Just one of those days

Rob85

So I decided I would try to get out early yesterday for the last day of the season and try for a duck as I had seen then coming into the bottom of my closest permission last time I was out.

So not a duck to be seen but there is a nicely established flightline and there were plenty of pigeons flighting over and crows galore so I moved position closer to the flightline and was hoping for at least a handful of pigeons considering the strength of the wind and how the bird were flying into it.

Wasn't to be sadly, what seemed like simple crossers... I missed every single one, my shooting was so abysmal I was nearly for breaking the damn gun over my knee, but it wasn't the guns fault, was the goof pulling the triggers. I'll be chalking this one down to just having a bad day. It's amazing how your shooting goes from bad to downright kack when you get flustered and frustrated. Time for some reading up on flightlines tactics!

2 hours ago, kenholland said:

were you rushing your shots, not enough lead, too much clothing on , too cold anyway , we have all been there.

Likely too much lead, the birds at times seemed like they were hovering in the wind, slightest tip of the wing and they were gone. I think I was maybe guilty of being too slow in my shots and poorly judging the range of shootable birds but I wanted them closer....for what reason I don't know as I was shooting steel shot from a half and very full choked gun. When I got home I was wishing I had brought out the side by side rather than the over under

I experienced similar the other day, 15 shots in for first bird. Still rifle shooting, poor inconsistent gun mount, not relaxing and not fully concentrating on the bird. Some quite satisfying birds downed once all these things sorted though.

After shooting shotgun I always have a plink with the air rifle in the garden before going deer stalking as so easy to 'pull' the trigger and the shot.

43 minutes ago, Ian willetts said:

Put it down to bad day at the field next time don’t try so hard we all had days like that keep getting out and enjoying the country side 

What I'm really taking from this poor experience is that now the ducks/game season is over...for northern ireland anyway... I've figured out the main pigeon flightlines over the permission, it's a small piece of ground but right across the road from the roosting wood(national trust owned ground) of a substantial amount of pigeons, so maybe I'll look into getting some lofting poles sorted and some new hide poles organised 

15 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Likely too much lead, the birds at times seemed like they were hovering in the wind, slightest tip of the wing and they were gone. I think I was maybe guilty of being too slow in my shots and poorly judging the range of shootable birds but I wanted them closer....for what reason I don't know as I was shooting steel shot from a half and very full choked gun. When I got home I was wishing I had brought out the side by side rather than the over under

We all have days like that! I thought it was advised we shouldn't use more than 1/2 choke with steel? Next time out will be better. Stay safe.

13 hours ago, Ian willetts said:

Y the expense of lofting poles a decent decoy pattern and may be a magnet or bouncers for some movement they are hitting the rape and also I have seen a good few on grass 

Well the ground is grass, I've never thought of trying to decoy them on the grass, was thinking more of lofting a couple and having a few set up on some blown down branches on the ground to see how it goes.

5 minutes ago, HIDENSEEK said:

We all have days like that! I thought it was advised we shouldn't use more than 1/2 choke with steel? Next time out will be better. Stay safe.

Depends who you speak to on the matter of the chokes really, with standard steel I was under the impression that any choke was fair game, have to say the barrel walls on the sarasketa that I'm shooting are pretty hefty.

Here's to better days ahead!