Summer holidays in UK

AVB

2 hours ago, AVB said:

I’ve still got flights booked to Mauritius in July and Portugal in August but I reckon only 50/50 chance and decreasing. France more likely but not much more. 

This is the thing. Doubt any airlines or travel insurance companies will be keen to refund in the event of Corona outbreak or cancelled travel for other Corona related reasons. Hmm.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, sandspider said:

This is the thing. Doubt any airlines or travel insurance companies will be keen to refund in the event of Corona outbreak or cancelled travel for other Corona related reasons. Hmm.

Fortunately I've got flexible tickets. Haven’t booked hotel in Mauritius yet but that won’t be a problem. Portugal is the MIL‘s place so flexible. 

I was discussing with the family today and debating whether, if travel was permitted, whether we would fly. The resounding answer was yes. 

10 hours ago, blackbird said:

I spent a few nights in Brixham many years ago it was very very nice but Paignton up the road is a bit of a dump.

We had a few nights down there last September and had a few mackerel dinners, the town gets busy with a lots of people and there yappy dogs, but we don't spend that much time in town.

8 hours ago, AVB said:

Fortunately I've got flexible tickets. Haven’t booked hotel in Mauritius yet but that won’t be a problem. Portugal is the MIL‘s place so flexible. 

I was discussing with the family today and debating whether, if travel was permitted, whether we would fly. The resounding answer was yes. 

Good man, keep me in a job 👍🏻

44 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Have you moved across to private jets now? 

Gulfstreams are so cool!

Gulfstreams have always been cool as they are on the Polar side of a depression.

Also great for shortening routes, unless you going the other way.

Not so great for turbulence though.

If you mean the Aircraft type then yes, rather nice but I’ve flown semi corporate type stuff before and the non scheduled nature is almost as tiring as what I do. 

22 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Gulfstreams have always been cool as they are on the Polar side of a depression.

If you mean the Aircraft type then yes, rather nice but I’ve flown semi corporate type stuff before and the non scheduled nature is almost as tiring as what I do. 

Ha ha. The only private jets I have been on have been corporate. Normally owned by loss making Banks with big ego CEO’s. Nothing better than sitting in a plane, drinking champagne thinking how on earth can we afford this (we can’t). 

On 31/01/2021 at 19:14, AVB said:

The problem with holiday cottages is that 1) they are rather hit and miss and it is hard to guarantee quality without recommendation and 2) the wife doesn't class it as a holiday if you have to make your own bed and provide breakfast. 

Ditto the wife here.

For the last year I have worked the whole way through with no time off beyond weekends. I’m feeling tired and stale now like no other time in my life and am looking at holidays - and it looks like ‘nothing doing’.

And yes, if you book for the UK you will spend 3 times the amount of money for half the holiday you could have had in a much better climate. Indeed, I was looking at the new rules most hotels have in place and it looks like the very life has been sucked out of any possible GB holiday.

7 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Ditto the wife here.

For the last year I have worked the whole way through with no time off beyond weekends. I’m feeling tired and stale now like no other time in my life and am looking at holidays - and it looks like ‘nothing doing’.

And yes, if you book for the UK you will spend 3 times the amount of money for half the holiday you could have had in a much better climate. Indeed, I was looking at the new rules most hotels have in place and it looks like the very life has been sucked out of any possible GB holiday.

Blackbird recommended a hotel in Wales - Celtic Manor. A decent one but not the best in the UK by a long shot. I enquired and it was £9K for a week B&B. Also looked at the Four Seasons in Hampshire - That was £11K for B&B. 

1 minute ago, AVB said:

Blackbird recommended a hotel in Wales - Celtic Manor. A decent one but not the best in the UK by a long shot. I enquired and it was £9K for a week B&B. Also looked at the Four Seasons in Hampshire - That was £11K for B&B. 

The accountant in me refuses to pay that. And it could rain solid the week you book.

18 minutes ago, AVB said:

£9,000 and £11,000 for a week?!!! 

13 minutes ago, AVB said:

The tight**** in me refuses to pay that. 

I’m not sure anyone could have the cheeky to call you tight for refusing to pay that!! 

There’d be some concerns about your mental state if you did pay it mind!! 

30 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Ditto the wife here.

Roughly around this time last year the partner and I had a weeks stay in a 5 Star adults only hotel in Cyprus for about £500 each. 

Weather was stunning all week. Local food was cheap and excellent. 

I can’t see how anyone holidaying in the U.K. could either afford the prices of a decent experience or how they could consider the potential huge drop in experience as a holiday! 🤷‍♂️

On 31/01/2021 at 23:21, AVB said:

Just goes to show what I know. I assumed South Wales was all industrial - oil refineries, foundries etc. 

While we may have the odd refinery, we also have 146 miles of pembrokeshire coast line that is a National Park, you can choose from crowded Tenby, to secluded walks and coves where there is a good chance you will be the only ones there.
Stunnng scenery wherever you go.
And if you want to have a go at surfing, then we have some very good surf beaches.
https://youtu.be/qOjgvyUAkGA

Oh and castles, we have loads of castles.

porth 2 nw.png

porth 1 nw.png

sunday stroll 1 6 9 20.jpg

pic1-17.jpg

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

The Cessna Citation was great for getting around the US a few years ago, but I really prefer the 146, much more class.

7 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

While we may have the odd refinery, we also have 146 miles of pembrokeshire coast line that is a National Park, you can choose from crowded Tenby, to secluded walks and coves where there is a good chance you will be the only ones there.
Stunnng scenery wherever you go.
And if you want to have a go at surfing, then we have some very good surf beaches.
https://youtu.be/qOjgvyUAkGA

Oh and castles, we have loads of castles.

porth 2 nw.png

porth 1 nw.png

sunday stroll 1 6 9 20.jpg

pic1-17.jpg

That brings back memories when you took those photos it was Friday May 24th 2012 shows I remember the date it was dry. 😂

Edited by blackbird

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

That brings back memories when you took those photos it was Friday May 24th 2012 shows I remember the date it was dry. 😂

Lol, while we do get a bit of rain but because of the coastal location the weather is usually mild, i haven't seen any snow yet while the rest of the country seems to be having loads of it.

1 hour ago, welsh1 said:

Lol, while we do get a bit of rain but because of the coastal location the weather is usually mild, i haven't seen any snow yet while the rest of the country seems to be having loads of it.

Bit of rain 😂 that’s a bit of an understatement 😂 the dragon on our flag should have wellingtons on 😂

Edited by blackbird

16 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

£9,000 and £11,000 for a week?!!! 

I’m not sure anyone could have the cheeky to call you tight for refusing to pay that!! 

There’d be some concerns about your mental state if you did pay it mind!! 

Roughly around this time last year the partner and I had a weeks stay in a 5 Star adults only hotel in Cyprus for about £500 each. 

Weather was stunning all week. Local food was cheap and excellent. 

I can’t see how anyone holidaying in the U.K. could either afford the prices of a decent experience or how they could consider the potential huge drop in experience as a holiday! 🤷‍♂️

I don’t mind blowing serious money on a holiday as it is one of my few vices. But it’s got to be top notch and value for money and a week in the UK will never be that. 

Our ‘go to’ destination in normal times is the One and Only Le Saint Geran hotel in Mauritius. IMO you wont find better service and weather and if you go off peak (July/August is off peak as it is their winter) it is great value. Some would say expensive but I don’t think it can be beaten for quality/service/weather/food etc.  Plus we’ve been so many times (which I know some people don’t like) that we get treated like family. 

I always cringe when I see ‘adults only’. I know what it really means but the kid in me immediately thinks of one big swinging holiday!  

1 minute ago, AVB said:

I don’t mind blowing serious money on a holiday as it is one of my few vices. But it’s got to be top notch and value for money and a week in the UK will never be that.  

Hmm..don't agree.

Assuming lockdown is over

Buy latest Michelin guide plus good Scottish walks guide or join Walkingworld ( https://walkingworld.co.uk/ )and print off local walks.

Fly to Edinburgh. Biz class.

Book 5* Hotel Stay in Edinburgh 3 / 4 days. Eat at The Kitchen and Martin Wisharts.

Hire something substantial. Range Rover / S Class / Bentley Continental but big enough for all normal luggage PLUS all walking gear.

Drive to Gleneagles. Stay 2 / 3 days.

Drive to Inverness. 5* Hotel. Eat at The Mustard Seed and Rocpool

Drive to t'other side to 5* Hotel on Skye. Eat at any of the Michelin restaurants there but especially those on the North West coast.

Drive to Ayr. 5* Hotel. Eat at Braidwoods

Return Glasgow - London Biz class

Get home. Hide the bathroom scales if you ate more than you walked.

6 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

Hmm..don't agree.

Assuming lockdown is over

Buy latest Michelin guide plus good Scottish walks guide or join Walkingworld ( https://walkingworld.co.uk/ )and print off local walks.

Fly to Edinburgh. Biz class.

Book 5* Hotel Stay in Edinburgh 3 / 4 days. Eat at The Kitchen and Martin Wisharts.

Hire something substantial. Range Rover / S Class / Bentley Continental but big enough for all normal luggage PLUS all walking gear.

Drive to Gleneagles. Stay 2 / 3 days.

Drive to Inverness. 5* Hotel. Eat at The Mustard Seed and Rocpool

Drive to t'other side to 5* Hotel on Skye. Eat at any of the Michelin restaurants there but especially those on the North West coast.

Drive to Ayr. 5* Hotel. Eat at Braidwoods

Return Glasgow - London Biz class

Get home. Hide the bathroom scales if you ate more than you walked.

I’ll price that up and I reckon it will come close to two weeks in Mauritius inc. business class flights!

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I reckon you should go as his guide and driver!

I am considering seeing more of Scotland. I watched the first series of Outlander (is there a more gory TV series?) over the past few weeks and the scenery is stunning. But you need a guide to make the most of it I reckon. 

59 minutes ago, AVB said:

Our ‘go to’ destination in normal times is the One and Only Le Saint Geran hotel in Mauritius. IMO you wont find better service and weather and if you go off peak (July/August is off peak as it is their winter) it is great value. Some would say expensive but I don’t think it can be beaten for quality/service/weather/food etc.  Plus we’ve been so many times (which I know some people don’t like) that we get treated like family. 

I always cringe when I see ‘adults only’. I know what it really means but the kid in me immediately thinks of one big swinging holiday!  

When my family holidayed in Mauritius it was scorching hot! 

Too much for the majority of us in the family who are ginger 🤣

Most amazing seafood you will ever have though. Prawns the size of lobsters! 

Also found the locals brilliant and very friendly when we went.