Barbour repairs

Scully

Not recently, they used to give you a pre-paid bag at the Game Fairs and would either take it in there or let you send it in. They then go over it and contact you with a price. Having the cuffs re-done and new zips  and a re-wax seemed to be  favourites.

Have a look here;

https://www.barbour.com/uk/repair-rewax

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Not had repairs done for some years, but their website states Re wax only £35. Repairs when having the £35 re wax done are. Replace zip £29, new pocket £35, bind hem £12, new collar £25 etc. 

I sent my very old Solway Zipper that was an absolute disgrace many years ago and they took the job on, so based on that they will repair anything !

https://www.barbour.com/uk/repairs-service-quote

Back in the day, about 1975 ish, a fowling mate of mine bought a new Solway at the Game Fair. When the fowling season closed he sent it to Barbour for a re wax, after one season on the Wash. They didn’t actually decline the job but told him it should have been done years ago and try not to let it get so bad before sending it again!

1 minute ago, London Best said:

Back in the day, about 1975 ish, a fowling mate of mine bought a new Solway at the Game Fair. When the fowling season closed he sent it to Barbour for a re wax, after one season on the Wash. They didn’t actually decline the job but told him it should have been done years ago and try not to let it get so bad before sending it again!

A truly magical coat, mine could stand up on its own with no human help whatsoever !

Just now, CharlieT said:

A truly magical coat, mine could stand up on its own with no human help whatsoever !

I still have a Northumbria, proper waxed not one of those effeminate silkoyl jobs, bought some time in the mid ‘80’s. A real tank of a coat, but somehow still not a Solway Zipper.

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

I still have a Northumbria, proper waxed not one of those effeminate silkoyl jobs, bought some time in the mid ‘80’s. A real tank of a coat, but somehow still not a Solway Zipper.

🙂I have several Northumbria jackets, plus other models, but not sure if I’ve ever owned a Solway. They get a good pasting with wax whenever they need it, followed by a going over with a hair dryer.....I haven’t had any other use for a hair dryer for some years now. 
The item in question are a pair of over trousers I’ve had since Jesus was a lad; they have a couple of holes and a tear in the outer and the liner, but they are so warm and comfortable I’m loathe to give up on them. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

🙂I have several Northumbria jackets, plus other models, but not sure if I’ve ever owned a Solway. They get a good pasting with wax whenever they need it, followed by a going over with a hair dryer.....I haven’t had any other use for a hair dryer for some years now. 
The item in question are a pair of over trousers I’ve had since Jesus was a lad; they have a couple of holes and a tear in the outer and the liner, but they are so warm and comfortable I’m loathe to give up on them. 

If you have an old scrap wax garment do what I do. Well, to be honest, what my wife does. Cut out a patch from the scrapper, sew it really tightly on to the tear and then wax the bejabers out of it. Works really well.

PS I’m with you on the hairdryer!

Edited by London Best

5 minutes ago, London Best said:

If you have an old scrap wax garment do what I do. Well, to be honest, what my wife does. Cut out a patch from the scrapper, sew it really tightly on to the tear and then wax the bejabers out of it. Works really well.

PS I’m with you on the hairdryer!

👍I think it may come to this actually after having another look at them. The cost may not be justifiable.
OH is a dab hand with a sewing machine, so it looks like I may be making tea tonight. 🙂

Thanks for your input and advice all. 👍

14 minutes ago, powler said:

Just been looking at waxing my barbour, do you guys use the barbour wax?

Best wait for a hot Summer’s day and do it outside. Cloth stays warm and the job is ten times easier. You can’t wax a stiff Barbour effectively. Barbour themselves do it on a heated plate.

When we get warmer weather hang the item in greenhouse

On 01/02/2021 at 13:31, powler said:

If you have greenhouse wait  until we have a really warm day, hang up jacket in greenhouse and keep tin of wax there also, goes on a treat and sinks well into fabric. Only waxed item I have  are stud on leggings and it works well with them.

Blackpowder

On 01/02/2021 at 13:31, powler said:

I’ve used the Barbour wax before but now use Gold Label waterproof wax. It just seems to apply better and you get more for your money.

I use a fan heater angled down to the work surface, to keep the area warm.

Heat the wax to melt it and apply generously with a sponge.

Best tip I could give, to get a nice even finish, is to get an old cotton pillowcase ( preferably with button closure, so the jacket doesn’t fall out), put the jacket in it after waxing and shove it in the tumble drier for 20 minutes. Comes out great 👍