Summer holidays in UK

AVB

As it looks like overseas holidays this year won’t happen I need to start looking at contingency plans in the UK. I don’t fancy Devon/Cornwall/Dorset and have never really been to Wales so thinking about there. Any suggestions for a luxury hotel that is relatively close to good beach and other attractions. What areas in particular should I be looking at? Any suggestions for other areas? 

Cheers 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, AVB said:

As it looks like overseas holidays this year won’t happen I need to start looking at contingency plans in the UK. I don’t fancy Devon/Cornwall/Dorset and have never really been to Wales so thinking about there. Any suggestions for a luxury hotel that is relatively close to good beach and other attractions. What areas in particular should I be looking at? Any suggestions for other areas? 

Cheers 

I would try and book a holiday cottage or similar if you fancy that, there are some stunning spots down there.

The only issue with UK holiday places is they seem to be very expensive. 

26 minutes ago, AVB said:

Cheers 

Mablethorpe and Skegness, then have a few nights out in Cleethorpes and Grimsby. 😂😂😂😂😂

40 minutes ago, AVB said:

Cheers 

If you fancy Wales Google( Ty Dolffin ) it’s in Cardigan but don’t forget your coat it is Wales.

Edited by blackbird

Try Tenby, you've got Saundersfoot about 5mins away, which I actually prefer, short drive to imo the best beach in the UK at Barafundle Bay, cracking coast lines all the way up to St David's then up to Cardigan. All easily drivable as the roads are tidy and not potholed junk like this side of the border 😅

If you want absolutely stunning scenery, head to anywhere North of Dolgellau, you'll find little gems everywhere that'll make you want to get out the car and explore 

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I would try and book a holiday cottage or similar if you fancy that, there are some stunning spots down there.

The only issue with UK holiday places is they seem to be very expensive. 

The problem with holiday cottages is that 1) they are rather hit and miss and it is hard to guarantee quality without recommendation and 2) the wife doesn't class it as a holiday if you have to make your own bed and provide breakfast. 

Edited by AVB
Spelling

39 minutes ago, henry d said:

Fairmont hotel St Andrews, half mile from St Andrews and 4 from Kingsbarns beaches, stunning

I’d go along with that, a few really excellent restaurants not far away, a brand new distillery just down the road where you can make your own gin, Tentsmuir beach within 15 mins drive.

43 minutes ago, grrclark said:

I’d go along with that, a few really excellent restaurants not far away, a brand new distillery just down the road where you can make your own gin, Tentsmuir beach within 15 mins drive.

Hadn’t really thought of Scotland. Stayed at Crief a few times when children were younger. Probably more choice of hotels as well - Gleneagles etc. Having just watched the first series of Outlander I fancy seeing a bit of the Highlands. 

3 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

Another vote for Tenby and Saundersfoot.

St Brides overlooking Saundersfoot may fit the bill.

Plenty of places within short travels then.

Edd

Just goes to show what I know. I assumed South Wales was all industrial - oil refineries, foundries etc. 

7 hours ago, AVB said:

The problem with holiday cottages is that 1) they are rather hit and miss and it is hard to guarantee quality without recommendation and 2) the wife doesn't class it as a holiday if you have to make your own bed and provide breakfast. 

Fair enough :) let us know how you get on! Would love to spend more time holidaying in the U.K. 

Going to try and check out the Lake District and Scotland in future with the Mrs and dogs :) 

6 hours ago, AVB said:

Just goes to show what I know. I assumed South Wales was all industrial - oil refineries, foundries etc. 

No South Wales is a very good mix, the Gower is lovely. Its the best kept secret holiday destination because most people think like you  

You don't need Michelin starred restaurants when you have Taffy's Cafe  in Mountain Ash

Edited by Vince Green

11 hours ago, AVB said:

Fancy a holiday not being a holiday during a pandemic if you have to make your own bed.....

For us it’s about family time away from home enjoying the countryside, weather and children.  I’d also far prefer to be self contained after what has and will still be going on.  We’ve just booked our usual 2 weeks down in Padstow, cycling, fishing dog walks and time on the beach will all be on the agenda well away from work and home.  Last year was good despite the pandemic

8 hours ago, AVB said:

Hadn’t really thought of Scotland. Stayed at Crief a few times when children were younger. Probably more choice of hotels as well - Gleneagles etc. Having just watched the first series of Outlander I fancy seeing a bit of the Highlands. 

Have a look at the fife arms in Braemar.