Summer holidays in UK

AVB

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, figgy said:

Northumberland is lovely and unspoilt. Close enough for trip over the border to Edinburgh. Holy Island the Farne Islands. 

Lots to see and will have some nice hotels. 

Good call! We stopped at St Aidan's hotel and bistro in Seahorses last year and had a room that looked out over the Farne Islands and the dining room also looked out that way and up the coast to Bamburgh castle, stunning views for breakfast and dinner and a double sided log burner too. Half an hour to Holy island and loads of beaches to explore. Their website shows which rooms face out to sea.

I have booked a boat close to Athens for a couple of weeks in July  hoping things are sorted by then. 

12 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Sandbanks hotel is very good

I have a place in Cornwall so well set up for the summer. Just joined the yacht club in Fowey so hope to do some sailing this year

Very nice. 🙂 I keep my boat on the Exe and plan to sail down to Falmouth as our turn around point (5 days). Have you tried Idle Rocks Hotel at St Mawes? It's to die for. 

Edited by oowee

35 minutes ago, oowee said:

I have booked a boat close to Athens for a couple of weeks in July  hoping things are sorted by then. 

Very nice. 🙂 I keep my boat on the Exe and plan to sail down to Falmouth as our turn around point (5 days). Have you tried Idle Rocks Hotel at St Mawes? It's to die for. 

No but funnily enough we were reading the menu outside on the wall last summer and saying we really ought to try it one evening for a meal

One of our favourites for lunch is the Heron just up the river from there

We were thinking of doing a variant of the Scottish 500; just setting off and stopping where and when we please. 
Our usual trip ( Venice ) is out this year Covid or no, as we now have two dogs. 
There are a lot of places I haven’t yet seen in the UK, so will spend our money in this country for this year at least. 

Booked North Wales, Devon, Dorset and Cornwall in 2020. Had to cancel the lot, but booked same weeks, same place for 2021 - Wales and Cornwall. The Wales holiday - just cancelled for 2021. Hoping Cornwall in May is still on. Booked Norfolk in July, but considering booking now for holidays late summer, which we can always cancel. 

I prefer the South West, but each to his own. Tenby and Saundersfoot are well worth the trio. Northumberland equally good. Had some decent breaks on the East Coast of Scotland - better than the West Coast for me.

18 hours ago, AVB said:

Hadn’t really thought of Scotland. Stayed at Crief a few times when children were younger. Probably more choice of hotels as well - Gleneagles etc. Having just watched the first series of Outlander I fancy seeing a bit of the Highlands. 

The Isle of Harris is attractive, mostly self catering though [some are very posh/expensive]

isle-of-harris1.jpg.60e0ffdc7411f2fe4e086fdbd41de19e.jpg

broch.jpg.7506de95ba3e3d296aac0cfc7c9a4620.jpg

13 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, back in the olden days they thought gudgeon was a delicacy , I only know the polish eat roach, 

Back in the day , I used to bring a mate , gudgeon,  eels,  and pike . I'd also bring a few perch for another mates wife. That was back in the days when everywhere was stuffed with fish , you couldn't even imagine doing it these days.

Don't no longer have holidays as I enjoy days out in our area and get back home to go into our own bed , apart from a holiday in the states , all the rest have been in the U K , our last two holidays were in Wales and Scotland and  no disrespect to Wales , I enjoyed Scotland far more than Wales .

We didn't plan anything and stopped in b+b wherever we got to around tea time , I remember the first place we stopped was a place on the west coast called Salt coats ? , then we moved on to the Lochs , another place we stopped was at Grantown , all lovely places with friendly people to match , we kept going north and ended up in Inverness , again lovely people , we then came down to Creiff to go to the C L A Game Fair before we made the long journey back , all in all a really enjoyable week , only downside was a lot of driving but Scotland was everything I expected it be and possibly more than I expected .

22 hours ago, AVB said:

Hadn’t really thought of Scotland. Stayed at Crief a few times when children were younger. Probably more choice of hotels as well - Gleneagles etc. Having just watched the first series of Outlander I fancy seeing a bit of the Highlands. 

If you are interested i'd be happy to help you work out some options, but rural Perthshire and Gleneagles would be an awesome place to start.

north york moors listening the grouse bed down    pickering steam rally  a three day event worth a visit        steam train from Pickering to Whitby   a doggies danglies meal at the magbpie in whitby  or others   outstanding    some deep sea fishing  for nout                           or east kirkby  linconshire   air show  about end august   words canot say lancaster taxy  spit fire  huricane dog fight     loolk to their website  i cant copy   other than that                      norfolk beaches and senery  inc water mills          20mls from home  discover    support local  economy  help out     support local buisnesses  not supermarkets                  local meat and veg more flavour  cheaper  home grown  better than imports from africa  ftom tescos         the Cotswolds  so much history               

linton linmouth vanicula      if you are in to walking    and exploring inc mountain goats   

the lands of loyal hotel at aylet   is my fava rout   the scenry is beyond    all else 

built for the captain of the  Mauritania        goose hunting       staking        grouse     the seney alone is worth  the trip 

6 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

Hire a camper van and just go you will love it.

Unfortunately, its harder to do that these days because most half decent sites are fully booked in the summer well in advance. Sometimes a year in advance in Cornwall. You do need access to an electrical hookup if you want to take advantage of the creature comforts.

Its not that easy to just wing it either, in Cornwall virtually every layby and carpark have signs saying no overnight parking. Bored police will take great delight in waking you up at 4am to move you on.

5 hours ago, sandspider said:

Does anyone think we'll be able to go abroad a bit by Summer? With increased vaccination, more sun & UV etc. Trying to book something in the UK, but France would be good if possible...

I’ve still got flights booked to Mauritius in July and Portugal in August but I reckon only 50/50 chance and decreasing. France more likely but not much more. 

8 hours ago, powler said:

Wifes just booked an apartment for week next Sept at Brixham, near the battery gardens so should get some fishing done. Last year we had planned touring down through France and into Italy on the motorbike. 😔

I spent a few nights in Brixham many years ago it was very very nice but Paignton up the road is a bit of a dump.