Interest rates down.

samboy

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

Can anyone remember when you used to get your yearly statement from the bank , you'd look at the interest earned and you'd think , oh yes , free money 😊

I remember when we were paying around 15% interest on our mortgage and savers were getting around 8%-10%, then when I retired 2008/2009 the interest rate went into a nose dive and our savings were earning peanuts, so I moved most of our money into low risk investment ISA which have given far better returns on our money.

2 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Got mine in nsi and that's gone down months ago 

I’ve got the proceeds of our house sale in there pending the next purchase.  It’s gone from earning £450 a month to £45 it’s almost funny how poor the return is but all you can say is it’s safe in there

2 hours ago, old'un said:

I remember when we were paying around 15% interest on our mortgage and savers were getting around 8%-10%, then when I retired 2008/2009 the interest rate went into a nose dive and our savings were earning peanuts, so I moved most of our money into low risk investment ISA which have given far better returns on our money.

When I retired from full time work in 2002 we could have lived on the interest from our savings. It’s a good job we didn’t need to, since 2008 the interest doesn’t even pay for my shooting!

2 hours ago, al4x said:

I’ve got the proceeds of our house sale in there pending the next purchase.  It’s gone from earning £450 a month to £45 it’s almost funny how poor the return is but all you can say is it’s safe in there

Not exactly, your only protected for a max of £85000 per institution ( remember though that some banks are under one umbrella) 

23 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Not exactly, your only protected for a max of £85000 per institution ( remember though that some banks are under one umbrella) 

If you have a joint account I believe you get a double allowance, so £170000.

NS&I are government backed and guarantee your entire deposit. They are the only institution to do this.

Edited by Sussexboy

18 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Yes always worth remembering that. But you can double that with a  joint account ,that's unless you dont want the missus to get her hands on it. 😉

The problem with these unusual times is knowing where to invest it. I would say everything has a greater element of risk the way the world is. There is also talk of wealth tax and capital gains tax rise on the horizon. Those measures could also take the gloss of other investment opportunities.

21 hours ago, old'un said:

Back then you could buy a decent house for £25,000 today you are lucky to buy a Wendy house for under £150,000.

Edited by blackbird