White tailed Eagle Norfolk ?

islandgun

They go to great lengths in their FAQ to convince the reader that the eagles will not be a threat to the vast majority of resident wildlife - it is stressed that they prefer fishing in shallow coastal waters and take carrion both from land and water's edge.   They state that the lambs taken in Scotland are more than likely sick/injured/dead ones which the eagles eat due to lack of any other abundant food.

I do get the feeling they're trying a softly-softly back door way of warming up the shooting community to the idea.  They repeatedly suggest that sea eagles actually prey on buzzards.  They provide a link to a summary of a report from Lithuania, which isn't exactly cast-iron proof in itself but when you look at the numbers...

The remains of nestling Common Buzzards were observed in 9% of successful nests

... we're not exactly going to see a decline in buzzards, are we!

Apparently on the Isle of Wight they take a lot of rabbit, but supposedly there has been "no conflict" with game shooting.  I feel that after only 18 months since their release in August 2019 it's way too early to draw any conclusions.

I live in an area where red kites were reintroduced, at many locations as far back as 20+ years ago.  The kites have flourished.  There's literally dozens of them circling the surrounding area at any one time.  Our shoot is right next to the village and I have witnessed kites come in to my pens and clean up dead birds in the summer; they have also nicked one or two fallen birds on a shoot day that didn't get retrieved straight away.  However I'd say in no way are they a threat to game shooting, from my experiences.  The buzzards are the real pain but even with them being quite prolific round here the overall problem isn't really that big.

But would the sea eagle slot back in to the UK's ecosystem as seamlessly as the red kite?  That's the question, and I wouldn't take Wild Ken Hill's word for it.

Interestingly, they mention that they have "an exit strategy" in case the reintroduction doesn't go to plan, but they don't go in to any detail on what the exit strategy actually involves.  It's surely a difficult thing to reverse once you've released eagles in to the wild!

Watched BBC Winter Watch and Packham going on about introducing animals that have not been seen in the UK landscape for many many years, he did a piece on the success story of the Red Kite and how nature had found a balance to allow these birds to thrive, I had to smile while watching as someone came into camera shot emptying a wheel barrow full of meat scraps with around 200 Red Kites circling overhead waiting to be feed, and of course these birds don't do much damage to other wildlife as they are scavengers. Yep Mr Packham that looks completely natural seeing so many birds relying on someone to keep them alive, natural balance my rear-end.

I'm almost actually vomiting to think I might be defending ****wit Packham... but they're making a TV programme: they are most likely feeding the birds as a bit of a stunt for the cameras?  Kites are more than adept at looking after themselves, but the same as any scavenger they take the easy meal first.

We have quite few Sea Eagles here, they are happy to take any lambs [wheres the compensation from wj rspb collection box  ?] Its also a fantastic sight to see them at close range or soaring above. perhaps the shooting industry should claim the moral high ground for feeding all these BOP Kites etc...... BASC ... anyone ? 

Edited by islandgun

I am not bothered at all, they will probably all $$$* off to the Isle of White to be with their mates. Far more bothered by the local wildlife trusts who refuse to fulfil their obligation to at least try and control foreign invasive species, muntjac and grey squirrels.

57 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

So they will be taking a eagle from a nest in a area they thrive in away from the parents 

put it in a enclosure and release it into a strange area where it’s got to fend for itself without the guidance of the parent birds 

or am I missing something 

Careful - that looks like an outbreak of common sense to me - very dangerous

On 03/02/2021 at 14:31, Old farrier said:

So they will be taking a eagle from a nest in a area they thrive in away from the parents 

put it in a enclosure and release it into a strange area where it’s got to fend for itself without the guidance of the parent birds 

or am I missing something 

Possibly you are?  If the eagles have already been successfully released into other areas across Europe then the people doing it must presumably have confidence in their methods, as proved by the eagles' survival thereafter.  Let's not judge until we have some sort of solid evidence.  I really don't think it's anything to be worried about :)