Ammo collectables

Afternoon all, I used to collect a lot of inert ammo and cases but gave up a while back and sold the collection. Recently I came across a few leftovers. I found a site (quickfire auctions) dedicated to selling inert ordnance and inert ammo and started to list a few items. One in particular seemed to do very well when without warning or explanation it was removed and my account deleted??. 

The round in question that was taken off was a spent small caliber blank. On checking guidelines it looks like all blanks under 1" are completely un regulated by law. Without wanting to get in to trouble, does anyone know of any caliber or blank that would deem to be prohibited by law or was it down to a glitch in my registration on their site?? The last thing I want to do is to be in trouble for having an item that would get me in to trouble, I would rather hand them in of course. I did email the auction site and ask for an explanation but I've been blanked (pardon the punn) 

On 31/01/2021 at 16:10, foxbasher said:

Afternoon all, I used to collect a lot of inert ammo and cases but gave up a while back and sold the collection. Recently I came across a few leftovers. I found a site (quickfire auctions) dedicated to selling inert ordnance and inert ammo and started to list a few items. One in particular seemed to do very well when without warning or explanation it was removed and my account deleted??. 

The round in question that was taken off was a spent small caliber blank. On checking guidelines it looks like all blanks under 1" are completely un regulated by law. Without wanting to get in to trouble, does anyone know of any caliber or blank that would deem to be prohibited by law or was it down to a glitch in my registration on their site?? The last thing I want to do is to be in trouble for having an item that would get me in to trouble, I would rather hand them in of course. I did email the auction site and ask for an explanation but I've been blanked (pardon the punn) 

Maybe email your local Firearm Licensing Manager?  Keep the reply.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. All

I am a new member to this forum

I have been collecting shotgun cartridges amongst the many types of militaria in my collection for longer than I like to admit, if my memory serves me correctly, I went to school with the well know writer and pigeon expert Peter Theobald.

These days I am primarily a target rifle and muzzle loading pistol shooter and of course a collector.

I thought that this selection might interest some of you.

The Flintlock 24 bore with 34" Damascus barrels double shotgun made around 1780 by Henry Nock, London.

And a very small selection of my cartridge collection, from a puntgun to .22 shotgun including many obsolete calibres and just about every type in between including pinfire, rimfire centre fire etc. etc. 

Henry Nock 24  Bore shotgun.JPG

Henry Nock 24 Bore shotgun 22.JPG

Henry Nock 24 Bore shotgun 23.JPG

Henry Nock 24 Bore shotgun 24.JPG

A small sample.jpg

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

The flintlock looks in nice condition. Do you ever shoot it?

Hi. London Best

I have never shot it as it would mean that I would i have to put it on my shotgun certificate, having a miss trust of old guns I would have it reproved before I would fire it.

Please see attached photograph of a Martini henry rifle I wanted to use which appeared to have a perfect bore and barrel, the gunsmith checked it a couldn't find anything wrong with it and was going to test fire it, I stopped him doing so and told him to sent it to be re proofed, which after much moaning he did just as I requested.

I think he is glad he took notice of my and sent it for re proof when you take a look at the photographs, I wonder what damage he would have sustained to his hand, the forend was blown to bits!!!! 

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

15 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Welcome 👍

Thanks for sharing the pictures, do you collect anything in particular cartridge wise? 

Hi. Farmboy91

I only collect shotgun cartridges of whatever legal type I can own with a SGC, most of the collection I have has been accumulated over the last fifty years, most of them have been given to me by friends and family and a local gunsmith has given me quite a few interesting ones, I cannot remember ever buying one specifically to add to my collection, although I have added a cartridge from a box I have purchased if I didn’t remember having one of that sort.  

Although I also shoot muzzle loading pistols, and target rifles and I reload my own ammunition, I do not collect rifle or pistol ammunition or have any interest of doing so in the future.

There is no comparison between the selection of these cartridges’ shotgun cartridges are colourful and the huge range of gunmakers, hardware shops, agricultural merchants and engineers who had their names and location printed on the cartridge cases and boxes is almost infinite, the majority of rifle and pistol are pretty much the same being made if brass, just size and head stamps being different and are in the main rimfire and centrefire.

Regards Fronteria

22 hours ago, London Best said:

Ooh, nasty!

Hi. London Best

If anyone wants to take the risk that I choose not too, good luck to them, not only do you lose a valuable antique gun, but also the possibility of a limb or two as well if it fails while you are using it.

Sending and valuable antique gun for re-proof carries the risk it could fail proof and be wrecked, but at least you don't risk serious injury.

The Martini Henry in the photographs was worth a few quid, but I valued my hand a lot more.

Regards Fronteria.

28 minutes ago, Fronteria said:

Hi. Farmboy91

I only collect shotgun cartridges of whatever legal type I can own with a SGC, most of the collection I have has been accumulated over the last fifty years, most of them have been given to me by friends and family and a local gunsmith has given me quite a few interesting ones, I cannot remember ever buying one specifically to add to my collection, although I have added a cartridge from a box I have purchased if I didn’t remember having one of that sort.  

Although I also shoot muzzle loading pistols, and target rifles and I reload my own ammunition, I do not collect rifle or pistol ammunition or have any interest of doing so in the future.

There is no comparison between the selection of these cartridges’ shotgun cartridges are colourful and the huge range of gunmakers, hardware shops, agricultural merchants and engineers who had their names and location printed on the cartridge cases and boxes is almost infinite, the majority of rifle and pistol are pretty much the same being made if brass, just size and head stamps being different and are in the main rimfire and centrefire.

Regards Fronteria

Thanks for your reply,

You have pm 👍

• 2 weeks later...