New shotgun

Walker570

4 hours ago, London Best said:

Well spotted, Sir. The hammer ends are also showing signs of this. Must get it fixed, but I’ve only used it once to shoot a few clays and twice to shoot about three dozen corvids.

i had a new set of pins made up for mine about 30 years ago ....£16 quid and used a couple of cut down biro springs ....job was a gooden..

16 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I may be needing a new shotgun come the new 2021 season.  Choices choices....  in 410 gauge.  Bettinsoli, Rizzini, Browning or should I go for  what I have now Yilditz or any other suggestions.  I have been put of KOFs by comments on here.  There is a nice looking Parker Hale hammer on offer but it is down in Kent. Would be nice to shoot a hammer again and it has 28 inch barrels where I like 30s but, if it felt right I would have it.  Getting my hands on it to try it is the problem at the moment.   Thoughts

I purchased a new bettinsoli. 410 last year, 30” with 14.8 lop. Lovely thing to shoot and look at, unfortunately the trigger packed up within a month so it was returned for a full refund. Perhaps mine was a bad one? I certainly won’t buy one again and will look a little harder at Lincoln next time.

Best of luck with the search.

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

i had a new set of pins made up for mine about 30 years ago ....£16 quid and used a couple of cut down biro springs ....job was a gooden..

Thanks Ditchy.  I was a toolmaker myself for 54 years and made dozens of pins for others and my own Spanish guns. The secret is using the correct steel and proper hardening and tempering. Have also used biro springs!

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Thanks Ditchy.  I was a toolmaker myself for 54 years and made dozens of pins for others and my own Spanish guns. The secret is using the correct steel and proper hardening and tempering. Have also used biro springs!

ive always used/had AYA's 1&2's.........couldnt fault them 'cept the pins were brittle or soft........always took them to Frank from Darlows and he refused to use AYA' replacement pins...always ...like you prefered to make a set up and harden and temper them..........once done they would never be touched again....

19 hours ago, Walker570 said:

It just started to light strike intermittently on both barrels. It has had a fair bit of work over four...maybe five seasons so I cannot complain as it probably cost me a fiver a day.

I have a RFD friend who is going to strip it and see if it is worn out. With ally actions always a possible problem.  It has been a superb little gun.

Just looking at what may replace it. 

Personally, I think you’re RFD friend will find the main hammer springs are either weakened through use/time or the usual (and expected) build up of dried grease and gum.. There’ll be very little physical aluminium to steel contact around moving parts within the action so a strip-down with new main springs would be what I’d expect to restore the gun.. Would reckon replacement main springs will be reasonably priced too for the Yildiz. Might be worth emailing the guys at Raytrade for their opinion, assume warranty is out.? 

Might also be worth enquiring with the Raytrade team if they’ve still got a couple of Yildiz SPZME Special Lux’s in 410.? Both models are sideplated, hand engraved with, if I’m not mistaken, grade five timber.. very tasty, with one have a straight hand stock (see Jonnies review on YT). Use your skills/talent and negotiate a ‘bargain’..

Thanks for that. I did not know who was now the importer as I had in the past dealt with Entwhistle.  Yes, I think you may be correct re the problem and so does my RFD/Gunsmith. I still like the look of that little Midland hammer gun down at Chris Potters though:yes:.   I said to my wife, it is always good to have a backup.

No problem Squire.. would be very interested in the outcome of the service as I’m the happy owner of two of them.

Bit like yourself, I’d managed to persuade the supreme overlord (in my domain) to grant permission for the additional purchase.. just in case.

Oh, just a thought.. Im assuming the hammer gun is proofed for three inch shells, otherwise you’ll be down to maybe 14grm loads or less.. Like you, I’ve been knocking those driven pheasants down with home loaded 19 gram shells, much to the amazement and amusement of my syndicate colleagues.. still miss my share too, though.