Mars and lever action firearms

hafod

Have anyone received this letter off their firearms licencing dept about mars and lever action firearms being banned from March forgive my ignorance but does anyone know what this is about and what constitutes a mars and lever action firearm

I know a fair bit about it. I would have thought someone would know if their firearm was a lever release or MARS action. Note, it's not a lever action such as a Marlin but a small lever that releases the bolt that locks back when the rifle is fired.

The surrender scheme documents can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/offensive-weapons-act-surrender-and-compensation-scheme

Firearms

Sections 54 of the Offensive Weapons Act 2019 amends section 5 of the Firearms Act 1968 to make rapid firing rifles and bump stocks subject to general prohibition across England, Scotland and Wales, which means they cannot be held without the authority of the Secretary of State or Scottish Ministers.

As a result of these amendments, rapid firing rifles will no longer be able to be held on a firearm certificate. These are defined as any rifle with a chamber from which empty cartridge cases are extracted using energy from propellant gas, or energy imparted to a spring or other energy storage device by propellant gas, other than a rifle which is chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges.

Section 55 of the Offensive Weapons Act makes corresponding amendments to Article 45 of the Firearms (Northern Ireland) Order 2004.

Edited by Windswept

6 hours ago, Windswept said:

I know a fair bit about it. I would have thought someone would know if their firearm was a lever release or MARS action. Note, it's not a lever action such as a Marlin but a small lever that releases the bolt that locks back when the rifle is fired.

The surrender scheme documents can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/offensive-weapons-act-surrender-and-compensation-scheme

my rifles are bolt actions so it doesn't apply to me but a hell of a lot of people are confused about it that's the only reason I asked 

41 minutes ago, Imperfection said:

Its lever release firearms they want.

Lever action firearms or under lever (cowboy style rifles) are fine and not under the Home Offices scrutiny......for now.

Scully is correct. They'll chip away until they're all 

this was a problem when they took away the handguns everyone was confused at the time if remember rightly

fine antiques were being handed in which turned out were exempt from the ban it turned out afterwards 

I can remember reading in the shooting press at the time durring the pistol amnesty

they were destroying a fine pair of cased wogdon flintlock duelling pistols that were handed in

That found they had a very shallow form of concealed rifling which accounted for their deadly accuracy on the duelling fields back in the day

when duelling was a Georgian gentleman's pastime and duelling pistols were smoothbores

sorry for going off topic Strange but true lol

18 minutes ago, Windswept said:

The knife and sword definitions in the surrender bill are a bit confusing. Anyone else know that pea-shooters are now illegal to own? I.e. 'a hollow tube out of which hard pellets or darts are shot by the use of breath'

We must surely be the laughing stock of the world! 😞

Must let the pygmies know that live in next doors overgrown garden

13 hours ago, Windswept said:

The knife and sword definitions in the surrender bill are a bit confusing. Anyone else know that pea-shooters are now illegal to own? I.e. 'a hollow tube out of which hard pellets or darts are shot by the use of breath'