Jump to content

Summer holidays in UK


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, sandspider said:

Does anyone think we'll be able to go abroad a bit by Summer? With increased vaccination, more sun & UV etc. Trying to book something in the UK, but France would be good if possible...

I hope so, I have had to use the cancellation voucher from last year so have Vegas booked for October

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:


When my family holidayed in Mauritius it was scorching hot! 
 

Too much for the majority of us in the family who are ginger 🤣
 

Most amazing seafood you will ever have though. Prawns the size of lobsters! 
 

Also found the locals brilliant and very friendly when we went. 

Their winter is best if you don’t like it boiling hot. May-October. And better value as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/02/2021 at 18:09, mel b3 said:

Back in the day , I used to bring a mate , gudgeon,  eels,  and pike . I'd also bring a few perch for another mates wife. That was back in the days when everywhere was stuffed with fish , you couldn't even imagine doing it these days.

Yeh and the environment agency say everything is fine, what a joke, the fish in Upper wharf are gone,, otters, mink, gooseander, cormorant, heron, signal crayfish, the heron now eat the duckling when available (all part of lifes rich tapastry) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, steve s×s said:

Yeh and the environment agency say everything is fine, what a joke, the fish in Upper wharf are gone,, otters, mink, gooseander, cormorant, heron, signal crayfish, the heron now eat the duckling when available (all part of lifes rich tapastry) 

The main problem in these parts is eastern Europeans.  They don't just take a few for the pot from here and there , they take everything from everywhere. They walk the canals and pools  trying to buy fish from fishermen . They even net the canals . It's a real shame , but hopefully they'll do it less and less as they learn that they're just wiping out fish stocks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

The main problem in these parts is eastern Europeans.  They don't just take a few for the pot from here and there , they take everything from everywhere. They walk the canals and pools  trying to buy fish from fishermen . They even net the canals . It's a real shame , but hopefully they'll do it less and less as they learn that they're just wiping out fish stocks.

Never hear anyone being fined for netting but you try fishing without a rod licence 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steve s×s said:

Never hear anyone being fined for netting but you try fishing without a rod licence 

My mate called the police one evening as they were netting the canal . The police just took the net away and sent them on their way . My mate was hoping for a canal side execution 😅.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

My mate called the police one evening as they were netting the canal . The police just took the net away and sent them on their way . My mate was hoping for a canal side execution 😅.

I am beginning to think the old saying (Hell on earth) as a bit of truth in it, maybe in the next life I'll come back as a criminal without a consonance they seem to do alright 😇

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 years ago I bought  a 6 berth touring caravan, prob the best £13k I've spent its been everywhere as far as Scotland to Bournemouth stayed in some lovely sites chatsworth house, new forest, filey etc. I joined the caravan and motorhome club and I can book as many sites as i want on my app without having to pay a deposit. the caravan value has also shot up due to staycation so win win there. This year I've booked a weekend for the basc gamefair but on a caravan club site just up the road and a week with the queen at Sandringham estate in august. the whole family love our little get away with days on the beach. we have had some fantastic weather while away. its not just about going abroad for us its making memories while the kids are young. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SPARKIE said:

2 years ago I bought  a 6 berth touring caravan, prob the best £13k I've spent its been everywhere as far as Scotland to Bournemouth stayed in some lovely sites chatsworth house, new forest, filey etc. I joined the caravan and motorhome club and I can book as many sites as i want on my app without having to pay a deposit. the caravan value has also shot up due to staycation so win win there. This year I've booked a weekend for the basc gamefair but on a caravan club site just up the road and a week with the queen at Sandringham estate in august. the whole family love our little get away with days on the beach. we have had some fantastic weather while away. its not just about going abroad for us its making memories while the kids are young. 

I used to love going on holiday when my kids were young , just spending time with them was great , the weather didn't matter . Looking back , I wish that I'd spent less time working , and more time with the kids in a caravan/tent .

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mel b3 said:

The main problem in these parts is eastern Europeans.  They don't just take a few for the pot from here and there , they take everything from everywhere. They walk the canals and pools  trying to buy fish from fishermen . They even net the canals . It's a real shame , but hopefully they'll do it less and less as they learn that they're just wiping out fish stocks.

They are always hanging about our sailing lake, usually in the early morning. The popular opinion is that they are after the ducks and geese but im sure they are after the crayfish and if so they are welcome to them

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

They are always hanging about our sailing lake, usually in the early morning. The popular opinion is that they are after the ducks and geese but im sure they are after the crayfish and if so they are welcome to them.

Still the law is the law, you need to have a licence to take crayfish and I don't suppose they have one.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

I used to love going on holiday when my kids were young , just spending time with them was great , the weather didn't matter . Looking back , I wish that I'd spent less time working , and more time with the kids in a caravan/tent .

 

we started going camping about ten years ago. we started in a nylon tent then only a canvas frame tent then another upgrade to a canvas trailer tent all while saving for a caravan. sold the frame tent when i got the tourer and never looked back. just wish id had the money earlier. first year of having it we were away 9 times 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We go on last minute dot com and book a three or four  day break weve been all over Britain  . But the last one was a Christian retreat , Somebody different stood up and said prayers and each  evening they moved you so you had someone new at your table to talk too the tiles in the middle of the swimming pool said Jesus  Saves  and there was no bar  LOL .

If Scotland had the weather i wouldn't go elsewhere we got some cracking scenery here 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I used to love going on holiday when my kids were young , just spending time with them was great , the weather didn't matter . Looking back , I wish that I'd spent less time working , and more time with the kids in a caravan/tent .

 

I think I envy people who have a relationship like that with their children. I can’t say I ever wanted to spend more time with them and I suspect they would say the same. Definitely now, when they were younger I don’t know. We went to Florida last year and it was OK but it was tense and it was always on the verge of a bust up from somebody. Saying that I wonder why we do holidays but we do! The ones that work best are where they can go and do their own thing and I lay on the beach/water ski/scuba etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/02/2021 at 07:55, blackbird said:

I remember asking why are the fields so green in Wales & the reply I got was “it’s not grass lad it’s moss from the constant bloody rain” 😀

i remember being askes the same about Ireland  its green  my answer  because we are over here waking on yours 😁🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AVB said:

I think I envy people who have a relationship like that with their children. I can’t say I ever wanted to spend more time with them and I suspect they would say the same. Definitely now, when they were younger I don’t know. We went to Florida last year and it was OK but it was tense and it was always on the verge of a bust up from somebody. Saying that I wonder why we do holidays but we do! The ones that work best are where they can go and do their own thing and I lay on the beach/water ski/scuba etc. 

When my kids were growing up , we were best mates . My lad would come shooting / ferreting / fishing with me , and anything that my daughter was involved in , I'd get involved with her , I'd even go on their paper rounds with them if I was home from work in time , and I swear that im a little bit deaf from spending hours with them practicing their trumpet and cornet  . It was the happiest time of my life . I had a xxxxxxx miserable childhood,  and I was determined that theirs would be better. We grew apart for a while when my first wife passed away (we all had our own struggle ), but that didn't last for long . They're both cruising towards 30 years old now , and both of them know more than me about everything,  until they're in the xxxx , then it's daaad 😅.

Looking back , I wish that I'd spent less time working,  and more time at home with my wife and kids . I'd grown up with nothing , and I was determined that my kids wouldn't be the same .new  flip phones and top of the range Nike trainers were expensive , so I worked whenever I could. 

My life experiences have taught me that money has no value at all , ( that's probably why I see the whole Covid thing differently to many others) ,  I know that i can always get my hands on more money if I need to  , but time spent with the people that i love , can never be replaced.👍.

Have you ever thought about taking your kids camping ?, or something similar that needs everyone to get stuck in together to make it work . You can still have a posh holiday as well.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/02/2021 at 10:36, Eyefor said:

Hmm..don't agree.

Assuming lockdown is over

Buy latest Michelin guide plus good Scottish walks guide or join Walkingworld ( https://walkingworld.co.uk/ )and print off local walks.

Fly to Edinburgh. Biz class.

Book 5* Hotel Stay in Edinburgh 3 / 4 days. Eat at The Kitchen and Martin Wisharts.

Hire something substantial. Range Rover / S Class / Bentley Continental but big enough for all normal luggage PLUS all walking gear.

Drive to Gleneagles. Stay 2 / 3 days.

Drive to Inverness. 5* Hotel. Eat at The Mustard Seed and Rocpool

Drive to t'other side to 5* Hotel on Skye. Eat at any of the Michelin restaurants there but especially those on the North West coast.

Drive to Ayr. 5* Hotel. Eat at Braidwoods

Return Glasgow - London Biz class

Get home. Hide the bathroom scales if you ate more than you walked.

 

I had a quick look at Gleneagles prices. 2 rooms/3 days B&B - £4K. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AVB said:

I had a quick look at Gleneagles prices. 2 rooms/3 days B&B - £4K. 

The place that I stay you get 3 meals a day, unlimited drinks (hot/cold/alcohol), Beds made and turned down, clothes laundered on the edge of an area of outstanding beauty etc. etc. and my mortgage doesn't even cost a quarter of that 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

4k doesn't sound too bad I've done Disneyland Florida twice both times cost in region of 12-15k for 4 of us. we went all in 14days at a themed Disney hotel 14 day passes to all parks, swimming with dolphins and bell diving at discovery cove. VIP tickets to nasa cape Canaveral with a sit down 3 course meal with a real astronaut including a trip out to launch sights. multiple water parks, Halloween in Disney too. we flew out with  virgin atlantic and booked into there VIP suite for breakfast, limo transfers the lot.... Would i do it again with the kids yes but maybe in a few years when all the covid ****es done with.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SPARKIE said:

4k doesn't sound too bad I've done Disneyland Florida twice both times cost in region of 12-15k for 4 of us. we went all in 14days at a themed Disney hotel 14 day passes to all parks, swimming with dolphins and bell diving at discovery cove. VIP tickets to nasa cape Canaveral with a sit down 3 course meal with a real astronaut including a trip out to launch sights. multiple water parks, Halloween in Disney too. we flew out with  virgin atlantic and booked into there VIP suite for breakfast, limo transfers the lot.... Would i do it again with the kids yes but maybe in a few years when all the covid ****es done with.   

For 15k I'd want a flight in the space shuttle , and I'd want to get behind the wheel and have a go .😊

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...