Jump to content

Beretta are buying Holland and Holland


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beretta is a savy company and have been building guns as long as H&H. it will not lesson the quality of H&H guns. After all being owned by Channel didn't make them smell any better. On the brighter side Audley house will be offering take away Pizza.

Edited by simcgunner
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, simcgunner said:

Beretta is a savy company and have been building guns as long as H&H. it will not lesson the quality of H&H guns. After all being owned by Channel didn't make them smell any better. On the brighter side Audley house will be offering take away Pizza.

Isn't Audley House Purdey's shop?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if UK berettas are different then USA ones.  I recently looked at a Silver Pigeon at the gun show, the new one with the grape engraving and rounded forearm.      I am going to be honest it looked poorly finished compared older guns.  The laser engraving looked shoty, the wood didn't fit well,  the blueing had defects, and when you broke it open the hidden action was rough and had horrible tool marks.  The CZ redheads on the same table where half the price and where finished quite well. I was thinking about the 690 field but I am leaning more to Browning now. 

Edited by NoBodyImportant
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, clangerman said:

can’t fault my semi autos but berettas customer service is garbage if i knew how bad it was they wouldn’t have seen a penny lucky there are spares suppliers who do know how a phone works 

Well it won't be Beretta's Customer Service, I can only presume you mean GMK, what was Gunmark.

 

NEVER had a problem with them, always extremely helpful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well it won't be Beretta's Customer Service, 

i don’t want a hundred questions from the middle monkey trying to find out if i’m a terrorist (idiots!) to buy over priced parts luckily I can buy quality parts online cheaper which show up in three days the days of the captive customer are over if you sell guns sell the parts with no fuss or i don’t wont buy your guns 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, clangerman said:

i don’t want a hundred questions from the middle monkey trying to find out if i’m a terrorist (idiots!) to buy over priced parts luckily I can buy quality parts online cheaper which show up in three days the days of the captive customer are over if you sell guns sell the parts with no fuss or i don’t wont buy your guns 

Simple, don't buy their guns, in the grand scheme I wouldn't get worked up about it they only have a job to do

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/02/2021 at 19:32, The Heron said:

I think it's rather sad but that's the business world. 

 

On 01/02/2021 at 19:35, London Best said:

I think it’s the sickest joke since they started making Webley and Scott’s in Turkey.

Gordon Bennett, if it makes both firms stronger it can only be a good thing!:w00t:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

 

Gordon Bennett, if it makes both firms stronger it can only be a good thing!:w00t:

Mmm, will have to wait and see. 
I suppose it’s the way of global business, but I would hate to see “badge engineering” as in the motor industry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its a good fit. They will understand what it will take to keep the brand properly respected. Beretta make money and H&H don't sadly. If they produced a London finished over and under equivalent to those Purdey branded Italian actioned guns, I don't think that would be a bad thing. When you're cutting out the people who can only afford a £30,000 gun you really are narrowing your market! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, theshootist said:

I think its a good fit. They will understand what it will take to keep the brand properly respected. Beretta make money and H&H don't sadly. If they produced a London finished over and under equivalent to those Purdey branded Italian actioned guns, I don't think that would be a bad thing. When you're cutting out the people who can only afford a £30,000 gun you really are narrowing your market! 

Exactly!:good:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/02/2021 at 18:01, London Best said:

I just hope it doesn’t mean that we can look forward to seeing stock bolts, split pistol grips, painted wood grain, sprayed on stock finish, plastic butt plates, coil spring actions and all the other carp quality which comes as standard with mass produced Silver Pigeons bearing the H&H name.

Of course you will. It's the way forward. Or stagnate with the old systems and go bust. The shooting fraternity seem to happily accept the lower end market. That's where the money is. This lower end seems pretty well engineered to me. Replacing a coil spring with a stock bolt is cheap and can take minutes. I would hate to have to pay for a broken leaf spring in your Holland.

Edited by DUNKS
Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously only a small percentage of the shooting community can afford to buy a new Purdey/whatever, definitely me included. But many buy new Perazzis which cost what I paid for the Holland. But we live in an increasingly ‘throw away’ society. Every day you can read posts on this forum about trying to get spares, problems with one gun or another, and remarks such as ‘I’ve had it five seasons so it has not done too bad.’  Guns used to last several generations, even the cheapest workaday keepers/farmers tools. Very few seem to have any appreciation for quality any more. It would be relatively cheap to replace a leaf spring, and even if it cost £500 IMO it is better than spending that amount on a new Yilkofsan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, London Best said:

Obviously only a small percentage of the shooting community can afford to buy a new Purdey/whatever, definitely me included. But many buy new Perazzis which cost what I paid for the Holland. But we live in an increasingly ‘throw away’ society. Every day you can read posts on this forum about trying to get spares, problems with one gun or another, and remarks such as ‘I’ve had it five seasons so it has not done too bad.’  Guns used to last several generations, even the cheapest workaday keepers/farmers tools. Very few seem to have any appreciation for quality any more. It would be relatively cheap to replace a leaf spring, and even if it cost £500 IMO it is better than spending that amount on a new Yilkofsan.

I agree. While I think that the cheaper guns have their ( limited ) place, and whilst trying not to come across as a gun snob, I genuinely believe if you buy cheap you buy twice. 
With the exception of one gun ( and this was bought to stop me knocking about a classic really ) all my shotguns are at least 30 years old. Not old by many standards, but they are quality pieces from reputable makers, good enough for generations worth of ownership. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/02/2021 at 11:23, London Best said:

Obviously only a small percentage of the shooting community can afford to buy a new Purdey/whatever, definitely me included. But many buy new Perazzis which cost what I paid for the Holland. But we live in an increasingly ‘throw away’ society. Every day you can read posts on this forum about trying to get spares, problems with one gun or another, and remarks such as ‘I’ve had it five seasons so it has not done too bad.’  Guns used to last several generations, even the cheapest workaday keepers/farmers tools. Very few seem to have any appreciation for quality any more. It would be relatively cheap to replace a leaf spring, and even if it cost £500 IMO it is better than spending that amount on a new Yilkofsan.

Pretty sure a "carp silver pigeon" as you would call it will last out many a shooter if looked after correctly, they are better quality than you seem to think, have a look you might be surprised!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...