😞 

Short of locking your dogs in a shipping container every night if the scum bags want your dogs they will get them, I live in a smallish village & we had no crime going back 10yrs ago but now with outsiders moving in it is now a different matter & don’t even dream of trying to protect your property if you encounter a thief or you could end up behind bars. Very sad times.

Edited by blackbird

23 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Short of locking your dogs in a shipping container every night if the scum bags want your dogs they will get them, I live in a smallish village & we had no crime going back 10yrs ago but now with outsiders moving in it is now a different matter & don’t even dream of trying to protect your property if you encounter a thief or you could end up behind bars. Very sad times.

Madness isn’t it! 

I don’t blame the Police they are very under staffed and resources for so much crime but they’ve made it illegal for people to defend their own but then they aren’t up to the job!!

Thanks for the replies, we are at the end of a cul-de-sac and will keep the kennel below fence level 

I have thought about using some of the double garage how much space would you give per dog?

Problem is I'd need to knock a hole for a window.

It's sad when you have to tell your mrs she can't walk the dog on her own for fear of being attacked 

Kennels are locked alarmed, cctv'd and out of site, but anyone wanting to be in will just be balaclava d up anyway. If someone see's you out they just follow your vehicle home . And during a power cut, most of the above would be useless SO one of my best deterrents a little yappy jack russel. She hates people and any noise and she fires up. Also if your only having one dog, it would keep it company, costs next to nothing to feed and they never need a vet. And very shortly when we're out of this pandemic i think rescue kennels will be about full of them.

2 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

The best thing to do if you can is keep your dogs in the house rather than a kennel. 

Plenty of houses are being broken into at the moment and dogs taken. 

Heard recently 3 blokes knocked on the door, beat the man up and took his dogs from in his house. 

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Plenty of houses are being broken into at the moment and dogs taken. 

Heard recently 3 blokes knocked on the door, beat the man up and took his dogs from in his house. 

Yep I've heard of this type of robbery also, but if you can, why make it easy for them. There's no doubt it's easier and more common for dogs left in gardens or kennels to be nicked and is a much less serious offence for the offenders, theft is max of 7 years, although I think you'd be lucky to see them do any time if they pinched the dog from a garden. Burglary carries a 14y sentence, which could technically apply to a kennel but I think you'd struggle. And a violent robbery like you described can carry up to life depending on the circumstances, although I'm sure our weak system wouldn't give that, but they would be looking at serious time and far higher chance of capture, I know where I'll be keeping my dogs. 

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

We find that floodlights, a damned good padlock, CCTV, 12’ high kennel panels and a huge black GSD works, especially if nobody knows you have it 👍👍

I have suggested to the mrs a god would do the job, had one years age he was a great dog

Plus the ex mother in law was scared of him!! 

5 hours ago, 243deer said:

Unfortunately if this happened tonight, the $%%^&&&, if caught, would probably claim you were shooting at them as they are certainly not above telling porkies. Cue instant loss of guns and the police also seizing your devices and finding you have written this comment which leaves you with no real defence and you are than an easy target for not getting your guns back and possible prosecution. 

I think most folk on here would prefer that we had an absolute right to protect our property on our own property by any means we see fit, very sadly that is not the case.

You've said that a lot better than me but is the point I was trying to make, I'm certainly not sticking up for dog thieves. In my eyes they are the lowest of the low, I'd happily see them locked up for life, literally.