Edwinson and Green, SXS 12g side plate. Advice needed

robmiller

Are you sure that it`s a sideplate and not a sidelock that you`re after details of ?

As said above, they were manufacturers of quality guns, but sidelocks and boxlocks, not sideplated boxlocks, unlike Cogswell & Harrison who were renowned for their sideplated guns.

OB

I remember the shop in Cheltenham up to the 1970s, though by then they sold mainly tools, hardware and a few air rifles etc.

The business made fine guns and in fact Purdey partially copied Edwinson Green's o/u design for their first o/u guns - but the design, whilst immensely strong was complex and heavy.  When Purdey bought out James Woodward they moved to the Woodward design - which they still make on the top o/u model (though their 'sporter' models are Peruginni and Vishini based)

Articles here https://www.gunsonpegs.com/articles/guns/purdeys-first-over-under-the-real-story

https://www.hortonguns.com/?p=169

Edwinson Green guns are well regarded, though how much was by them 'in house' and how much 'Birmingham' made I cannot say.

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Are you sure that it`s a sideplate and not a sidelock that you`re after details of ?

As said above, they were manufacturers of quality guns, but sidelocks and boxlocks, not sideplated boxlocks, unlike Cogswell & Harrison who were renowned for their sideplated guns.

OB

Hi: 

Am looking to potentially do something with this. Just trying to gather info.

A17B5488-FD72-45F0-AD2F-486FA855DA83.jpeg

On 31/01/2021 at 15:05, JohnfromUK said:

Edwinson Green guns are well regarded, though how much was by them 'in house' and how much 'Birmingham' made I cannot say.

So true of most in that era. William Evans guns were pretty much all made by Webley (I've seen the Webley daybooks and registers) and on neraly every page there are Evans guns.

From my reading Edwinson Green were Birmingham based gunmakers from late 1800's to the 1940's. They also had a shop in Cheltenham... a quality tool and diy store. Extremely clever chaps. Quality gunmakers. I currently am working on one of their 3 barrelled 20 bores. It has a single trigger and ejectors. All that modern technology in 1915!!

A lot of them were made for the trade. Lancaster and Westley Richards come to mind. 

Their o/u's are very collectible.

22 minutes ago, Fil said:

They also had a shop in Cheltenham... a quality tool and diy store.

I remember the shop from when I was a teenager (circa 1970s).  From distant memory, it was a slighlty 'seedy' run down shop by then with an elderly proprietor (who I don't believe was a Green, but I might be wrong).  They sold quality tools (Moore and Wright, Marples etc - who then were expensive Sheffield made instruments), Sheffield good grade penknives etc.  I don't remember what else they sold, but it tended to be 'old fashioned' when shops like Halfords (a few doors away if memory is right) were offering Japanese stuff much cheaper.  The old man could also be a bit grumpy (but maybe he didn't like scruffy teenagers!).  I think they had a few air rifles etc as well.  Can't remember what I bought there (if anything).

Lewis Potter may have the records.

On 03/02/2021 at 10:42, robmiller said:

No I believe renewed case hardened but in v good condition. Had some refurbishment done prior to me acquiring. I need to give up some shooting for reasons so hope to find it a new home.

Are you selling the 425? May have a friend interested if so