Finding Alice. What rubbish

AVB

This has Keeley Hawes in it so I thought it might be good. But it’s absolute tripe. And so far in (three episodes) the cast comprises of white, black, Indian, Chinese, gay, lesbian, transgender, Down’s syndrome and wheelchair actors. I’m sure I’ve missed some off the list. 

15 minutes ago, AVB said:

This has Keeley Hawes in it so I thought it might be good. But it’s absolute tripe. And so far in (three episodes) the cast comprises of white, black, Indian, Chinese, gay, lesbian, transgender, Down’s syndrome and wheelchair actors. I’m sure I’ve missed some off the list. 

And what have you learned?       One good cast member does not guarantee a decent programme to watch!

8 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

More to the point, I commend you on your mental resilience to get through three episodes. I did 5 minutes and realised it was ****.

Yes, I only just got past the trailers.

Dont get too excited about the Queens Gambit - starts off slow but then stays there, dont think it's really possible to make Chess entertaining as a core film subject. If you fancy a challenge then see if you can watch more than 5 minutes of Mary Berry's new celebrity Home Cook on BBC, absolute disgracefull waste of licence payers money.

Edited by bruno22rf

11 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Dont get too excited about the Queens Gambit - starts off slow but then stays there, dont think it's really possible to make Chess entertaining as a core film subject. If you fancy a challenge then see if you can watch more than 5 minutes of Mary Berry's new celebrity Home Cook on BBC, absolute disgracefull waste of licence payers money.

Well I watched it for 3 minutes and just couldn't face any more of the tripe!

2 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

I found the Queens Gambit quite gripping. 

Looked at the Alice thing and decided it wasn't for me.

I really enjoyed the Queens Gambit.

I also recommend the Netflix film Dig about the Sutton Hoo discoveries ... nice, easy viewing.

Decided that It's a Sin wasn't for me either ... good backing music, but not really the Friday night entertainment I'm looking for!

45 minutes ago, lampro said:

Watched the dig great depiction of a true story and the acting was good allso 

One of the best films I have seen on Netflix  in a while.  Well acted by all the cast . Was interesting  to see the head of the museum  played by the guy  , who played the part of a detective years ago Rebus , actor Ken Scott . Did not recognise  him at first . Shame Basil Brown did not get recognised  for many years after his amazing find .

4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I found the first episode a bit naff, the BBC have realy gone overboard on character actors, the investigator is good, based on a true story, 

As a fellow metal detecting  buddy . Watch  " the Dig " you will love it .

4 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

One of the best films I have seen on Netflix  in a while.  Well acted by all the cast . Was interesting  to see the head of the museum  played by the guy  , who played the part of a detective years ago Rebus , actor Ken Scott . Did not recognise  him at first . Shame Basil Brown did not get recognised  for many years after his amazing find .

As a fellow metal detecting  buddy . Watch  " the Dig " you will love it .

Hello, I was going to say that one but my son was disappointed and he has never been detecting 🤔

5 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

She must be related to someone very important? Waste of electricity too. 

Seemingly the BBC will use any tat old or new to keep worming their way?

Air miles Dave must have put more pollution into the atmosphere than the entire PW?

I need to get out more.

1 hour ago, lampro said:

Watched the dig great depiction of a true story and the acting was good allso 

Er...ish. They made some really annoying and pointless changes, ones that ironically fly in the face of gender inclusivity! The cousin who took the photos? He didn't exist, the book on which the film's based cut two female head teachers out who really did all the photos to professional standard and replaced it with a man, so that Peggy could have a love interest that never happened in reality. And far from being a bumbling newbie, she was brilliant at her job, had vast field experience and already had lead some minor digs. She does leave her husband albeit 20 years later. Unnecessary changes just to shoehorn a romance element that was inconspicuously absent in the real events.

That said, yes it was brilliant and I thoroughly enjoyed it and they did get the archaeological side spot on. I'm a huge fan of Fiennes. He picks interesting, less well known or less popular themes and roles and makes them compelling.

I enjoyed the dig. I think I have a crush on Carey Mulligan! OK so it wasn’t exactly  strictly true to actual events or people, but documentaries play fast and loose with the truth according to their agenda. This was entertainment, and very finely acted too.

Edited by Sussexboy

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

Er...ish. They made some really annoying and pointless changes, ones that ironically fly in the face of gender inclusivity! The cousin who took the photos? He didn't exist, the book on which the film's based cut two female head teachers out who really did all the photos to professional standard and replaced it with a man, so that Peggy could have a love interest that never happened in reality. And far from being a bumbling newbie, she was brilliant at her job, had vast field experience and already had lead some minor digs. She does leave her husband albeit 20 years later. Unnecessary changes just to shoehorn a romance element that was inconspicuously absent in the real events.

That said, yes it was brilliant and I thoroughly enjoyed it and they did get the archaeological side spot on. I'm a huge fan of Fiennes. He picks interesting, less well known or less popular themes and roles and makes them compelling.

We watched White Crow last night. It’s about Rudolph Nureyev up to his defection. His mentor is Pushkin, excellently played by Fiennes. Good film. 

18 minutes ago, Scully said:

We watched White Crow last night. It’s about Rudolph Nureyev up to his defection. His mentor is Pushkin, excellently played by Fiennes. Good film. 

Funny you should say that, so did I!

1 hour ago, Sussexboy said:

I enjoyed the dig. I think I have a crush on Carey Mulligan! OK so it wasn’t exactly  strictly true to actual events or people, but documentaries play fast and loose with the truth according to their agenda. This was entertainment, and very finely acted too.

Aye, you're not wrong there. The upcoming portrayal of Mary Anning, the 19th century fossil hunter who revolutionised understanding of fossil creation and discovery, is about as grounded in fiction as Trump's comedy election ramblings

35 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Aye, you're not wrong there. The upcoming portrayal of Mary Anning, the 19th century fossil hunter who revolutionised understanding of fossil creation and discovery, is about as grounded in fiction as Trump's comedy election ramblings

Sad isn’t it. The real story is probably much more interesting (and much more important), but not action packed enough.

3 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

One frustration I had was they mentioned at the end that the treasure could be seen at the British Museum, but didn't go on to share info about the brilliant visitor centre at the site itself.....

Hello, there is a new Drama on channel 5 tonight 9pm !!!!!

5 hours ago, Sussexboy said:

Sad isn’t it. The real story is probably much more interesting (and much more important), but not action packed enough.

Hello, it is ,check out the Sutton Hoo hoard 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

'The Dig' great Brit film! I and other locals watched it twice as so much location spotting first time. They didn't do a bad job of getting our Suffolk accents right either. Heard they had some local help, and Ralph was born in Ipswich.. . . . My dad knew Basil. Very clever down to earth man. Taught himself a few languages including Latin and wrote a book on the stars/cosmos. He exuviated a Roman site near mine around same time. Discovered when they were laying water main/sewage to our houses. . . .  If you get a chance visit the Sutton Hoo site and visitor centre. Copies of hoard and burial chamber on show. Amazing craftmanship and finds that changed history! . . . Very special place! Have visited many times as local to me. Many like me say they feel something there at different times that's hard to explain. Have spent a lot of time that way and on the Deben Peninsular over the years. Get lot of detectorists/nighthawks locally now because of and more following the series 'The Detectorists' also based and filmed locally. Good series and also worth a watch. . . . . . Ralph Fiennes brother Jake was a keeper on the Ravenham Estate Norfolk. He's now head of conservation on the Holkham Estate. Doing great things and is much respected by farmers, shooters and conservationists. He's in favour of sea eagles in Norfolk.       NB

7 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

'The Dig' great Brit film! I and other locals watched it twice as so much location spotting first time. They didn't do a bad job of getting our Suffolk accents right either. Heard they had some local help, and Ralph was born in Ipswich.. . . . My dad knew Basil. Very clever down to earth man. Taught himself a few languages including Latin and wrote a book on the stars/cosmos. He exuviated a Roman site near mine around same time. Discovered when they were laying water main/sewage to our houses. . . .  If you get a chance visit the Sutton Hoo site and visitor centre. Copies of hoard and burial chamber on show. Amazing craftmanship and finds that changed history! . . . Very special place! Have visited many times as local to me. Many like me say they feel something there at different times that's hard to explain. Have spent a lot of time that way and on the Deben Peninsular over the years. Get lot of detectorists/nighthawks locally now because of and more following the series 'The Detectorists' also based and filmed locally. Good series and also worth a watch. . . . . . Ralph Fiennes brother Jake was a keeper on the Ravenham Estate Norfolk. He's now head of conservation on the Holkham Estate. Doing great things and is much respected by farmers, shooters and conservationists. He's in favour of sea eagles in Norfolk.       NB

We watched the dig last night.  What a cracking film 👍.

I'm normally only interested in digging holes when I'm trying to retrieve a ferret 😊.