Chainsaw advice

Morkin

Had both sold both. Now run bigger stuff. But, if I had to buy that small again, and forced out of the 2, I'd get the 181 and it's a easy choice. That 135 whilst it revd nice, the chain tensioner was junk and you could see it starting to deform/break. I'm surprised it was allowed out of factory like that. Luckily I was given it with only 1 tank though it, they thought it was ****. 

I had a 181 when doing home logging and hedge felling and it lasted about 5 years of abuse before I killed it. Not bad. 

If I could offer advice without going down the pro range but it's a few quid more, get the ms211. It's not a 261, but running a little 14 inch bar on it I quite enjoy using it as it so light. 

I have one of the original ST 170s and it has had a lot of work almost 29 tons of oak cut up / logged this last year.  I did upgrade with a 14 inch bar and a proper chain which trasformed it.  So I would go for the up to date version.    With the 14 inch bar it will happily deal with the same diameter oak logs if you have a sharp chain and that is the clue with all chain saws. Keep them sharp.  I run three chains for all four of my saws so if in the field I accidentally catch a stone or something I can just swop a chain over to save time, then take my time to bring them all back up to 100% in the workshop.

Edited by Walker570

Some folks think the bigger the bar the better but it's the reverse as obviously the shorter the faster. When I was feller we all ways preferred a nice little 13 inch bar at least if you wanted to work fast. There was few trees you couldnt manage with 13 inch. It was slightly more dangerous as such a short bar hanging off a big old husky was quite lively and more prone to kick back. But like walker said the main thing is keep it sharp 

Edited by captainhastings

Me and the neighbour both have husky 135's and they have been great for the last 7 years. Used for cutting up firewood before splitting and also felling trees. Mine has been abused quite regularly but doesn't complain and is still going strong. Brother in law is a tree surgeon and he has one also and rates it for smaller jobs. 

23 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Battery saw? Toying with this idea for my next chainsaw... (Not for big felling, more processing logs etc.)

Yes, one of those seems very attractive for those times when you just need a chain saw and would fit nicely in my Landie with a spare battery for those occasions when a tree is across the woodland ride etc etc.   AND almost silent.

Bought the stihl battery on a few months back and although it's not done a lot I've been very please with it.

20 odd 4x4 fence posts, 20 odd 8x2 rafter tails, a few 2-3" shrubs and some odd bits and pieces.

Still on the 1st battery charge. Very quiet and easy to handle.

Under £200 with extra battery, chain oil and a spare chain. Bargain.

Edd

1 hour ago, eddoakley said:

Bought the stihl battery on a few months back and although it's not done a lot I've been very please with it.

20 odd 4x4 fence posts, 20 odd 8x2 rafter tails, a few 2-3" shrubs and some odd bits and pieces.

Still on the 1st battery charge. Very quiet and easy to handle.

Edd

You do realise you have cost me at least £200 don't you:yes::/

I may sound like a Luddite but I purchased a 40v Aldi chain saw, light easy to use and at £50 quid what is there not to like. It will comfortably deal with 200mm limbs. As Walker 570 said keep it sharp. I already had the Active battery which works with circular saw, reciprocating saw, multi-tool, SDS drill. Very good value for the money.

1 hour ago, eddoakley said:

Which model is that? If it's the MSA120 that's a very good price. It's usually around £220ish inc VAT for the saw, battery and charger.

I've had mine now for a couple of years and it's been great. Not as powerful as the 170 but very useful for small jobs. Mines done a large amount of work and still goes well.

• 3 months later...
On 31/01/2021 at 17:08, Morkin said:

Hello all ,I have found old advice but nothing recent could you advice on chainsaw for smaller cutting ie still or husky 12_14 inch bar I'm leaning towards still 181 or 180 or the husky 135 any advice from you PW would be good Thank all.Keep well and safe.

If your budget allows it and your not doing anything heavy or cutting big stuff how about the sthil ms 140 battery powered 10 inch chainsaw

I bought one just before Christmas and its a fantastic piece of kit I use mine more than my Petrol saws now they are light no noise no pulling a pull cord no fumes brilliant and they cut a hell of a lot faster than my Petrol saws 

I always dismissed them as toys but I was very wrong admittely they have there limititions but for firewood they are ideal I have 40 years experience using saws in my line of work they have been a revelation 

Edited by hafod

• 2 weeks later...