Gallipoli

MirokuMK70

If anyone has amazon prime I recommend you check out the above series. 

Based on the book by L.A Carlyon. It has a undoubtedly well deserved Australian slant on the standard of british generalship but the combat scenes are very well done. Knocks the woeful 1917 into a cocked hat. Its the only depiction i've ever seen of what I assume a shrapnel shell (in the true sense of the word) does when it bursts.

Australians like to blame poor British generalship for sending them into attacks that cost huge casualties, but they do tend to overlook the fact that it was their own Australian generals who gave the orders and it was often their own recklessness in attacks that cost them unnecessary losses.

Is it the one with Harold from "Neighbours"? Where he hangs his pocket watch in the trench before leading his men over the top?

If so it is an excellent production. 

My friend's grandfather was at Gallipoli. He asked him what it as like?

"It was the easy, lad. We were Royal Marines. There to guard the ships. We spent most days playing football on the beach. All the while in the distance hearing the poor ANZACS getting hell on earth."

Edited by enfieldspares

The Anzacs did not "own" the Gallipoli campaign, but it's easy to think they did. In fact they represented 25-30% of the infantry which was roughly the same as the French contingent. British troops accounted for about half the land forces.

As always the Anzacs fought with distinction and suffered disproportionate casualties, much as they did on the Western front. By 1915 the army had worked out that they had   about 10 crack divisions at their disposal and that included the Australian and Canadian divisions. These top divisions were used over and aver again and were thrown into all the major battles. Consequently they all took heavy losses. My grandfather's division was in France or Belgium for 4 years and suffered 35000 killed, including my grandfather, which was about 3 times it's original strength and roughly half as many as the total Australian losses.